PDA

View Full Version : To all the panic stricken-

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Lots of bellyaching that we aren't signing people.

In the first 24 hours, 18 free agents out of 483 were signed. Of those complaining we aren't doing anything with our $5-6 million of cap space ....who would you bring in here to sign, and how much are you paying them?

Be realistic- don't say "I'll bring in Marco Rivera" and pay him vet minimum.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Don't forget- we have to put aside $3 million or so for draft picks

Mudflap1
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I guess ANYTHING that they can do is better than what they are doing now.

The University of Buffalo has more OL depth than the Bills do right now...

Jon

The Spaz
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
*chirp* *chirp* :snicker:

Canadian'eh!
03-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Roland Williams.... or we could at least be TALKING to players... maybe schedule a visit or 2... just because they aren't the top names doesn't mean we couldn't be looking for a few steals while the big names get all the attention.

Romes
03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Realistically...I'd wait out the rush and see what is left after the first weekend.

I'd like Stockar McDougle or Floyd Womack but there prices need to go down hence the waiting. This is the position I'm most worried about. I'd love to get one of these guys for around $3 mil a year.

For the interior line DeMulling, Vincent, Garza would all be good. I think we could get one of them from $1.2 to $2 mil a year.

At DT i'd like Marcus Bell he is 6'2'' 339 lbs and 25 years old. That being said I'm not sure he is much better than we already got.

juice
03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
What happened to the 14 Million when Bledsoe left and why dont we have a backup QB Yet?

What did MW do to deserve $3 Million in bonuses.. most weight lost during the season?

Mudflap1
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
After 4+ years why do we have a medicore team and only $5-$6 under the cap to spend in free agency, if your numbers are correct? Doesn't sound like Tom Donahoe is the wizard some think...

This just in, the NFL Network just covered Jordan signing with the Raiders on Raiders Cam, and Wahle signing with Carolina, and then Horton just went to Bills Cam, where the lights were off and you could hear some snoring in the background...

Oh, that's right, there was the big press conference today with J.P. Losman where he pronounced proudly that he wasn't prepared for his first game last year that he played ala Billy Joe Hobert. Our new fearless leader...

Nice start so far, real nice...

Jon

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Evey year, there is a stampede by a couple of teams (Redskins for example) and they gobble up the big names. A few more teams will be somewhat prudent and sign their own guys. Between the two- GMs around the league are guaging what the market price is for certain positions.

Right now, unless you blow a guy away with an outrageous offer- agents and teams are waiting for other players to sign to set the prices.

There are still over 100 very good players of quality - many of them better than Marcus Price- that will sign for less.

Look at the Pats- they could afford- but chose not to - bring back G Joe Andruzzi. The Pats didn't pay him the 2.5 million he wanted. They know that they can get someone of equal talent and contribution for half, or a third, of the cost. That's how they win championships. They are the "Anti-Redskins" who don't win ****.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 08:00 PM
After 4+ years why do we have a medicore team and only $5-$6 under the cap to spend in free agency, if your numbers are correct? Doesn't sound like Tom Donahoe is the wizard some think...

This just in, the NFL Network just covered Jordan signing with the Raiders on Raiders Cam, and Wahle signing with Carolina, and then Horton just went to Bills Cam, where the lights were off and you could hear some snoring in the background...

Oh, that's right, there was the big press conference today with J.P. Losman where he pronounced proudly that he wasn't prepared for his first game last year that he played ala Billy Joe Hobert. Our new fearless leader...

Nice start so far, real nice...

Jon
Raiders- good choice- they won what- 8-9 games the past 2 years combined? That's with a king's ransome in draft picks when they lost Gruden. And TD is a lousy GM?

Complaining is easy- who are your signings then?

Demon
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure how to anwser your question. I don't know how the salery cap really works, because Washington keeps on spending and stuff, i don't get how some teams arn't over the cap and are allowed to keep on spending (Oakland). But, my main goal this off-season set by me was to re-sign Pat Williams. I also hoped to fill the hole left by Jennings which i knew would be gone, although i thought he'd sign with Atlanta and not SF.

So, looking at it now, we have no Williams. I'm not sure what we can or can't do, i know we need to fix alot of problems, but i think we should get a DT because Sam Adams can't play every down and well, i don't really trust Ron Edwards.

With Williams gone, my hope is for Marcus Pollard and to trade for Shelton because i think McNally could do amazing things with Shelton to get his career back on track.

How realistic is that? I don't know. How much money will Pollard want? I don't know either.

EDS
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Evey year, there is a stampede by a couple of teams (Redskins for example) and they gobble up the big names. A few more teams will be somewhat prudent and sign their own guys. Between the two- GMs around the league are guaging what the market price is for certain positions.

Right now, unless you blow a guy away with an outrageous offer- agents and teams are waiting for other players to sign to set the prices.

There are still over 100 very good players of quality - many of them better than Marcus Price- that will sign for less.

Look at the Pats- they could afford- but chose not to - bring back G Joe Andruzzi. The Pats didn't pay him the 2.5 million he wanted. They know that they can get someone of equal talent and contribution for half, or a third, of the cost. That's how they win championships. They are the "Anti-Redskins" who don't win ****.

Couldn't agree more. Some people here expect a name/pro bowl player at every position, despite the fact that splashy free agent signings are not a magic elixir to post season success.

Mudflap1
03-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Didn't the Raiders go to the Super Bowl two years ago? Didn't the Raiders WIN three Super Bowls over the years? I'd take their winning percentage over the years over ours any day. Seems to me they've been in the playoffs several times in recent memory, and signing Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan ain't gonna hurt their offense. The Raiders traded an above average, good linebacker and a 1st round pick for Randy Moss, not a 1st round pick to get Drew Bledsoe, then another 1st round pick to get his successor when Bledsoe sucked up the joint. Now we're left with no 1st round pick and an unproven quarterback and six offensive linemen (including the vaunted Dylan McFarland and LT). Weak argument...

To all the TDL's (Tom Donahoe Lovers): How many seasons has he been here? How many times did we go to the playoffs in the preceding SEASONS before he got here? How many winning seasons and playoff appearances have the Bills made since he's been here?

Ain't my fault that we only have $5-$6 million to play with during TD's 5th season...

The problem with your argument is that you are asking what to do NOW with the money and make everything great when this has been a screwup for five years. You can't erase five years of mediocrity with $5 million in one offseason. This guy is supposed to be some guru, and instead he's a smarmy know-it-all who hasn't taken us anywhere.

We'll see, 'stay tuned', maybe he'll come up with something yet, but he hasn't gotten us far in five years.

What would I do? If I was Ralph Wilson I'd fire Tom Donahoe. The problem is, he should've done it 2 months ago. We laughed at Miami last year because they didn't have any quarterbacks and gutted their line. Guess what? That's what we're doing...

Jon

kevinj22
03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
That's why if they do bring Ty Law in here it had better be for peanuts or forget it. It wouldn't make sense to pay him big money. I would prefer we stick with Magee.

Bmax
03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
What you want to do is get players who will produce now at a good value price....players roland williams for a little more than the vet min....Or a guard like vincent from pittsburgh...for about 4 ys and 4.5 million ...

Bmax

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Didn't the Raiders go to the Super Bowl two years ago? Didn't the Raiders WIN three Super Bowls over the years? I'd take their winning percentage over the years over ours any day. Seems to me they've been in the playoffs several times in recent memory, and signing Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan ain't gonna hurt their offense. The Raiders traded an above average, good linebacker and a 1st round pick for Randy Moss, not a 1st round pick to get Drew Bledsoe, then another 1st round pick to get his successor when Bledsoe sucked up the joint. Now we're left with no 1st round pick and an unproven quarterback and six offensive linemen (including the vaunted Dylan McFarland and LT). Weak argument...

To all the TDL's (Tom Donahoe Lovers): How many seasons has he been here? How many times did we go to the playoffs in the preceding SEASONS before he got here? How many winning seasons and playoff appearances have the Bills made since he's been here?

Ain't my fault that we only have $5-$6 million to play with during TD's 5th season...

The problem with your argument is that you are asking what to do NOW with the money and make everything great when this has been a screwup for five years. You can't erase five years of mediocrity with $5 million in one offseason. This guy is supposed to be some guru, and instead he's a smarmy know-it-all who hasn't taken us anywhere.

We'll see, 'stay tuned', maybe he'll come up with something yet, but he hasn't gotten us far in five years.

What would I do? If I was Ralph Wilson I'd fire Tom Donahoe. The problem is, he should've done it 2 months ago. We laughed at Miami last year because they didn't have any quarterbacks and gutted their line. Guess what? That's what we're doing...

JonFire everybody.....good answer

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I would not mind seeing Cosey Coleman here. Talented player who needs a boot in the ass. And he should be fairly cheap.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2005, 08:53 PM
What happened to the 14 Million when Bledsoe left and why dont we have a backup QB Yet?

What did MW do to deserve $3 Million in bonuses.. most weight lost during the season?
The Bills never really had 14 million. That amount did not count for bonuses that had been already earned.

The Bills don't have a 2nd QB because free agenct STARTED LESS THAN 48 HOURS AGO. What QB's have ben signed? Batch, Brad Johnson, Blake, Matthews, Fiedler, Stewart, etc are all still available. So who really cares if they have ben signed yet.

As for MW, he deserves the bonuses because they were in the contract he signed. I beleive most were due to playing time. And he was teh most improved player last year. Give him another season with McNally and I forsee big things.

Now if you excuse me, I have some serious panicking and over-reacting to get to.

jamze132
03-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Screw it. Lets just play iron man football. It would save us some money.

Mudflap1
03-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Dozer... you seem like a good guy and often times give very even-keeled, reasonable responses and points, like you are here. But I just don't think the Bills are heading in the right direction. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope to God I am, but that's how I feel.

First off, I never said "fire everybody." I said that Donahoe should be evaluated. Frankly, I feel he hasn't gotten the job done already, so I would've fired him after the season. Four years and no playoffs warrants that I think. If you want to give him another year, fine, but if there's no playoffs after year five, which would in turn mean an improvement over the squad fielded in year four, he's GOT to go. This team was in the playoffs the subsequent years before he came, and was 8-8 the year before he got here. Yes, there were cap problems and he got stuck with them, which is why you couldn't say in year 1 "ok Tom, why weren't we in the playoffs" and is the SAME reason you can't say to me now "ok, what are you going to do with this mess right now?" There are bigger problems and missed moves that have brought us to $6 mill under the cap, losing some of our key players, having an unproven QB, a thin line, etc. like we have today.

This isn't a panic by me. I have all along disagreed with a lot of the moves Tom Donahoe has made. This has been a 4+ year process for me. I've been waiting for the rabbit to come out of the hat where I can say "ah, it's all been leading up to this" but it's always mediocre season after mediocre season. And he's a bit smug about it all to boot.

The offensive line is something that should've been built from Day One, not with $6 million to spend in Year Five. Again, I'm not the biggest Jennings fan, I don't really care he left, but if you are leaving a guy you drafted go, then you'd better have a pretty damn good contingency plan. Maybe he does, but I don't see a guy that we can get in the draft or sign right now that's probably better. And it's Year Five, so the guy SHOULD be better than Jennings. If it's was Year One, I'd say "build, get depth" whatever and get a better guy later on. But it's YEAR FRIGGIN' FIVE!

Pat Williams was a product of the system, so was Peerless Price. Both gone. Yes, it's the NFL, and free agency means guys come and go, but I don't see any replenishing. Ron Edwards? Stay tuned... he's ok, but I don't think he's a Pro Bowler. And in Year Five, if you leave a Pro Bowler go, you'd better have a guy close to that level coming in.

This situation is getting so bad, I'm not sure if there IS an easy answer. I do have a question for you though Dozer, and other TDL's: Do you think he's doing a great job? Do you think this team is heading in the right direction? Do you think the Bills are on the verge of making a serious run? After almost five years, are you satisfied with where your team is at? Or are you merely just trying to make conversation and asking what someone like I would do in this situation?

The Bills MUST get a veteran QB, and now it's gonna have to be a cheap one, because they are cap-strapped. Somehow they need more O-linemen. I guess draft a guard and sign a bargain-basement tackle. Get a kicker, someone better than Lindell, but cheap. Christie? He's not a great alternative, but there aren't many choices with the money out there to spend. Sign a DT to push and compete with Edwards and Anderson. Sign more linemen either through FA or the draft for depth that can compete. And if there's time left over, go for a TE and a 3rd WR. Sign the short-termers to back end contracts, sign as many as you can to bonuses that can be spread out with low first year salaries. The Bills have no choice at this point, TD has put them in this position, yes, HE has no one to blame but himself this time...

Jon

Voltron
03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Ike Hilliard is being released by the giants ... possible vet min pickup for 3rd receiver?

Mudflap1
03-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Not bad...

Jon

juice
03-03-2005, 09:30 PM
The Bills never really had 14 million. That amount did not count for bonuses that had been already earned.

The Bills don't have a 2nd QB because free agenct STARTED LESS THAN 48 HOURS AGO. What QB's have ben signed? Batch, Brad Johnson, Blake, Matthews, Fiedler, Stewart, etc are all still available. So who really cares if they have ben signed yet.

As for MW, he deserves the bonuses because they were in the contract he signed. I beleive most were due to playing time. And he was teh most improved player last year. Give him another season with McNally and I forsee big things.

Now if you excuse me, I have some serious panicking and over-reacting to get to.The FO made the DB move with the idea that the team was in great shape because TD was a Cap Genius... I wonder how much support the move would've gotten if the True Cap #'s were Public knowledge.

We have no Blind side Lineman for a young, scrambling, untested QB.. Oh and we're currently without a viable option at Backup QB.

Maybe TD will bring in some-more Practice squad guys just to take up space on the O-Line and simply role JPL to the left side every pass play.

We're about $5-6 Million under the cap and about half of that will go to Draft Picks.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2005, 09:51 PM
The DB move had little to do with the cap. And now there is no current back-up QB. But since there is no game in the immediate future I am not worried.

Let's wait and see what happens at LT.

They can also create more cap room. Wire or Prieleau can be cut. Players can be re-structured.

It is only day #2.

Throne Logic
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
We're about $5-6 Million under the cap and about half of that will go to Draft Picks.

We have no #1 pick this year. Couple that with a potential trade using one or more of the existing 2005 picks (packaged with Henry or something along those lines). Draft picks won't cost nearly as much this year.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Dozer... you seem like a good guy and often times give very even-keeled, reasonable responses and points, like you are here. But I just don't think the Bills are heading in the right direction. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope to God I am, but that's how I feel.

First off, I never said "fire everybody." I said that Donahoe should be evaluated. Frankly, I feel he hasn't gotten the job done already, so I would've fired him after the season. Four years and no playoffs warrants that I think. If you want to give him another year, fine, but if there's no playoffs after year five, which would in turn mean an improvement over the squad fielded in year four, he's GOT to go. This team was in the playoffs the subsequent years before he came, and was 8-8 the year before he got here. Yes, there were cap problems and he got stuck with them, which is why you couldn't say in year 1 "ok Tom, why weren't we in the playoffs" and is the SAME reason you can't say to me now "ok, what are you going to do with this mess right now?" There are bigger problems and missed moves that have brought us to $6 mill under the cap, losing some of our key players, having an unproven QB, a thin line, etc. like we have today.

This isn't a panic by me. I have all along disagreed with a lot of the moves Tom Donahoe has made. This has been a 4+ year process for me. I've been waiting for the rabbit to come out of the hat where I can say "ah, it's all been leading up to this" but it's always mediocre season after mediocre season. And he's a bit smug about it all to boot.

The offensive line is something that should've been built from Day One, not with $6 million to spend in Year Five. Again, I'm not the biggest Jennings fan, I don't really care he left, but if you are leaving a guy you drafted go, then you'd better have a pretty damn good contingency plan. Maybe he does, but I don't see a guy that we can get in the draft or sign right now that's probably better. And it's Year Five, so the guy SHOULD be better than Jennings. If it's was Year One, I'd say "build, get depth" whatever and get a better guy later on. But it's YEAR FRIGGIN' FIVE!

Pat Williams was a product of the system, so was Peerless Price. Both gone. Yes, it's the NFL, and free agency means guys come and go, but I don't see any replenishing. Ron Edwards? Stay tuned... he's ok, but I don't think he's a Pro Bowler. And in Year Five, if you leave a Pro Bowler go, you'd better have a guy close to that level coming in.

This situation is getting so bad, I'm not sure if there IS an easy answer. I do have a question for you though Dozer, and other TDL's: Do you think he's doing a great job? Do you think this team is heading in the right direction? Do you think the Bills are on the verge of making a serious run? After almost five years, are you satisfied with where your team is at? Or are you merely just trying to make conversation and asking what someone like I would do in this situation?

The Bills MUST get a veteran QB, and now it's gonna have to be a cheap one, because they are cap-strapped. Somehow they need more O-linemen. I guess draft a guard and sign a bargain-basement tackle. Get a kicker, someone better than Lindell, but cheap. Christie? He's not a great alternative, but there aren't many choices with the money out there to spend. Sign a DT to push and compete with Edwards and Anderson. Sign more linemen either through FA or the draft for depth that can compete. And if there's time left over, go for a TE and a 3rd WR. Sign the short-termers to back end contracts, sign as many as you can to bonuses that can be spread out with low first year salaries. The Bills have no choice at this point, TD has put them in this position, yes, HE has no one to blame but himself this time...

Jon
While I think I have a bit more optimism than you at this point about the team's future, this was very well said and I agree. TD has had 4 years and this will be his 5th. If they don't make the playoffs, he should be fired. The GM is ultimately responsible for the team, no ifs ands or buts. And if we go 5 years without a playoff game, that's not getting it done.

But I think we will make it. Just got a hunch. :D

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 10:11 PM

Jon
I apologize for the "Fire everyone" comment- lost my head a bit.....

This situation is getting so bad, I'm not sure if there IS an easy answer

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't think the situation is "Getting Bad" The Titans situation is "Bad". So was the 49ers. We were a couple of bad plays form the playoffs. We have a very good coaching staff- we have 3 fantastic playes making up a core of the offense for the future- and the #2 defense in the league.

After 5 years, considering what mess this team was in after the 2000 season, I'm satesfied at the progress. It's 2 years delayed due to an unfortunate choice of coaches....but that could not be forseen at the time. TD has made what I would consider the best moves for the team at the time they were made. He's got a few miistakes under his belt- but many more successes.

The Bills WILL get the veteran QB, they will get OL help, and while TE and a 3rd WR would be nice- it's not keeping us out of the playoffs.

Mudflap1
03-04-2005, 12:54 AM
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't think the situation is "Getting Bad" The Titans situation is "Bad". So was the 49ers. We were a couple of bad plays form the playoffs. We have a very good coaching staff- we have 3 fantastic playes making up a core of the offense for the future- and the #2 defense in the league.

Fair enough here, but I disagree that I'm satisified with the performance of our President and General Manager after 4+ years. I still support him, I'm still hoping for the best, and I'm still waiting for that rabbit to come out of the hat...

Playoffs or bust: 2005 -- let's see how close we get...

Jon

YardRat
03-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I think most are disappointed so early in this year's FA period for two reasons...

1)TD has moved quickly in the past to grab a FA that he's high on...not necessarily Pro Bowl caliber, but a serviceable starter that could be plugged into the top 22 immediately (Posey, Villariel). Nothing this year so far, not even a well-qualified rumor.

2)Games are won or lost in the trenches, and not having an immediate replacement/upgrade for Jennings or Williams already waiting in the wings to be signed is cause for concern to most.

I'm sure we'll be fine, TD will find some O-line help somehow somewhere and hopefully come training camp we'll all be expounding on how talented a GM TD is once again.

YardRat
03-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Ike Hilliard is being released by the giants ... possible vet min pickup for 3rd receiver?
Hilliard's more of an outside speed guy, isn't he?

Michael82
03-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Don't forget- we have to put aside $3 million or so for draft picks
No you don't. The draft pick money is not needed until at least April and that money can be found easily by extending Mike Williams contract and doing a couple other moves.

Right, Clump?

Michael82
03-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Mudflap1, Pat Williams is NOT a Pro Bowler. He's a good DT, but not worth $4-5 million per year. Sam Adams is only getting about $2.5 million per year. :shakeno:

helmetguy
03-04-2005, 05:22 AM
I'm still convinced that the GW regime stunted the team's grow by two seasons. I can't fault him for the 3-13 season. The fire sale had to happen. Better it was sooner than later. False hopes were raised (in Williams) when the team improved to 8-8 in his second year. I say false hopes in that, with better personnel, GW was making the same mistakes in choosing his assistants and in managing the team on gameday. Last season, the Bills went 9-7 with a rookie HC at the helm, with a roster not dramatically different from the 6-10 team that cost GW his job. The difference? Mularkey's approach. Much like the Lombardi/Noll model of "I can tolerate you ubtil someone outplays you," Mularkey was able to mine the roster and find guys like McGee and McGahee who stepped it up and outshown the players ahead of them on the depth chart. Better choices of assistants was a big factor as well. I'm expecting more improvements this season, simply because this is now REALLY Mularkey's team. There are no "Sacred Cows" at any position in Mularkey's eyes. As for Donahoe, I can't fault him for not going ape**** and spending wildly to "win now-pay later."

Lone Stranger
03-04-2005, 05:36 AM
I believe Juice's comment about the cap situation is accurate except for what we need for the draft. TD overspent in early years to get his guys. Now there's nothing left in the tank. In the same regard it's folly to chase the market prices now. And speaking of Price why hasn't he been signed. Seemed a very valuable backup to me. Let's hope TD is waiting for "value" picks.

Michael82
03-04-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm still convinced that the GW regime stunted the team's grow by two seasons. I can't fault him for the 3-13 season. The fire sale had to happen. Better it was sooner than later. False hopes were raised (in Williams) when the team improved to 8-8 in his second year. I say false hopes in that, with better personnel, GW was making the same mistakes in choosing his assistants and in managing the team on gameday. Last season, the Bills went 9-7 with a rookie HC at the helm, with a roster not dramatically different from the 6-10 team that cost GW his job. The difference? Mularkey's approach. Much like the Lombardi/Noll model of "I can tolerate you ubtil someone outplays you," Mularkey was able to mine the roster and find guys like McGee and McGahee who stepped it up and outshown the players ahead of them on the depth chart. Better choices of assistants was a big factor as well. I'm expecting more improvements this season, simply because this is now REALLY Mularkey's team. There are no "Sacred Cows" at any position in Mularkey's eyes. As for Donahoe, I can't fault him for not going ape**** and spending wildly to "win now-pay later."
Good post, Joe. I was wondering about that myself. Gregg Williams brought in some guys himself during his time and he also had 2 different offenses. Last year it was a brand new offense and special teams for the whole team. Now they'll all have one full year under their belt, except for JP. I think that they may suprise people. I know we only have $6 million to spend right now, but they can free up more money when it's needed and will probably get an LT in here someway and another guard, and DT. I also feel that a backup QB will be signed sometime this month also.

helmetguy
03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Being that there never seemed to be a huge panic within the organization, I'd be inclined to think that Mularkey and Co. have already found the replacements for Jennings and Williams. Who are they? I honestly don't know. Are they "as good?" Same answer. We didn't kknow about McGee until he took the field. We had an idea about McGahee (but questions about his knee). Like I said, with Mularkey, there are no untouchables. It's produce or we'll find someone who can. At least Mularkey has given guys opportunities to show their worth. You never got that from GW, and definitely never saw it from Gilbride.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
a) draft picks won't cost near 3 mil to sign this year since we have no #1...and no #5.
I would set aside somewhere in the region of 1.3 to 1.5 million to sign draft picks.
b) that leaves us with roughly 3.5 million to play with.
Here's what I woud do.
I'll spend 1 mil on a backup QB, 1 mil on a servicable OG, 1 mil on a serviceable DT, and half a mil on another TE. I make the trade for Shelton since it is cap neutral...I'll do what I have to do to make it work...I think a conditional 2006 pick would be fine...or how about Travis and Wire or Prioueau for Shelton and Arizona's 5th rounder?
Doesn't seem that difficult to me....but I think ya gotta start working a bit to figure out who you are gonna sign. Sitting around on your ass doesn't fill holes no matter how much $ you have to spend.

mysticsoto
03-04-2005, 08:43 AM
a) draft picks won't cost near 3 mil to sign this year since we have no #1...and no #5.
I would set aside somewhere in the region of 1.3 to 1.5 million to sign draft picks.
b) that leaves us with roughly 3.5 million to play with.
Here's what I woud do.
I'll spend 1 mil on a backup QB, 1 mil on a servicable OG, 1 mil on a serviceable DT, and half a mil on another TE. I make the trade for Shelton since it is cap neutral...I'll do what I have to do to make it work...I think a conditional 2006 pick would be fine...or how about Travis and Wire or Prioueau for Shelton and Arizona's 5th rounder?
Doesn't seem that difficult to me....but I think ya gotta start working a bit to figure out who you are gonna sign. Sitting around on your ass doesn't fill holes no matter how much $ you have to spend.
And your assuming that they are sitting around on their asses. You are talking about TD...a man who 10 minutes after FA started obtained Posey. A man who took a chance with our 1st rd pick 2 years ago and made a very controversial decision in taking McGahee which many, many Bills fans griped about (including myself) and yet that decision has turned out to be fantastic. You are also looking at a man who made a significant move and traded away picks in order to get a QB who he (and other coaches around the league) felt had tremendous potential - and he did this b'cse he had the foresight that this year's draft would be weak in QBs and with DB declining, we might need one. He also, somehow, apparently knew that other teams were coveting JP also! Oh, and he drafted a speedy receiver that has turned out to be fantastic so far - not to mention he has brought in several good FAs in the past and also brought in several good undrafted players that have played fantastic for us (Moorman, Greer, Baker, Peters, etc)

For those TD haters, I'd say he has done pretty well so far - this despite we being in salary cap hell when he 1st came. Why have we not gone to the playoffs yet? Well, it took time to get out of the salary cap hell, and now, due to salary cap reasons, we sometimes lose good players that we would like to keep. In some ways, I blame Drew too, but that's another long story - who knew he would decline in play so quickly...But you can't dwell on what could've been.

The CBS article that was posted as a link in another thread was excellent in pointing out that almost all the moves done so far in FA were overblown and most teams overpaid for their player. In fact, they list the 49ers grabbing of Jennings as the worst of the bunch!!! TD is doing the right thing in staying put and waiting for the prices to begin dropping to look at FAs. He also no doubt has a plan as to who to draft to fill in any holes we may have. There'll also be more cuts afterward that he might want to wait for...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I am not contending that we should overpay. I am saying we need to get started interviewing...not necessarily signing. I don't think we should sign anybody to an overblown contract, nor should we sign anybody without at least bringing people in to talk to them.

I am not ASSUMING that TD is sitting on his ass.....in this day of easy information, beat reporters, etc.....there is no way that TD is keeping meetings with potential Bills clandestine.
I think you are assuming much more (and much more blindly) to say that TD is in fact working feverishly to fill some holes. We would have heard SOMETHING.

Ok, so TD has made some good moves in the past....but he also has missed out on some opportunities also ...you have seen in years past lots of free agents get scooped up for modest $ by other clubs that would have helped us. So don't try to convince me that TD can do no wrong and that he is the best GM in the league. He's average.

So he didn't sign anyone to a big $ contract so far....you can bet your ass that he would have if he had $25 million to throw around.
I could speculate all day as to what the motives for inactivity might be too....what good does that do?

BuffaloRanger
03-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Great posts by Mudflap and DaBillz. Should a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years have the cap constraints that the Bills do? Managing the cap is part of the GMs job, right?

I'd feel alot better with 2 new OL (+ sign Price again) and a Kicker. So...

Draft a Center with our first pick in the 2nd.

Then Trade Henry for a late 2nd rdr (maybe wishful thinking) select Nugent, K, OSU then wait for June 1st and sign Kyle Turley.

OR...

Trade Henry for Shelton (make it work with Conditional picks) Now the hard part - find a Kicker.

Lone Stranger
03-04-2005, 09:32 AM
TD's record for his 4 years here is 23-25; please don't purport him to be some kind of genius......The facts speak for themselves.

BuffaloRanger
03-04-2005, 09:49 AM
23-25 was Drew's record. TDs is 26-38, which speaks even louder.

mysticsoto
03-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I am not contending that we should overpay. I am saying we need to get started interviewing...not necessarily signing. I don't think we should sign anybody to an overblown contract, nor should we sign anybody without at least bringing people in to talk to them.

I am not ASSUMING that TD is sitting on his ass.....in this day of easy information, beat reporters, etc.....there is no way that TD is keeping meetings with potential Bills clandestine.
I think you are assuming much more (and much more blindly) to say that TD is in fact working feverishly to fill some holes. We would have heard SOMETHING.

Ok, so TD has made some good moves in the past....but he also has missed out on some opportunities also ...you have seen in years past lots of free agents get scooped up for modest $ by other clubs that would have helped us. So don't try to convince me that TD can do no wrong and that he is the best GM in the league. He's average.

So he didn't sign anyone to a big $ contract so far....you can bet your ass that he would have if he had $25 million to throw around.
I could speculate all day as to what the motives for inactivity might be too....what good does that do?
Okay, so you just alluded to one reason why he hasn't gone crazy signing all these initial high priced FAs...he doesn't have $25 Million to throw around. Therefore he has to be more judicious of who he signs. Which is why PW is not playing here.

And in fact, you cover it right there in your last sentence...what good does speculating do??? Everybody wants something to happen...now, Now, NOW. FA started only a few days ago. Everybody that is grabbed at right now will command a high price. As time passes, those prices drop. There may be more cuts come June 1st. So what is everyone's problem here? As another poster said, all of a sudden, the sky is falling.

All I'm saying is people need to take it easier and relax. If come camp time, we still have holes - then that is when we need to worry about it. Let me remind everyone...it is March. The pro-bowl was only a few weeks back. There are what...months and months before training camp? If TD hasn't done any moves up to now, it's b'cse a) he doesn't want to pay high overblown prices and b) b'cse no one is worth it.

I understand though. There's no football now and people have to fill in their cravings somehow...and so they get antsy and inpatient. Hey, to fill in the void, I went and did a mock draft myself with all teams and through all 7 rds. Let me tell you...that took alot of my time and alot of research. But it was fun. But I did it before FA began - so now I have to go redo it. I recommend it to others who may be twiddling their thumbs and getting more and more nervous and the seeming inactivity of the Bills FO.

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Hey juice, the Bills have a back-up QB.