PDA

View Full Version : Texans keeping Payne

Gunzlingr
03-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Seth Payne found his way back to Houston on Wednesday, even if he did have to take the long way.

Payne departed Houston early Wednesday morning en route to New York for a visit with the Jets. Long after nightfall, the unrestricted free-agent nose tackle was back in Houston, where today he will put his signature on a four-year, $16 million contract that includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

Meanwhile, the Texans entertained linebacker Morlon Greenwood, who started 15 games for the Dolphins last season and has been in the starting lineup for at least 11 games in each of his four years in the NFL.

Greenwood has visits scheduled with other teams, but if the Texans are as convincing with him as they were with Payne, additional trips might be unnecessary.

Payne heard the Jets' sales pitch Wednesday and also had visits scheduled with Cleveland and New Orleans. But dialogue between his agent and the Texans continued, and an agreement was reached Wednesday evening.

"When I was driving to the airport (Wednesday) morning, I was resigned to leaving the city," Payne said. "I only got about two hours of sleep (Tuesday night). It was a tough feeling, but at the same time, I felt they had decided to go in another direction.

"It's not like I was trying to play the Jets or any of these other teams. I was not posturing. Both sides just got a better feel for what a fair price would be. To spend the first three years in Houston and then leave when they're on the verge of some really good things would have been tough."

more (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3066150)

Gunzlingr
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Jets got screwed again :snicker:

mysticsoto
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Jets got screwed again :snicker:
I love it. People avoid the Jets like the Black Plague.

Michael82
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I thought the Texans were signing that other big DT? Was that all a smokescreen to scare Payne?