To all the panic stricken-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

To all the panic stricken-

Lots of bellyaching that we aren't signing people.

In the first 24 hours, 18 free agents out of 483 were signed. Of those complaining we aren't doing anything with our $5-6 million of cap space ....who would you bring in here to sign, and how much are you paying them?

Be realistic- don't say "I'll bring in Marco Rivera" and pay him vet minimum.
  • Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Don't forget- we have to put aside $3 million or so for draft picks

Comment

• Mudflap1
      Next Question!
      • Nov 2004

I guess ANYTHING that they can do is better than what they are doing now.

The University of Buffalo has more OL depth than the Bills do right now...

Jon

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

*chirp* *chirp*

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

Roland Williams.... or we could at least be TALKING to players... maybe schedule a visit or 2... just because they aren't the top names doesn't mean we couldn't be looking for a few steals while the big names get all the attention.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

Realistically...I'd wait out the rush and see what is left after the first weekend.

I'd like Stockar McDougle or Floyd Womack but there prices need to go down hence the waiting. This is the position I'm most worried about. I'd love to get one of these guys for around $3 mil a year.

For the interior line DeMulling, Vincent, Garza would all be good. I think we could get one of them from $1.2 to $2 mil a year.

At DT i'd like Marcus Bell he is 6'2'' 339 lbs and 25 years old. That being said I'm not sure he is much better than we already got.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• juice
              • Aug 2003

What happened to the 14 Million when Bledsoe left and why dont we have a backup QB Yet?

What did MW do to deserve $3 Million in bonuses.. most weight lost during the season?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Mudflap1
                Next Question!
                • Nov 2004

After 4+ years why do we have a medicore team and only $5-$6 under the cap to spend in free agency, if your numbers are correct? Doesn't sound like Tom Donahoe is the wizard some think...

This just in, the NFL Network just covered Jordan signing with the Raiders on Raiders Cam, and Wahle signing with Carolina, and then Horton just went to Bills Cam, where the lights were off and you could hear some snoring in the background...

Oh, that's right, there was the big press conference today with J.P. Losman where he pronounced proudly that he wasn't prepared for his first game last year that he played ala Billy Joe Hobert. Our new fearless leader...

Nice start so far, real nice...

Jon

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Evey year, there is a stampede by a couple of teams (Redskins for example) and they gobble up the big names. A few more teams will be somewhat prudent and sign their own guys. Between the two- GMs around the league are guaging what the market price is for certain positions.

Right now, unless you blow a guy away with an outrageous offer- agents and teams are waiting for other players to sign to set the prices.

There are still over 100 very good players of quality - many of them better than Marcus Price- that will sign for less.

Look at the Pats- they could afford- but chose not to - bring back G Joe Andruzzi. The Pats didn't pay him the 2.5 million he wanted. They know that they can get someone of equal talent and contribution for half, or a third, of the cost. That's how they win championships. They are the "Anti-Redskins" who don't win ****.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                    After 4+ years why do we have a medicore team and only $5-$6 under the cap to spend in free agency, if your numbers are correct? Doesn't sound like Tom Donahoe is the wizard some think...

This just in, the NFL Network just covered Jordan signing with the Raiders on Raiders Cam, and Wahle signing with Carolina, and then Horton just went to Bills Cam, where the lights were off and you could hear some snoring in the background...

Oh, that's right, there was the big press conference today with J.P. Losman where he pronounced proudly that he wasn't prepared for his first game last year that he played ala Billy Joe Hobert. Our new fearless leader...

Nice start so far, real nice...

Jon
                    Raiders- good choice- they won what- 8-9 games the past 2 years combined? That's with a king's ransome in draft picks when they lost Gruden. And TD is a lousy GM?

Complaining is easy- who are your signings then?

Comment

• Demon
                      • Mar 2003

I'm not sure how to anwser your question. I don't know how the salery cap really works, because Washington keeps on spending and stuff, i don't get how some teams arn't over the cap and are allowed to keep on spending (Oakland). But, my main goal this off-season set by me was to re-sign Pat Williams. I also hoped to fill the hole left by Jennings which i knew would be gone, although i thought he'd sign with Atlanta and not SF.

So, looking at it now, we have no Williams. I'm not sure what we can or can't do, i know we need to fix alot of problems, but i think we should get a DT because Sam Adams can't play every down and well, i don't really trust Ron Edwards.

With Williams gone, my hope is for Marcus Pollard and to trade for Shelton because i think McNally could do amazing things with Shelton to get his career back on track.

How realistic is that? I don't know. How much money will Pollard want? I don't know either.
                      Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                        Evey year, there is a stampede by a couple of teams (Redskins for example) and they gobble up the big names. A few more teams will be somewhat prudent and sign their own guys. Between the two- GMs around the league are guaging what the market price is for certain positions.

Right now, unless you blow a guy away with an outrageous offer- agents and teams are waiting for other players to sign to set the prices.

There are still over 100 very good players of quality - many of them better than Marcus Price- that will sign for less.

Look at the Pats- they could afford- but chose not to - bring back G Joe Andruzzi. The Pats didn't pay him the 2.5 million he wanted. They know that they can get someone of equal talent and contribution for half, or a third, of the cost. That's how they win championships. They are the "Anti-Redskins" who don't win ****.
                        Couldn't agree more. Some people here expect a name/pro bowl player at every position, despite the fact that splashy free agent signings are not a magic elixir to post season success.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                          Next Question!
                          • Nov 2004

Didn't the Raiders go to the Super Bowl two years ago? Didn't the Raiders WIN three Super Bowls over the years? I'd take their winning percentage over the years over ours any day. Seems to me they've been in the playoffs several times in recent memory, and signing Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan ain't gonna hurt their offense. The Raiders traded an above average, good linebacker and a 1st round pick for Randy Moss, not a 1st round pick to get Drew Bledsoe, then another 1st round pick to get his successor when Bledsoe sucked up the joint. Now we're left with no 1st round pick and an unproven quarterback and six offensive linemen (including the vaunted Dylan McFarland and LT). Weak argument...

To all the TDL's (Tom Donahoe Lovers): How many seasons has he been here? How many times did we go to the playoffs in the preceding SEASONS before he got here? How many winning seasons and playoff appearances have the Bills made since he's been here?

Ain't my fault that we only have $5-$6 million to play with during TD's 5th season...

The problem with your argument is that you are asking what to do NOW with the money and make everything great when this has been a screwup for five years. You can't erase five years of mediocrity with $5 million in one offseason. This guy is supposed to be some guru, and instead he's a smarmy know-it-all who hasn't taken us anywhere.

We'll see, 'stay tuned', maybe he'll come up with something yet, but he hasn't gotten us far in five years.

What would I do? If I was Ralph Wilson I'd fire Tom Donahoe. The problem is, he should've done it 2 months ago. We laughed at Miami last year because they didn't have any quarterbacks and gutted their line. Guess what? That's what we're doing...

Jon

Comment

• kevinj22
                            • Feb 2005

That's why if they do bring Ty Law in here it had better be for peanuts or forget it. It wouldn't make sense to pay him big money. I would prefer we stick with Magee.

Comment

• Bmax
                              • Aug 2003

What you want to do is get players who will produce now at a good value price....players roland williams for a little more than the vet min....Or a guard like vincent from pittsburgh...for about 4 ys and 4.5 million ...

Bmax

Comment

Working...
                              X