PDA

View Full Version : Arizona CB Starks to Patriots for 3rd rounder

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
ESPN.Com’s Len Pasquarelli is reporting the Arizona Cardinals are close to completing a deal to trade CB Duane Starks to the New England Patriots for a third-round draft choice in 2005.

Starks has missed 23 games over the past three seasons with a variety of injuries, including a torn anterior cruciate ligament that sidelined him for the entire 2003 campaign.

http://theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=2350

Uh oh. Here go the Pats again. I hope to God they didn't just find another diamond in the rough, those bastards. :mad:

BillsFever21
03-02-2005, 09:30 PM
That sucks.

kevinj22
03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
That's why they are the champs. They don't have to go crazy, they are just very efficient at finding guys to fill there needs. I just hope that we are as patient at finding the right guys to fill our needs. I trust TD and I "REALLY" trust MM.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Starks was drafted in the 1st round by the Ravens in 98 I think. I don't recall him being any good at Baltimore though. :idunno:

BillsFever21
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Starks was drafted in the 1st round by the Ravens in 98 I think. I don't recall him being any good at Baltimore though. :idunno:20 INT's and 6 FF's over 4 years isn't too shabby. I'd take it.

http://www.nfl.com/partners/aol?http://nfl.com/

Jersey1031
03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Uh oh. Here go the Pats again. I hope to God they didn't just find another diamond in the rough, those bastards. :mad:

he'll probly turn into an amazing player, and pro bowler...

Tatonka
03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
starks was an amazing cb with baltimore.. he signed a big fat FA deal with AZ.. then kept getting hurt, which was not his MO before going to arizona.

it is a good damn signing.. especially for a 3rd rounder.. which is typical of the pats.. ****ing bastards.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I hate them. :mad::mad:

Ickybaluky
03-02-2005, 10:03 PM
If healthy, he is a real ball-hawk and a top cover guy. He doesn't fit the profile for most of the Pats CB, as he isn't a strong tackler. However, the guy comes up with a lot of big plays, has a real nose for the ball. He is a top-notch cover guy, and is re-doing his contract to be more cap-friendly.

However, the guy has a major injury history. He missed all of 2003 with a torn ACL. He returned last year, but had to play through a dislocated shoulder. He has had a lot of nagging injuries as well, with groin and hamstring issues.

Basically, he will come pretty cheap (when you look at the contracts CB are signing now) and has top cover-ability and ball-hawking skills. However, it is a risk because he has had trouble staying healthy. He isn't real big (5-10, 175#). The Pats may be looking at him as a nickel defender.

The compensation isn't bad. The Pats are giving up the last pick in the 3rd round, but the teams will swap spots in the 5th (with the Pats moving up). Pretty cheap.

Basically, the guy is a steal if he stays on the field. But that is a big if.

ryjam282
03-03-2005, 07:10 AM
WOW, very good deal for the Pats, man, they have a great F.O. always getting something done to help the team. I respect them as an organization but I just hate them as a team, probably cause they kick our butts so much :(

Mr. Miyagi
03-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Basically, the guy is a steal if he stays on the field. But that is a big if.
I hope he stays in that whirlpool. :mad:

R. Rich
03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Starks was drafted in the 1st round by the Ravens in 98 I think. I don't recall him being any good at Baltimore though. :idunno:

Are you serious??? Starks and McAllister were the starters for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl. He was a very good corner before injuries started to affect him. He's still decent, but nowhere near as good as before.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Pats always make these smart moves but they never get the buzz that other moves get.

BuffaloRanger
03-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Pats moves look smart because they fall in to great coaching, have great key players, and they never get a bad call against them.

mysticsoto
03-03-2005, 11:24 AM
It's not really that surprising. They let Ty Law go, and let their pseudo-actually-played-pretty-well CB Troy Brown go. They had to get someone...why not take a chance with a potential 1st rounder (who gets injured alot) and just pay a 3rd round for him. The chance is probably worth it, and if they feel he's fragile, use him at the Nickel position so he is less physically challenged.