PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the plan is to take a step back and rebuild...

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Let's look on the other side of the coin for a minute.

Jennings and Williams are gone. The Bills have yet to address the OT or DT position. (First, we should all stay calm because there are a lot of days before camp opens). Maybe the Pittsburgh game convinced the Bills that they are further away then they thought; a little tinker here, a little tinker there wasn't enough. So, rather than take two years to right the ship the Bills are doing a wide spread change. With the amount of FA they have after the 2006 season maybe they are going to see what these guys can do.

Take a look at DT. Adams is set through 2006. Bannan and Edwards need to step up and show they can play to get signed beyond 2005. Anderson is a kid who will get some playing time. They could build from within and have 2 solid stars by 2006.

OT. I haven't a clue what the thought here is but maybe the team feels good enough about MW and Trey Teague at the tackles that they are willing to wait until 2006 to bring in somebody else. TT gets a year to show that he can play tackle and if not he is free to leave after 2005.

Then in 2006 the Bills can restock with players from their own roster, free agents and the draft. They could be as much as $20 mil going into FA next year (if not more). Losing PW and JJ will fetch some compensation picks and they will have their 1st rounder in 2006.

This could be it: See what you got internally this year while JP has the year to learn on the fly. Resign those FA that are of great value after 2005. Reset in 2006 through FA (when you got significant money to spend) and the draft (compensation picks from JJ and PW). This allows JP to mature even more and the team to gel. Then you go for it all in 2007.

We'll see.

Forward_Lateral
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
What have the Bills been doing for the past 7 years? Haven't we gone through enough "rebuilding" years? I'm getting sick and tired of it, to be honest, I don't care if it's a good excuse or not, it's an OLD excuse, and I'm sick of it. The Bills will become a laughing stock if they aren't careful.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
:(

The King
If thats what they are doing then trade Nate

Iehoshua
rebuild
Tom Donahoe:oj:Me

BAM
03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
If this is the plan they are blowing smoke up a few million fans' pant legs.

"JP is the best option. We're moving forward." yada yada yada :yap:

ddaryl
03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Not step back and rebuild

2 players are far form a rebuilding, not to mention how much those 2 players did sign for.

We have plenty of young players that our coaches are confident with, and after a few years of spending we need to gain some fiscal stregth back to be beter off in the near future.

We'll bring in OL to help the line, and a backup QB. After that we are esentially the same team as last year IMO minus DB.

I fully expect a few players to step up for us.

dannyek71
03-03-2005, 11:47 AM
im so sick of the r word

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Not step back and rebuild

2 players are far form a rebuilding, not to mention how much those 2 players did sign for.

We have plenty of young players that our coaches are confident with, and after a few years of spending we need to gain some fiscal stregth back to be beter off in the near future.

We'll bring in OL to help the line, and a backup QB. After that we are esentially the same team as last year IMO minus DB.

I fully expect a few players to step up for us.
your T right now are MW and Dylan McFarland...not one backup on the roster...that is not the same team as last year.

Jan Reimers
03-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Please, Eb, I'm getting too old for any more rebuilding. For me, at least, the future is now.

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Please, Eb, I'm getting too old for any more rebuilding. For me, at least, the future is now.
which was my argument for keeping Bledsoe...better to have made the crap shoot called the playoffs in 2005 than roll the dice like they are doing now...if help doesn't come in FA where will it come from?? No 1st rounder to plug in and, imo, the OL is a wreck.

Forward_Lateral
03-03-2005, 11:56 AM
If the Bills go through another year of rebuilding, a lot of things in my living room will need rebuilding every Monday.

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 12:02 PM
just the thought of the r word made me so sick that I can't even come up with a germaine response to this thread

Michael82
03-03-2005, 12:21 PM
:ill: :puke:

don137
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I think they are very close to being a playoff team even with the losses of PW and JJ. It all depends on how many mistakes Losman makes. I agree I think Donohoe will re-tool next year but this will be a good chance to see if Teague can do it at LT and if Anderson/ Edwards can replace PW.
I don't feel they will take a step back in 2005 but I feel 2006 they will take a giant step forward.

ddaryl
03-03-2005, 12:31 PM
your T right now are MW and Dylan McFarland...not one backup on the roster...that is not the same team as last year.
You for got Jason Peters, and David Pruce as OT on the Bills roster.

Price has not signed with anyone else but is replaceable. Its only day 2 of FA.

We will bring in some OL via FA and the draft before training camp starts.

We lost PW but we have his replacement on the roster in Edwards. Bannan Sape, and Anderson will be good depth at DT. Not to worried here considering 98% of the D is still in tact

We are going to be close to the same team as last year minus DB IMO.

buffalofan19
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
You for got Jason Peters, and David Pruce as OT on the Bills roster.

Price has not signed with anyone else but is replaceable. Its only day 2 of FA.

We will bring in some OL via FA and the draft before training camp starts.

We lost PW but we have his replacement on the roster in Edwards. Bannan Sape, and Anderson will be good depth at DT. Not to worried here considering 98% of the D is still in tact

We are going to be close to the same team as last year minus DB IMO.Jason Peters is not going to be a starting caliber lineman this year. Don't get me wrong, I like his athletcism, size etc. but the transition to OL takes longer than one year, especially in the NFL.

I'm not sold on Ron Edwards. Yes, he made some plays, but that was only when inserted only once every 5-6 plays. He was the starter in 2002, but was ineffective.His ability to line up every down and be consistant and effective really concerns me.

Also, the only one of the "backups" who seem to have potential are Anderson and maybe Bannan. Sape hasn't looked that great even in preseason agains 3rd and 4th stringers.

Who the hell is David Pruce?

The o-line still needs alot of work if the Bills are going to be a playoff team. I, unfortunately think a "rebuilding" year is inevitable now (unfortunately), and not just because the Bills have an inexperienced starting quarterback.

finsrclowns
03-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm not ready to call the GM and the HC bald faced liars. I listened to what they said. I saw their lips moving. They said we weren't taking a step back when they released Bledsoe. TD had to know it was near certainty that JJ wasn't coming back and that PW's was 50/50 at best. He still has room for a few new faces in FA and he has the draft to fill holes.

Every team loses players in FA. It happens. That isn't an excuse to say we're "rebuilding". If it is, I ain't buying it. Especially when the powers that be have said just the opposite.

Historian
03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
What have the Bills been doing for the past 7 years? Haven't we gone through enough "rebuilding" years?

Exactly. Time to put up or shut up.

jamze132
03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I wonder what Moulds is thinking right about now.

Typ0
03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
which was my argument for keeping Bledsoe...better to have made the crap shoot called the playoffs in 2005 than roll the dice like they are doing now...if help doesn't come in FA where will it come from?? No 1st rounder to plug in and, imo, the OL is a wreck.

If DB couldn't take this team to the playoffs last year what makes you think he was going to take them next year with downgrades at key positions?

I was thinking about all of this today myself...perhaps what TD is going to do is use some of our current $$ to sign Clements and develop some of the players on our roster...then next year we will be well postioned to keep some of the FA we want and sign others and make a run. I can't say I like the idea...I just hate this thinking that everything is going to be so loaded into 2006. It's one season that can too easily be ended by a loss in the playoffs. The way things stand...our run defense has taken a serious hit, we still need help in the backfield and a good pass rusher. Things look kind of bleak for next season no doubt...but there just is no way that DB made things look any better. At least we are going to be putting more effort into developing our young QB...a guy that IMO couldn't be any worse that DB. Yeah he might throw away a couple games...but so would DB.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Why do you equate starting JP to rebuilding? Nothing has changed with the team that wouldn't have happened even if Drew was still here. Cap is cap. Money is money. Contracts are what they are.

I mean, at least wait until the season starts and we actually see him play before you give up on the season. I gave up last off season fro the most part because I had seen Drew play for 11 years and knew what he was (and was not) capable of. With JP however, there is no reason to see the glass as half empty unless you want to see it that way.

Iehoshua
03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
I gave up last off season fro the most part because I had seen Drew play for 11 years and knew what he was (and was not) capable of.

I didn't have much faith last year either... Reminded me of '01 when I had even less faith...

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 02:56 PM
He should have been cut after the '03 season but it's a moot point now.

He. Is. Gone.

Move. On.

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Why do you equate starting JP to rebuilding? Nothing has changed with the team that wouldn't have happened even if Drew was still here. Cap is cap. Money is money. Contracts are what they are.

I mean, at least wait until the season starts and we actually see him play before you give up on the season. I gave up last off season fro the most part because I had seen Drew play for 11 years and knew what he was (and was not) capable of. With JP however, there is no reason to see the glass as half empty unless you want to see it that way.
I am not equating it with rebuilding...I never said the team is rebuilding because JP is the starter. I said that possibly the Bills are rebuilding and have decided to go in a different direction now then stick with DB one more season.

Why must you equate everything I say regarding JP as a put down. I never said the kid can't do it. I have said we have no clue what he can and that he might in fact be worse than DB for a while, possibly forever. He might be better than DB. Time will tell. Don't equate my argument that DB was better for 2005 with meaning that I think JP is/will be a bust. I was happy that the Bills drafted him and have defended the trade numerous times against those (including I believe YOU) that have said the price was too high. You want me to look at the glass being half-full? I have done that with JP. You want me to do that with the outlook for the Bills 2005 season? At this time I cannot do that. Take a hard look at the personnel on the OL and DL. Until there is serious repair to those facets I cannot be optimistic. Right now this team has no servicable LT or LG and serious questions at C, RT, the Edwards/Bannan/Anderson DT position and LDE.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I am not equating it with rebuilding...I never said the team is rebuilding because JP is the starter. I said that possibly the Bills are rebuilding and have decided to go in a different direction now then stick with DB one more season.:huh:

What is the difference? You are saying that they are "possibly rebuilding and going in a different direction now" rather than "stick with DB one more season". That means you think keeping Drew would not be rebuilding and starting JP is. Otherwise why mention keeping Drew at all?

You want me to do that with the outlook for the Bills 2005 season? At this time I cannot do that. Take a hard look at the personnel on the OL and DL. Until there is serious repair to those facets I cannot be optimistic. Right now this team has no servicable LT or LG and serious questions at C, RT, the Edwards/Bannan/Anderson DT position and LDE.You know as well as I do that I was not optimistic about the '04 season. I am amazed that they went 9-7, so I was wrong about the season (but right about Drew). Given how well the D/ST played, and given WM/LE's emergence, why shouldn't I have more optimism about '05?

Were you more or less optimistic about '04 than '05? The problems you state, e.g., OL, are still the same now as they were then (sans JJ). And he wasn't a pro-bowler, and going into '04 the OL was considered crap. So, if you say you were more optimistic before '04 than now, then that pretty much puts it on your faith in Drew. Alot more is positive about the team now than it was in the '04 offseason.

Tell me this...what would be different for the Bills '05 season if DB were still here?

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
:huh:

What is the difference? You are saying that they are "possibly rebuilding and going in a different direction now" rather than "stick with DB one more season". That means you think keeping Drew would not be rebuilding and starting JP is. Otherwise why mention keeping Drew at all??

Your logic is flawed. I am not saying they are rebuilding BECAUSE they are going with JP. I am saying that they might be rebuilding so the thinking is to go with JP INSTEAD of staying with DB. That, IF, they are rebuilding there would be no reason to keep DB around (regardless who was waiting in the wings).

You know as well as I do that I was not optimistic about the '04 season. I am amazed that they went 9-7, so I was wrong about the season (but right about Drew). Given how well the D/ST played, and given WM/LE's emergence, why shouldn't I have more optimism about '05???
I predicted 7-9 or 8-8...and only on the basis of the home schedule. I have less optimism RIGHT NOW (that can change based on what happens in FA) because at least they had JJ and Marcus Price on the OL and PW on the DL. Those are major subtractions on a team that will have a harder schedule than 2004. Combine that with there not being a lot available in FA and no 1st rounder to plug in and there is real reason for concern.

Were you more or less optimistic about '04 than '05? The problems you state, e.g., OL, are still the same now as they were then (sans JJ). And he wasn't a pro-bowler, and going into '04 the OL was considered crap. So, if you say you were more optimistic before '04 than now, then that pretty much puts it on your faith in Drew. Alot more is positive about the team now than it was in the '04 offseason.

Tell me this...what would be different for the Bills '05 season if DB were still here?

It has nothing to do with faith in Drew. I wouldn't be kicked in the ass over this OL right now with JK in his prime at QB. The OL is much worse off now than it was a year ago. The LT and LG positions are manned by crap and less than crap. The TEs are a shambles. The latest reports have Euhus and Campbell possibly missing all of training camp and maybe not even ready for the season opener. The only positive (in your eyes) is that DB is gone and JP is starting.

And nothing would be different if DB were still here...or like I said if JK were here and in his prime. The OL, right now, is a mess. From left to right it is McFarland, Tucker, Teague, Villarial and Williams. The TE is Trafford? The back ups are Sobieski and Pruce? That is even less than last year.....remind me again about all those positives you see (other than DB being gone).

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Your logic is flawed. I am not saying they are rebuilding BECAUSE they are going with JP. I am saying that they might be rebuilding so the thinking is to go with JP INSTEAD of staying with DB. That, IF, they are rebuilding there would be no reason to keep DB around (regardless who was waiting in the wings).No, your logic is flawed or you are double-talking and don't realize it.

"I am saying that they might be rebuilding so the thinking is to go with JP INSTEAD of staying with DB."

Which is the equivalent to:

"If they weren't rebuilding, they would have stayed with DB"

And nothing would be different if DB were still here...or like I said if JK were here and in his prime. The OL, right now, is a mess. From left to right it is McFarland, Tucker, Teague, Villarial and Williams. The TE is Trafford? The back ups are Sobieski and Pruce? That is even less than last year.....remind me again about all those positives you see (other than DB being gone).So, why even bring up Drew or JP? Your main concerns are OL and TE. That has nothing to do with keeping Drew, and in fact you say it wouldn't matter if JK were here. Flawed logic.

As for the positives over last offseason? Hmm...let's see.

1. WM is the real deal. We had no clue if he could do it and he shined.
2. LE. See above.
3. The D gelled and was #2 in the league.
4. The ST gelled and was #1 in the league.
5. McGee turned out to be a great returner.
6. All of this happened with a rookie HC/OC.

How's that?

Ickybaluky
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I find it hard to believe that Ralph Wilson would buy into a rebuilding plan at this point. He hired Donohoe to straighten out a lousy cap situation and build a contender. The cap part is done, Donohoe needs to deliver on the other part. I think if Donohoe went to Wilson at this point and suggestion rebuilding he would be fired on the spot.

Iehoshua
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I also find it hard to believe we're going into next season with no replacement for JJ and PW... I hope I'm wrong...
:nervous:

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
No, your logic is flawed or you are double-talking and don't realize it.

"I am saying that they might be rebuilding so the thinking is to go with JP INSTEAD of staying with DB."

That's a cart and horse argument. I'm saying the decision to rebuild, if that is even what they are doing, could have been made AND THEN they addressed who would be the QB based on that. It has nothing to do with JP or DB affecting the direction of the team.

So, why even bring up Drew or JP? Your main concerns are OL and TE. That has nothing to do with keeping Drew, and in fact you say it wouldn't matter if JK were here. Flawed logic.

what does logic have to do with having concern over the OL regardless the QB? that makes no sense. The line, as comprised right now, would not be able to protect JK while in his prime. Stop trying to make this a discussion of keeping DB or not.

As for the positives over last offseason? Hmm...let's see.

1. WM is the real deal. We had no clue if he could do it and he shined.
2. LE. See above.
3. The D gelled and was #2 in the league.
4. The ST gelled and was #1 in the league.
5. McGee turned out to be a great returner.
6. All of this happened with a rookie HC/OC.

How's that?

1. Behind the line as contructed right now, WM isn't rushing for 1200 this year. He is better than that but needs a line.
2. LE runs patterns. He does not protect the QB. See above.
3. #2 in yardage. PW is a big loss and they still have not addressed the DE position.
4. Great. Assuming that the ST can be #1 again. Do you really think we are going to see 5 returns for TDs again next year?
5. See above.
6. I'll give you that. MM can only get better.

Right now as constructed, with the losses already suffered (JJ, PW and the potential of not resigning Marcus Price), the lack of replacements at those positions, no #1 pick and a harder schedule, this team is not in a position to be at least 9-7 again next year. All this could change depending on events that might happen. What do you envision their record being next year?

EDS
03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
That's a cart and horse argument. I'm saying the decision to rebuild, if that is even what they are doing, could have been made AND THEN they addressed who would be the QB based on that. It has nothing to do with JP or DB affecting the direction of the team.

what does logic have to do with having concern over the OL regardless the QB? that makes no sense. The line, as comprised right now, would not be able to protect JK while in his prime. Stop trying to make this a discussion of keeping DB or not.

1. Behind the line as contructed right now, WM isn't rushing for 1200 this year. He is better than that but needs a line.
3. #2 in yardage. PW is a big loss and they still have not addressed the DE position.
4. Great. Assuming that the ST can be #1 again. Do you really think we are going to see 5 returns for TDs again next year?
5. See above.
6. I'll give you that. MM can only get better.

Right now as constructed, with the losses already suffered (JJ, PW and the potential of not resigning Marcus Price), the lack of replacements at those positions, no #1 pick and a harder schedule, this team is not in a position to be at least 9-7 again next year. All this could change depending on events that might happen. What do you envision their record being next year?

Why such pessimism? We lose three starters and now the team is going to fall apart? That is crazy talk. The Pats won their first super bowl with an inexperienced second year QB and rookie left tackle. Did anyone at the time think that was possible? No. The Rams won a superbowl with an arena league castoff at QB. Did anyone think that would happen?

Ebenezer
03-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Why such pessimism? We lose three starters and now the team is going to fall apart? That is crazy talk. The Pats won their first super bowl with an inexperienced second year QB and rookie left tackle. Did anyone at the time think that was possible? No. The Rams won a superbowl with an arena league castoff at QB. Did anyone think that would happen?
My "pessimissm" stems from where they finished 2004 and where they are now. They have lost 2 major starters, haven't resigned the only depth on the OL, have no 1st round pick, have not even been rumored to have people visiting let alone rumored close to signing anybody, will have a harder schedule and are a year older. I'm not saying that 2005 is dead. I am saying that right now, all being equal, this team has already taken a step backwards and that if it doesn't start to do something it won't be as good as last year. IF this team goes into the draft as constructed right now, can you honestly hold out the optimism that was created with the good things that happened last year?

EDS
03-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Let me also add that the defense could actually improve next year. Why?

(1) Because young starters like Kelsay and McGee will have more experience.
(2) Full seasons from Vincent and Milloy at safety.

Also, the offense has potential for improvement regardless of who is signed. Right now the only two changes in the line-up are Losman and whatever tackle for Bledsoe and Jennings. I like Drew and supported him as the starter all season but he was not great last year in all honesty. Sure Losman could stink it up ala Boller but he could be halfway decent like Palmer (heck if he was as good as Palmer was, especially at the end of the season, the passing game would improve). It is not like he has to play at a pro bowl level to replace what Bledsoe gave the Bills.

As for Jonas, yes it is a big loss. But plenty of teams have survived similar losses in the past. People step up. Pittsburgh and Indy both made the playoffs last year with patchwork offensive lines (Indy had some rookie free agents playing for awhile). Obviously no guarantee but no reason to give up on the season.

Just want to add - improvement from the offense can be had inhouse. Why:

(1) Second year of Mularkey/Clements offensive scheme
(2) Potential improvement from first time starters McGahee, Evans, and Tucker.
(3) Potential "full" season from an in shape Mike Williams.

ScottLawrence
03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
My "pessimissm" stems from where they finished 2004 and where they are now. They have lost 2 major starters, haven't resigned the only depth on the OL, have no 1st round pick, have not even been rumored to have people visiting let alone rumored close to signing anybody, will have a harder schedule and are a year older. I'm not saying that 2005 is dead. I am saying that right now, all being equal, this team has already taken a step backwards and that if it doesn't start to do something it won't be as good as last year. IF this team goes into the draft as constructed right now, can you honestly hold out the optimism that was created with the good things that happened last year?

Good point.

Do you honestly expect us to go into the draft as constructed right now?

I don't, and will be very dissapointed if we do.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 06:20 PM
That's a cart and horse argument. I'm saying the decision to rebuild, if that is even what they are doing, could have been made AND THEN they addressed who would be the QB based on that. It has nothing to do with JP or DB affecting the direction of the team.I repeat,

You said: "I am saying that they might be rebuilding so the thinking is to go with JP INSTEAD of staying with DB."

I can't make it any plainer.

what does logic have to do with having concern over the OL regardless the QB? that makes no sense. The line, as comprised right now, would not be able to protect JK while in his prime. Stop trying to make this a discussion of keeping DB or not.You are the one who brought it up first, not me. So if you don't want to make this a discussion about DB, then don't bring him up in the first place.

5. See above.
6. I'll give you that. MM can only get better.1. So losing JJ means WM won't be able to run? You may want to remember the majority of his yards came from running to the RIGHT side of the line, which is still in tact.
2. That reply makes no sense whatsoever.
3. I will give you that PW is a big loss so it will be crucial to see what TD does. As for DE, we didn't have anyone across from AS this year and the D was still #2, so although I agree it is a need area, it is no worse now than it was last year.
4. Right, so we should assume they will suck next year because....?????

Right now as constructed, with the losses already suffered (JJ, PW and the potential of not resigning Marcus Price), the lack of replacements at those positions, no #1 pick and a harder schedule, this team is not in a position to be at least 9-7 again next year. Your opinion, and that's fine. I on the other hand see no reason to believe this team will do anything but the same or better, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Let me also add that the defense could actually improve next year. Why?

(1) Because young starters like Kelsay and McGee will have more experience.
(2) Full seasons from Vincent and Milloy at safety.

Also, the offense has potential for improvement regardless of who is signed. Right now the only two changes in the line-up are Losman and whatever tackle for Bledsoe and Jennings. I like Drew and supported him as the starter all season but he was not great last year in all honesty. Sure Losman could stink it up ala Boller but he could be halfway decent like Palmer (heck if he was as good as Palmer was, especially at the end of the season, the passing game would improve). It is not like he has to play at a pro bowl level to replace what Bledsoe gave the Bills.

As for Jonas, yes it is a big loss. But plenty of teams have survived similar losses in the past. People step up. Pittsburgh and Indy both made the playoffs last year with patchwork offensive lines (Indy had some rookie free agents playing for awhile). Obviously no guarantee but no reason to give up on the season.

Just want to add - improvement from the offense can be had inhouse. Why:

(1) Second year of Mularkey/Clements offensive scheme
(2) Potential improvement from first time starters McGahee, Evans, and Tucker.
(3) Potential "full" season from an in shape Mike Williams.
Agreed. This is exactly what I was trying to convey and why I am more optimistic about '05 than I was for '04.

G. Host
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Donahoe told Jennings and Williams he only had money for one big deal and that is what happened. While I wish Donahoe could have come to an arrangement with Pat Williams, obviously Pat's agent didn't submit an acceptable counter offer. Jennings was over paid by SF and there is no way that Bills should have matched that offer. Tagging him was too risky for he might has just signed it and he is not worth that much money.

Hopefully he will find a right-priced replacement in FA for Jennings and Anderson can step up.

Typ0
03-03-2005, 07:25 PM

OK....I can agree with those things....now explain to me how going with DB gave us a BETTER shot at the playoffs next season compared to last considering the downgrades and the tougher schedule -- we already have proof DB couldn't do squat with last years team accept tease us with a run against crappy opponents

ParanoidAndroid
03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Holy crap! This is day 2 of free agency and the sky is already falling. Many GMs feel that being too aggressive early in the FA period forces you to pay out the nose. It's often better to be patient and see who teams like the Raiders and Redskins have to cut loose. Donahoe has about 4 months to replace a couple of players (dont forget June cuts). There will be more players cut; talented players that can be had at bargain prices.
Personally, I think Edwards has a chance to step up. Two years ago, he was mediocre as a starter beside Williams, but he looks like he may be a heck of a lot better next to Adams. He's not as obese as Williams, and he's faster. Give him a chance. We also drafted Andreson in the 3rd round who is still developing. I think the heart of our run defense was not Pat Williams, but the ability of the line as a whole to recognize run and stay home. Enter one of the best LB tandems in the league and you still have a good run D. My only worries are the o-line and QB, but what else is new? Patience, Grasshopper.
I don't blame you for posting this thread, Eb. I'm bored too! C'mon TD! Give me sustenance! :tired:

The Patriots just traded away their 3rd round pick for a 30 year old, often injured CB, Duane Starks from Arizona. Bwahahaha!

EDS
03-04-2005, 07:43 AM
With respect to Pat Williams departure, I think another thing that bears mentioning is the improvement Edwards has shown under Krumrie's tutelege. Yes, Edwards bombed as a starter 2 years ago, but he has played well in a reserve roll the past two years under Krumrie.

Also, Pat Williams only played in 58% of the defensive plays. Do I wish he were back, yes. Is he worth the money he got? Maybe this year but would you pay a 36 year defensive tackle $4 million?

Ebenezer
03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Do you honestly expect us to go into the draft as constructed right now? I don't, and will be very dissapointed if we do.

No I don't...and I have said that in this thread...but should they, it would be a disaster

I on the other hand see no reason to believe this team will do anything but the same or better, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

Agreed. This is exactly what I was trying to convey and why I am more optimistic about '05 than I was for '04.

So, you are saying that TD is doing a fine damn job and should get an extension? If you believe that then no *****ing about TD.

OK....I can agree with those things....now explain to me how going with DB gave us a BETTER shot at the playoffs next season compared to last considering the downgrades and the tougher schedule -- we already have proof DB couldn't do squat with last years team accept tease us with a run against crappy opponents

Those arguments were made when examining where the team was and an honest attempt by the FO to make the playoffs. Without fixing the OL and the DL I am not sure that this team can make the playoffs. At that point, any support of DB being the better QB to take us to the playoffs would be moot.

Mr. Cynical
03-04-2005, 04:22 PM
So, you are saying that TD is doing a fine damn job and should get an extension? If you believe that then no *****ing about TD.
I never said TD should get an extension, nor did I say he was doing a "damn fine job". I said I am more optimistic about this season than I was going into last year. If we make the playoffs, then I'll agree he overcame his bad start and built a contender. However, if we miss them for the 5th year in a row, he should be fired. That's my stance.

Those arguments were made when examining where the team was and an honest attempt by the FO to make the playoffs. Without fixing the OL and the DL I am not sure that this team can make the playoffs. At that point, any support of DB being the better QB to take us to the playoffs would be moot.:jig: