PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan on Jennings

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on their show today- (replay at 11 PM tonight) had a great discussion about Jennings to SF.

While both were very complimentary of Jennings- both were astounded the 49ers made this deal.

Kirwan: "While Jennings is a very nice player to have, and being the best Left Tackle in Free agency- there is a huge difference between being the best out there and a big money player"

Kirwan, an ex-Jets front office guy for 10 seasons, said he called another GM freind of his and they chatted about Jennings. Kirwan asked the GM to read the scouting report back to him on Jennings. Jennings is 6-3, most Left Tackles are 3-4 inches taller. Jennings' reach is on average 3-4 inches shorter than your average left tackle. kinda short, short arms, and history of nagging injuries. He's an ideal Guard, and is versatile which is a very good thing.

Kirwan:"But just like QB's- you don't find franchise Left Tackles in free agency. The good ones get locked up"

So basically-$36 million was a panic move/ big splash move by the 49ers. He also said that OT Alex Barron will probably jump into the top 10 in the draft, and that teams desperate for a LT would be better off drafting him

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 07:16 PM
So basically-$36 million was a panic move/ big splash move by the 49ers. He also said that OT Alex Barron will probably jump into the top 10 in the draft, and that teams desperate for a LT would be better off drafting him
I wonder if there is any way in the Universe that TD could pull off a deal to take a shot at Barron.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Kirwan should know better that most rookie LT don't start at LT there rookie year.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Kirwan should know better that most rookie LT don't start at LT there rookie year.
They do if they are on the Orlando Pace/ Jonathan Ogden/ Boselli level. Is Barron on that level? Don't know. But top 10 in the draft LT's usually don't ride the pine.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
They do if they are on the Orlando Pace/ Jonathan Ogden/ Boselli level. Is Barron on that level? Don't know. But top 10 in the draft LT's usually don't ride the pine.
No I'm not saying ride the pine. I'm saying play RT or guard.

Like Ogden played guard. Pace played RT. Gallery played guard and RT. Not sure about Boselli.