PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the TD ripping?

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
2001 Draft

Traded #13 for #21 & #58

1(21) CB Nate Clements - 1 of the best CBs in the league
2(46) DE Aaron Schobel - 1 of the best overall DEs in the league
2(58) RB Travis Henry - Former probowler & was an important part of our offense
3(76) DT Ron Edwards - Very good backup DT and will probably start for us next year finally layed up to us potential when he played last year
3(95) LT Jonas Jennings - Played well last year and just got a big contract from 49ers
From 4-7 rounds there wasn't much that was special. Sullivan is the only decent guy that stuck with us for a bit.

2002 Draft

1(4) RT Mike Williams - Looked like a bust until he finally came on strong last year
2(36) WR Josh Reed - Has been very inconsistant but I think he'll have a nice year
2(61) DE Ryan Denney - Decent backup DE, not that player we thought we were trading up for
3(97) SS Coy Wire - Very good on special teams and halfway decent as a SS
5(139) DT Justin Bannan - Hasn't done much
6(176) CB Kevin Thomas - Hasn't been spectacular but has been solid, very good pick in the 6th round
Our 7th round picks besides Pucillo really didn't do much. I only wish Pucillo would have been out of here earlier

2003 Draft

Traded 1st round pick (#14) for QB Drew Bledsoe
Traded Peerless Price for 1st round pick (#23)
1(23) RB Willis McGahee - Future probowler, took a risk and looks like it paid off big time
2(48) DE Chris Kelsay - Very good DE, really played well last year
3(94) LB Angelo Crowell - Thought this guy would be alot better but when you have the LBs we have in front of him you don't have much room to prove yourself
4(111) CB Terrence McGee - Although he gets beat at teams he still is a very good CB and a great kick returner
4(127) WR Sam Aiken - Played well last year
5-7 Besides Haggan nobody had done anything

2004 Draft

1(13) WR Lee Evans - The deep threat we were looking for, 1 of if not the best rookie WR in the strongest WR class in years
Traded 2nd and 5th this year and 1st next year for #22
1(22) QB JP Losman - The future of the Buffalo Bills. May turn out to be a steal if he lives to what he's being hyped to
3(74) DT Tim Anderson - We will see how fairs this year.
4(109) TE Tim Euhus - Nice pick at TE, I really think this guy is going to help Losman alot
7(207) T Dylan McFarland - Classic Bill pick because of his hardwork and his football intelligence.. Project for McNally
7(214) WR Freddie Smith - Played well as a PR

UDFA Baker, Shaud, Peters & Greer - early indications are they were good signings

Now I think thats pretty good drafting.

Free agents

DT Sam Adams - worked out
OLB Takeo Spikes - worked out
CB/FS Troy Vincent - too early but looked good at FS
ILB London Fletcher - worked out
C Trey Teague - despite being critisized has been pretty solid.. has given up 1 sack since he moved to center.. hasn't lived up to his money however
RG Chris Villarrial - worked out
SS Lawyer Milloy - worked out
K Ryan Lindell - looks like he is gone
P Brian Moorman - was our MVP 2 years ago
OLB Jeff Posey - Certainly not the sacks we were looking for but has been decent
FB Damion Shelton - worked out
OLB Josh Stamer - Has played well on ST
OL Ross Tucker - worked out

Trades

Kenyatta Walker for Nate Clements & Travis Henry - great
#14 pick (Michael Haynes) for Drew Bledsoe - good.. still would do it brought alot of credability to the team
#23 pick (Willis McGahee) for Peerless Price - great
#176 pick (Kirk Chambers) for Mark Campbell - good

He brought us from cap heIl in 01 to superbowl contenders last year and this. I think he has done a good job. You certaintly can do alot worse.

juice
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
But he hasn't made the Playoffs and we are a play away from Shane Mathews as starter.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
But he hasn't made the Playoffs and we are a play away from Shane Mathews as starter.
And the Patriots are a play away from Rohan Davey as starter.

I agree he hasn't made the playoffs but to be honest he has put the talent there. Its the coaches job now to make the playoffs. No excuses this year.

juice
03-03-2005, 10:15 PM
And the Patriots are a play away from Rohan Davey as starter.

I agree he hasn't made the playoffs but to be honest he has put the talent there. Its the coaches job now to make the playoffs. No excuses this year.No offensive Pro Bowler the past 2 years makes it look like the talent is being stockpiled on one side of the ball.

I would breathe alot easier if Davey were our backup and not Shane Mathews.

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree he hasn't made the playoffs but to be honest he has put the talent there. Its the coaches job now to make the playoffs. No excuses this year.I agree he has put some good talent together on the team, but ultimately it is the GM's responsibility for the team's success, right or wrong. TD also made some very big mistakes (Gregg Williams and Drew) which set this team back a few years. So TD really has no wiggle room left - he has used up his Mulligan. If we miss the playoffs again, he should be let go. Start at the top and work down. 5 years and no playoffs means it isn't getting done, and since TD hires the coaches and signs the players, he is ultimately the one to blame.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:19 PM
No offensive Pro Bowler the past 2 years makes it look like the talent is being stockpiled on one side of the ball.

I would breathe alot easier if Davey were our backup and not Shane Mathews.
Who cares about probowlers? The year the Pats won the SB they didn't have 1 probowler. Probowls are a popularity contest. Being a Bills fan you should know that with Ruben Brown being in the probowl plenty of years when he didn't deserve it.

I'd much rather have our defensive talent to be better then our offensive talent anyway.

Sportsuser101
03-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree he has put some good talent together on the team, but ultimately it is the GM's responsibility for the team's success, right or wrong. TD also made some very big mistakes (Gregg Williams and Drew) which set this team back a few years. So TD really has no wiggle room left - he has used up his Mulligan. If we miss the playoffs again, he should be let go. Start at the top and work down. 5 years and no playoffs means it isn't getting done, and since TD hires the coaches and signs the players, he is ultimately the one to blame.
True but what other QB would you have went after? Would you have drafted Joey Harrington? I liked the Bledsoe and would have still done it if we were in that same spot. Williams was a bad hire. He wasn't ready to be a head coach.

Also don't forget we are in the toughest division in the NFL. Its not an excuse its just the way it is and I'm glad we're in the division.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
His worst decision was his first- Gregg Williams set back what was a 3 year rebuilding into a 5 year rebuilding.

If we started out with this staff in place from the get go- I'm convinced we would have made the playoffs already.

Jersey1031
03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
easy to say what if now. ya know?

juice
03-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Who cares about probowlers? The year the Pats won the SB they didn't have 1 probowler. Probowls are a popularity contest. Being a Bills fan you should know that with Ruben Brown being in the probowl plenty of years when he didn't deserve it.

I'd much rather have our defensive talent to be better then our offensive talent anyway.Yeah but Brown always had a 1300 yard rusher behind him in those plenty of years your talking about.. It just happens that our Offensive Pro Bowl drought has coincided with the Playoff drought in the past 2 years.

Shiny Chicken
03-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I stand behind TD all the way. I think he's done a fabulous job. However, even I am a little dumbfounded by the apparant lack of any communication to JJ's or PW's agents... especially PW. I think we could have afforded the cotract he ended up getting... he probably would have signed here for less too. I'm a little baffled by that one. JJ was too expensive to keep...

Mr. Cynical
03-03-2005, 10:38 PM
True but what other QB would you have went after? Would you have drafted Joey Harrington? I liked the Bledsoe and would have still done it if we were in that same spot. Williams was a bad hire. He wasn't ready to be a head coach.

Also don't forget we are in the toughest division in the NFL. Its not an excuse its just the way it is and I'm glad we're in the division.
I was excited about the signing of Drew, but I didn't do the homework on him beforehand. I didn't know about his 58.2 QB rating in the postseason, his 4.3INTs to every 5TDs, 57% comp rate, etc. All I knew is what I got from the press which was "great arm, great leader". But that's not my job - TD should have known better. Belichick knew better, which is why he didn't care about trading him in the division.

I don't know that we are in the toughest division in football. Granted the Pats are great, but the Fins suck and the Jets aren't anything special.

In any case, the GM has to get it done, so if we miss again, I think there is enough there to fire him. But it wont happen...Ralph loves him.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 10:38 PM
I stand behind TD all the way. I think he's done a fabulous job. However, even I am a little dumbfounded by the apparant lack of any communication to JJ's or PW's agents... especially PW. I think we could have afforded the cotract he ended up getting... he probably would have signed here for less too. I'm a little baffled by that one. JJ was too expensive to keep...
................If you beleive the player's agents. :shakeno:

Shiny Chicken
03-03-2005, 10:58 PM
................If you beleive the player's agents. :shakeno:
I don't neccesarily... just judging by the character PW has shown in the past... if he says he feels like the Bills didn't deal with him fairly, it leaves me curious as to what the whole stiry is. Truth is, in the end, the contract he signed wasn't that enormous.

Jersey1031
03-03-2005, 10:59 PM
especially PW. I think we could have afforded the cotract he ended up getting... he probably would have signed here for less too. I'm a little baffled by that one.

he did say he would give a hometown discount too...

dannyek71
03-04-2005, 06:50 AM
The colts are one play away from having sorgi as their passer....

Werent we one play away from this all last year?

The King
03-04-2005, 06:56 AM
I was excited about the signing of Drew, but I didn't do the homework on him beforehand. I didn't know about his 58.2 QB rating in the postseason, his 4.3INTs to every 5TDs, 57% comp rate, etc. All I knew is what I got from the press which was "great arm, great leader". But that's not my job - TD should have known better. Belichick knew better, which is why he didn't care about trading him in the division.

I don't know that we are in the toughest division in football. Granted the Pats are great, but the Fins suck and the Jets aren't anything special.

In any case, the GM has to get it done, so if we miss again, I think there is enough there to fire him. But it wont happen...Ralph loves him.

Cyn it wasnt a Bellicheck new better issue. It was if it aint broke dont fix it kind of a thing. Bellicheck wanted to keep Drew.... Kraft wouldnt allow it. The Pats changed their scheme with Brady and it worked. But it was a different offense they ran with Brady.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-04-2005, 07:27 AM
No, I don't think the team would be in any better shape than it is no matter who was in the GM spot. I don't think I could have made better decisions in the heat of the moment. But someone has to get the blame for taking this team from a once proud franchise to one of the bottom dwellers....I mean we are on par with the Cardinals, Bengals and Lions for cripes sake. Who else do you blame? If this was corporate business, TD would have been fired two or three years ago. If for no other reason than to say...."We the Bills do not accept mediocrity as an organization".

BuffaloRanger
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
TD is a classless *****. Plain and simple. NFL players know it.

I didn't want the BIlls to break the bank on these guys. I don't think the Bills should have paid JJ that money. It would have been nice to have PW back. But to not even talk to them. How hard would it have been for him to say "Sorry we can't afford you" or "We are going in a different direction. Good Luck." It's just common friggin courtesy. Lacking that makes you a classless *****.

These were popular players that played well for Buffalo and were shown no respect. It's the equivilent of breaking up with a girlfriend by just not calling her anymore and hoping she gets the hint. Weak.

How do I know TD didn't talk to JJ and PW and Marcus Price's agents? How do you know he did? Seriously. Not one reporter for any newspaper Buff News, Roch D&C - not just ESPN, reported any discussions. It's there friggin job to report this! They would have loved to report it - if it happened.

BuffaloRanger
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
A GM can be a ***** and still be a good GM. I wouldn't rank TD in the Top 10 GMs of the NFL, regardless of what his buddies at his former employer (ESPN) say. Success is what counts. TD hasn't had much in years even going back to Pitt.

I personnally dislike TD for his criminal neglect of the O-line over the last 3 offseasons. Drafting Backup LBs, SS, DT, TE in the 3rd and 4th rds instead of bringing in some real OL talent. For hiring then not firing GW and KG at the bye week when the season might have been saved. (2-6 followed). For his "I'm smarter than every other GM, just watch this move" attitude. For going off on the fans publicly last offseason.

I don't think the Bills should be considered a Superbowl contender without making the playoffs, regardless of how many games they won at the end the season.

It's still early in the offseason. If we get 2 OL starters and a real Kicker in the draft or FA my hopes for the upcoming season will improve.

My opinion of TD won't change. I don't hate him. I dislike him. I think he needs some improvement in the class department. And the Bills need to start winning this season. Next year we lose alot of FAs.

mysticsoto
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
he did say he would give a hometown discount too...
Yes, he said that, but he never did it. The Bills made him an offer last year somewhere around 3.3 Mil a year. With the Vikings he got 4.3 Mil a year or so (not counting the bonus)...it wasn't that far off. Where was his supposed discount?

To me, that hometown discount what just bull**** that his agent probably told him to say to begin greasing the wheels to a nice, fat contract.

We have 2 capable young DTs waiting for their chance - There's no reason they should be denied b'cse we like PW. He's a great guy...but we made an offer and he didn't take it. This is a business and we have to move on...

BuffaloRanger
03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes, he said that, but he never did it. The Bills made him an offer last year somewhere around 3.3 Mil a year. With the Vikings he got 4.3 Mil a year or so (not counting the bonus)...it wasn't that far off. Where was his supposed discount?

To me, that hometown discount what just bull**** that his agent probably told him to say to begin greasing the wheels to a nice, fat contract.

We have 2 capable young DTs waiting for their chance - There's no reason they should be denied b'cse we like PW. He's a great guy...but we made an offer and he didn't take it. This is a business and we have to move on...

Why wouldn't TD make him an offer after the season? He had a great season, you don't think TD could have bumped up that 3.3 some?We'll never know if PW would have signed for 3.8 - because TD wouldn't even talk to him.

OK, I'm over it. :sigh:

Dear TD: Improve the damn O-line!! And get a real kicker.

mysticsoto
03-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Why wouldn't TD make him an offer after the season? He had a great season, you don't think TD could have bumped up that 3.3 some?We'll never know if PW would have signed for 3.8 - because TD wouldn't even talk to him.

OK, I'm over it. :sigh:

Dear TD: Improve the damn O-line!! And get a real kicker.
If I were to guess, I would say that TD is not a "negotiating" type person. He makes his offer and that's that. You either take it or leave it. I'm pretty sure if PW wanted to take it before signing with the Vikings, he could have told him I'll take it and the offer would have still stood. TD seems to be that type of person. This is my offer to you and this is what it's going to be...

Just guessing, but from his character and personality, that's what I get from him...

Mr. Cynical
03-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Cyn it wasnt a Bellicheck new better issue. It was if it aint broke dont fix it kind of a thing. Bellicheck wanted to keep Drew.... Kraft wouldnt allow it. The Pats changed their scheme with Brady and it worked. But it was a different offense they ran with Brady.
I agree in part about the ain't broke thing. Butl everything I heard and read (between the lines) said BB felt they were a better team with Brady, especially since he was younger and cheaper. Plus, I don't think Kraft would sign Drew to a $103M contract the year before only to deny keeping him the next year. I still believe it was primarily a BB decision.

jamze132
03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
You can't say Donahoe is a crappy GM because we haven't seen the playoffs yet. He has done a very good job, but the Drew signing was what killed us. No one on the field touches the football more than the QB and if the QB ain't getting it done, than your team will not win very many games in the NFL. This isn't designed to be a knock on Drew either. I'm just stating the obvious. Let's give JP a chance and see what happens. Than we can pass judgement on Tom Donahoe.

helmetguy
03-04-2005, 05:44 PM
What killed us deader, if that is possible, was GW and his cast of idiots. That bunch-most notably the offensive brain mistrust-would have flushed even John Unitas' career down the ****ter.