• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Are agents the problem?

Since the SB, there have been several threads regarding why players stay with the Pats for less money as opposed to leaving for big contracts (like they do on every other team). I can't understand why players who are already millionaires would take $5 million to play for a crappy team when they could get $3 million to play for a contender. Then it hit me- maybe the agents are driving them to greed.

Someone mentioned that Pat Williams' agent isn't very good and tends to overvalue players, leaving them in bad situations. In the Wahle thread, he said he'd like to stay with the Packers but needs to think of this as a "business decision and leave emotion out of it." Ironic how both their agents will make much bigger commissions if these guys go to other teams.

I have to wornder how much influence agents have over their clients- it seems to me agents are a huge factor in the greed that currently drives pro sports. Guys who have done nothing but play this game for their entire lives suddenly stop caring about winning and start caring about money.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

I have often wondered the same thing.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Isn't that a rhetorical question?
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

******* agents are the huge problem. Guys like Rosenhaus, the idiotic Poston brothers, and even Angelo Wright. They are always overvaluing their player and care more about the bucks than anything else.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
          I can't understand why players who are already millionaires would take $5 million to play for a crappy team when they could get $3 million to play for a contender. Then it hit me- maybe the agents are driving them to greed.
          I'll tell ya what,

Lets dangle a 5 million $$ stack and a 3 million $$ stack in front of you and lets see how your decision process functions.

2 million a year is a heckuva alotta jack. Its makes a significant difference in your future investments, and lifestyle.

Football players have a small window with a tremendous amount of uncertainty to make there coin. Agents might be steering them, but it probably isn't a hard ship to steer.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

money can't buy a ring, and if you make $3 million instead of $5 million, it's not like you're gonna starve. Anyone who makes $3 million a year for a decade or so and can't figure out a way to live off of it doesn't deserve the money in the first place.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              money can't buy a ring, and if you make $3 million instead of $5 million, it's not like you're gonna starve. Anyone who makes $3 million a year for a decade or so and can't figure out a way to live off of it doesn't deserve the money in the first place.

Players stay on the Patriots for under market value because they have won 3 of 4 SBs and can probably win a couple more.

Can you say that about the Bills? Honestly, can you tell a player, if you stay with the team we will definately win a SB, even though we never have and haven't even been in the playoffs in 5 years.

In that case why not go to the team that will pay you more? You have just as much chance of winning it all with that team than the Bills.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

In that case why not go to the team that will pay you more? You have just as much chance of winning it all with that team than the Bills.
                Depends on the team- Vikings, Jets, Bucs- I agree. Browns, 49ers, Cardinals, Dolphins- those franchises have several years before they'll win anything.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                X