PDA

View Full Version : Let's Guess

ghz in pittsburgh
03-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Most of these FA visiting news came from the agents - if I were an agent of a FA, I'd even pick up a phone and call reporters telling them that my client is visting this and that team. There might be some untrue statements and last minute changes, for the most part, I'll believe what they say. Mind you the Lenny, Mort, Clayton's of the world are very familiar with the agents and at least half of their information came from various agents.

That said, the silence from OBD can be attributed to
1) They want to ride out the first wave and pick bargains from what's left.
2) They don't like anybody out there.
3) Ralph has no more money left or don't want to spend for big signing bonuses.
4) TD called the agents in the first hour of March 2 and gave a few 30-minute-only offers and no one reponded - you know how TD works. See Williams and Jennings, they got offers last year and they didn't respond, no more coming their way.
5) The worst scenario, they called and none of the targeted FA even wants to come in for a visit!

I throw the last one out there because, like it or not, the Bills reputation takes a hit when they cut Bledsoe. Likewise NE does not have a very good reputation among FA-to-be because it is not looked upon as a heaven for money seeking established players. If we use NE as an example, this may not be a bad thing. But unlike NE, under TD the Bills are not a team that accumulates draft picks so that they can use them to acquire players of their choice.

EDS
03-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Most of these FA visiting news came from the agents - if I were an agent of a FA, I'd even pick up a phone and call reporters telling them that my client is visting this and that team. There might be some untrue statements and last minute changes, for the most part, I'll believe what they say. Mind you the Lenny, Mort, Clayton's of the world are very familiar with the agents and at least half of their information came from various agents.

That said, the silence from OBD can be attributed to
1) They want to ride out the first wave and pick bargains from what's left.
2) They don't like anybody out there.
3) Ralph has no more money left or don't want to spend for big signing bonuses.
4) TD called the agents in the first hour of March 2 and gave a few 30-minute-only offers and no one reponded - you know how TD works. See Williams and Jennings, they got offers last year and they didn't respond, no more coming their way.
5) The worst scenario, they called and none of the targeted FA even wants to come in for a visit!

I throw the last one out there because, like it or not, the Bills reputation takes a hit when they cut Bledsoe. Likewise NE does not have a very good reputation among FA-to-be because it is not looked upon as a heaven for money seeking established players. If we use NE as an example, this may not be a bad thing. But unlike NE, under TD the Bills are not a team that accumulates draft picks so that they can use them to acquire players of their choice.

The fact that the Bills cut Bledsoe does not affect what free agents think of the organization. That is crazy talk. Players get cut left and right by every team. Look at Dallas - they cut defensive leaders Woodson and Coakley yet still sign players.

Too many conspiracy theorists on this board.

Jan Reimers
03-03-2005, 09:05 AM
There are many, many quality free agents left, big names and small. Hopefully, we are talking with the ones in which we are most interested. Or, looking at the Gammon thing, we are trying to corner the market on long snappers.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 09:28 AM
There are 483 NFL Free Agents (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/03/03/billszonecom_2005_nfl_free_agency_guide.php) as of Yesterday- and what- 2 dozen signings?

Does everyone continue to forget the previous year? Most free agents aren't the superstars who get signed sight unseen. Many if not most go around to interested clubs and interview/visit/work out. Villarrial did last season. So did Vincent. They were signed 3-4 weeks into the FA process. So was Sam Adams 2 seasons ago.

Thiswill happen next year as well. I think everyone got spoiled when we got Posey 10 minutes past midnight in 2003

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
There are many, many quality free agents left, big names and small. Hopefully, we are talking with the ones in which we are most interested. Or, looking at the Gammon thing, we are trying to corner the market on long snappers.
If this guy is better than what we got- then bring him in!

I guess we have to mimmediatly imporove the "glamor" spots on the roster first and let overall improvements slide until that's done.

The King
03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
The fact that the Bills cut Bledsoe does not affect what free agents think of the organization. That is crazy talk. Players get cut left and right by every team. Look at Dallas - they cut defensive leaders Woodson and Coakley yet still sign players.

Too many conspiracy theorists on this board.

Woodson retired.

Billsouth
03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
i think he meant to say wiley

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
MAybe TD is saving his money for the June 1 cuts.