The real problem with the Bledsoe/Losman situation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The real problem with the Bledsoe/Losman situation...

... is that this team ended up in it in the first place. They were forced to choose between a washed-up, mistake-prone veteran who can't win the big game and a raw 2nd-year QB with no starts or significant NFL experience. This never should have happened. What could have been done?

1. Never trade for Bledsoe- I think this would have been the wrong move. We desperately needed a QB and TD got back the first round pick that we traded for him (Peerless Price for Willis McGahee? That's like a Madden trade).

2. Cut Bledsoe after the '03 season. At this point, Bledsoe had struggled for a year and a half. But all the QB's available would have been Bledsoe with a different name (Warner, Brunnel, Henson- these guys couldn't have done any better). Also, Gilbride's system was so bad that it was difficult to evaluate Drew. Looking back on it, this may not have been such a bad idea.

3. Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option. Mularkey was in a tough position- I'm sure he didn't want to make the same mistake the Giants did with Eli Manning and ruin a shot at the playoffs. Plus it's tough to pull a QB when the team's winning. But putting Losman in would have given him some more meaningful experience and this season would start smoother. As much as I enjoyed the late-season winning streak and playoff run, it may have cost us the '05 season. We ended up with the worst of both worlds- no playoffs and no playing time for Losman.

But I digress. I'm not a GM or a football coach, so I'm not entirely sure what all the options were. But the point is that we ended up in a QB situation where they were forced to choose the lesser of two evils (the coaches decided it was Losman and I think they're right). With better planning, this never would have happened in the first place- either choice would have put the upcoming season at risk for different reasons, and I resent that.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Iehoshua
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
    2. Cut Bledsoe after the '03 season.
    This is what I wanted done.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
      This is what I wanted done.
      as many of us wanted...but (and here we go again) the replacement would have been? give a viable alternative.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Iehoshua
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        as many of us wanted...but (and here we go again) the replacement would have been? give a viable alternative.
        I'd have taken Warner or Garcia over Bledsoe as a backup. This is all assuming what ifs and other intangibles but it's pointless debate.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

I'd have taken Warner or Garcia over Bledsoe as a backup. This is all assuming what ifs and other intangibles but it's pointless debate.
          Bledsoe was the starter in '04 not the back up...Warner and Garcia panned out really well in NY and Cleveland didn't they...one is already on the street and the other could still be released...again, give me an alternative to Bledsoe for the '04 season. We had this debate last year...and the year before that...everybody *****es but nobody has a solution...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Why do we continue to dwell on the past? What purpose does it serve?

Hindsight makes geniuses of us all.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BAM
              • Sep 2003

This is all assuming what ifs and other intangibles but it's pointless debate.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

"Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option."

contradicting your other thread?
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

I thought all along that Losman should have been given some plays in the games in the second half of the season. Give him some reps under normal conditions instead of garbage time. Of all the gimmick plays Mularkey ran, he never did that.

Comment

• Buckets
                    • Jun 2003

[QUOTE=mybills]"Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option."QUOTE]

Wasn'nt Lossman injured that year?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

[QUOTE=Buckets]
                      Originally posted by mybills
                      "Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option."QUOTE]

no...Losman was in college in '03.

Comment

• ExWNYer
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        3. Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option. Mularkey was in a tough position- I'm sure he didn't want to make the same mistake the Giants did with Eli Manning and ruin a shot at the playoffs. Plus it's tough to pull a QB when the team's winning. But putting Losman in would have given him some more meaningful experience and this season would start smoother. As much as I enjoyed the late-season winning streak and playoff run, it may have cost us the '05 season. We ended up with the worst of both worlds- no playoffs and no playing time for Losman.
                        This would NOT have been the best option, especially with Losman not available. As it is, the Bills missed the playoffs by one game...a game they could have, and should have won at home in the last week. Bledsoe was not great but he's not the sole reason this team missed the playoffs. There was no option available that would have been better. It's over and done with now...let's move forward, not look back.
                        "I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck" - Jimmy Buffett

Proud alumnus of the 2011 'Final Four' VCU Rams!

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

"Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option."

contradicting your other thread?
                          which other thread?
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Why do we continue to dwell on the past? What purpose does it serve?

Hindsight makes geniuses of us all.

I got off track- the point wasn't really to re-hash who should have been playing when- the point was that we ended up in a crappy QB situation that never should have occurred in the first place.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

[QUOTE=Buckets]
                              "Bench Bledsoe during the '03 season. Looking back, I think this would have been our best option."QUOTE]

His name is Losman (one s) he was injured in 04, and it was OpIv's quote, not mine.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X