• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Ideal small-name FA signings for 2 positions

DT>Tony Williams-Defensive tackle for the Bengals the past few seasons. He's probably the best defensive tackle left. He broke his ankle last season, but he's a pretty solid lineman. I can see TD going for this guy with some help from Tim Krummie and perhaps Takeo. Krummie was his defensive line coach before and Takeo was his teammate.

TE>Anthony Becht-Never really developed as the big play TE the jets wanted, but the guy is a good blocker and not a bad red zone threat. He's a lot faster than he looks. I think this is the best fit for the power running game we are using. Marcus Pollard and Freddie Jones are more receivers than they are good blockers. This is why they drafted Tim Euhus as a receiving threat.
  • Sportsuser101
    • Feb 2005

I'd take Hovan before I took Williams. I think TD would too because of his thinking to sign any high motor white guy. Hovan is younger too. I think Krummie would do a great job with Hovan especially as the 3rd guy in the rotation to replace Adams and Edwards.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
      • May 2004

Hovan is no longer productive. Give me Williams all day. Slap the #93 on him and we can pretend everything is just like last year!
      "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
      --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I'd take even a smaller name at TE - Jeb Putzier from Denver (if the Broncs haven't locked him up). Still young at 26 and caught more passes for more yards than Marcus Pollard last season. May be a better receiver than blocker at this point in his career, however.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

I don't think we will bother with tony williams....Don't we still have ron edwards on the roster ?????.....it seemed like he was coming on last season ....his pass rushing skills have improved a great deal .......

Bmax

Comment

• Johnny Utah
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Feb 2005

If TD makes no effort to sign a Dt, then that means they have full confidence in Ron Edwards as a starter, but isn't Ron Edwards more productive as a pass rusher? We need someone who can help stuff the run.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
              Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
              • Jul 2002

I think TD's hoping Anderson can stuff the run while Edwards rushes the passer.

God give me style and give me grace
              God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                • Mar 2003

No depth at DT! Maybe Edwards or maybe Anderson can fill in for Pat. What if Adams getrs hurt?

And Adams doesn't play every down. So the DTs become Edwards and Anderson with Bannon spelling them. WTF?

Bills could look at signing LB Kendrell Bell and go to the 3-4. He's a former Steeler, so TD will have to at least look at him.
                Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• R. Rich
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  I'd take even a smaller name at TE - Jeb Putzier from Denver (if the Broncs haven't locked him up). Still young at 26 and caught more passes for more yards than Marcus Pollard last season. May be a better receiver than blocker at this point in his career, however.
                  That's a good call, Jan. He looked pretty decent last year and could be worth a look at the right price.

Comment

• Bmax
                    • Aug 2003

I say when all is said and done we will bring in a vet for a year or two to provide depth....Plus with bannan i think he will stay at DT... We have some guys with years under their belt.....Let's see how anderson plays in 2005 .. He was a beast at ohio st...I say he plays much better this year with a year uner his belt

Bmax

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by R. Rich
                      That's a good call, Jan. He looked pretty decent last year and could be worth a look at the right price.
                      True but we would have to give up a 7th round pick for him. I'm not sure where I read that it was a 7th round pick but I remember seeing it somewhere.
                      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• R. Rich
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                        True but we would have to give up a 7th round pick for him. I'm not sure where I read that it was a 7th round pick but I remember seeing it somewhere.
                        You never want to lose a draft pick, but I could deal with a 7th rounder for Putzier.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                          • Mar 2003

I liked what I saw from him last year as well. I'd give a 7th for him.
                          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                            I would guess that would be a compensatory pick awarded by the league for our signing him as a restricted FA - not OUR 7th round pick.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I would guess that would be a compensatory pick awarded by the league for our signing him as a restricted FA - not OUR 7th round pick.
                              I'm pretty sure its our 7th round pick. Just like when the Redskins signed Coles and the Jets got the Redskins 1st round pick. Same situation.
                              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

Working...
                              X