PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots Sinking Fast

DynaPaul
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
They've lost Brown and Patten leaving Bradu with only Branch to throw to. They've lost Crennel and Weiss. Phifer is out and Bruschi is unlikely to return. Law is gone. The worst part is that I don't see any new blood coming in. The team concept that Belichick touts is going to win any hearts or boost morale when you lose people that made the plays to win and you **** on your veterans. Folks, any Patriots fan thinking "Three-Peat" this year must be smoking more weed than Cheech and Chong. It'll be amusing to watch their large stable of USENET trolls wallowing in agony next year.

Patriots "Dynasty"* R.I.P.

Jersey1031
03-04-2005, 06:09 PM
They've lost Brown and Patten leaving Bradu with only Branch to throw to. They've lost Crennel and Weiss. Phifer is out and Bruschi is unlikely to return. Law is gone. The worst part is that I don't see any new blood coming in. The team concept that Belichick touts is going to win any hearts or boost morale when you lose people that made the plays to win and you **** on your veterans. Folks, any Patriots fan thinking "Three-Peat" this year must be smoking more weed than Cheech and Chong. It'll be amusing to watch their large stable of USENET trolls wallowing in agony next year.

yea, espn said they would try and sign back brown for less but idk. personally, i think the biggest losses are crennel and weiss

BillyT92679
03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I watched the Live From New York: It's Saturday Night special on NBC a couple of weeks ago... it's like May 1980 for the Pats. Bye bye, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, et. al... this team will be fair to middling next year. I expect a 10-6 record for them.

mybills
03-04-2005, 07:15 PM
:clap: :bravo:

generalmills
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I will never say that this pats team is not going to be great... These past 3 years I have time and time again tried and failed to see a fantastic team..but every game they came out a frustrated the heck out of me by pulling games out..The Pats are still the Champs and until I see otherwise I will still fear and respect that team....aslong as they have that master mind at the helm and Brady in the pocket...they are still the team to beat!

Crisis
03-04-2005, 07:22 PM
i still think they're the best team in the NFL.

They still have Branch and Givens at WR. They also seem to find gems in the unlikeliest of places at every position. Don't count them out.

mybills
03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
They're out! There, I counted for ya! :D

The Natrix
03-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Brown was over the hill as a WR and Patten sucks. Addition by subtraction if you ask me. Branch and Givens are their 1,2, as they were last year. Also, they are the Patriots, so they will find some depth on the cheap.

Jersey1031
03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Brown was over the hill as a WR and Patten sucks. Addition by subtraction if you ask me. Branch and Givens are their 1,2, as they were last year. Also, they are the Patriots, so they will find some depth on the cheap.

plus most guys will sign cheaper for them because they want to play with the world champs...

Ickybaluky
03-04-2005, 07:50 PM
A little wishful thinking here. The Pats are just getting younger, which has been a goal of theirs since 2002.

They've lost Brown and Patten leaving Bradu with only Branch to throw to.

They lost Brown, but have a chance to re-sign him. They lost Patten, but he was their 4th WR at the start of the season. Both guys are older.

Of course they still have Deion Branch and David Givens, who are the starting WR on the team. They still have Bethel Johnson, who should see more playing time. All those guys are young. They get Ben Watson, their #1 pick TE, back from injury. They likely will sign another receiver.

They've lost Crennel and Weiss.

This is being totally overstated. The Pats have an excellent coaching staff.

Their new DC is Eric Mangini, who is one of the most highly-thought of young coaches in the NFL. The guy had 3 teams bidding over him before the Pats got him. He has been brought along by Bill Belichick, who I've heard knows a few things about defensive football.

As for offense, Weis is very creative and a solid coach. However, they have a lot of young talent on offense. They have a solid running game with Corey Dillon. Most importantly, they have Tom Brady. I think they will score some points.

Phifer is out and Bruschi is unlikely to return.

They lost Phifer, but he is 38 years old and was their 3rd option at ILB. Bruschi is up in the air, but he could return.

Even in the worst case, Bruschi not returning, they will be strong at LB. They just might play more 4-3. That is possible because they have one of the strongest DL in the NFL.

Law is gone.

I love the guy and wish him well. However, he wasn't on the team last year after their 6th game. They return everyone else in the secondary, and have added a top cover player in Duane Starks. They get Guss Scott, their 3rd-round pick last year, back from injury. They will be stronger in the secondary.

I don't know if the Pats will win the Super Bowl next year, as there are too many factors (luck, injuries, etc.). However, I do know they will be one of the better teams in the NFL. They still will have a great front office, led by Belichick and Pioli, who have a great record finding players. They still will have a top-notch coaching staff. They will be younger, but probably have more raw talent. They have more cap flexibility than any time since Belichick arrived, which allowed them to trade for Starks and almost allowed them to sign Derrick Mason.

The Pats will be a strong team again next season, I'd bet all the zonebucks I have on that.

Dicknoze69
03-04-2005, 07:54 PM
The Pats will be a strong team again next season, I'd bet all the zonebucks I have on that.

I hate to agree with the guy, since he's a Pats fan, but he's absolutely right here (provided Brady doesn't snap his leg in two) :snicker2:

I do think the loss of Weis will hurt the most, as it will make Belichick concentrate more on offense and less on defense. Someone needs to hire Pioli away to really hurt them though.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I hate to agree with the guy, since he's a Pats fan, but he's absolutely right here (provided Brady doesn't snap his leg in two) :snicker2:

I do think the loss of Weis will hurt the most, as it will make Belichick concentrate more on offense and less on defense. Someone needs to hire Pioli away to really hurt them though.

Losing Pioli would definitely cast doubt, because he has worked so well with Belichick.

Brady is the other key.

I agree with you on those points.

Dozerdog
03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
New England isn't going anywhere. They are just quietly reloading

The Spaz
03-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah god forbid that the patriots could ever be average or worse.

lordofgun
03-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Wishful thinking at best.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Guys what are Patriots? there soldiers and who do we have over in Iraq? our soldiers. The NFL wants the Patidiots to win that's why the refs don't throw any :penalty: as long as our soldiers are over in Iraq the Patriots will be champions.

The Natrix
03-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Guys what are Patriots? there soldiers and who do we have over in Iraq? our soldiers. The NFL wants the Patidiots to win that's why the refs don't throw any :penalty: as long as our soldiers are over in Iraq the Patriots will be champions.

It's just coincidence, dude.

SoCalBillsFan
03-04-2005, 09:09 PM
The pats will be just fine...

Mr. Cynical
03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
:monkeyp: Patriots

Sorry, but when you win that much you automatically become a target for hatred, especially from a division rival. It may not be next year or the year after, but someday they will suck again.

And then the rejoicing may begin. :party:

Sportsuser101
03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
There biggest losses were obviously the coaches. I think they take a step back this year because of there coaching.

Dirtywater
03-05-2005, 12:58 AM
There is no way in this era to keep it together forever, and the catch-22 of success is losing your talent. If so, hey, it was one hell of a ride and they can't take back these trophies.

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 02:32 AM
:monkeyp: Pats' three trophies

mybills
03-05-2005, 07:18 AM
:monkeyp: Pats' three trophies
:rofl: :posrep:

mybills
03-05-2005, 07:19 AM
The pats will be just fine...
:rofl:

DynaPaul
03-06-2005, 10:13 AM
A little wishful thinking here. The Pats are just getting younger, which has been a goal of theirs since 2002.

They're getting younger and less experienced. They may have a winning record next year but their contending days are over. Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted...

Billz_fan
03-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I have a strong dislike for the Pats and I hope they crash and burn. However I won't believe it till I see it.

Ickybaluky
03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
They're getting younger and less experienced. They may have a winning record next year but their contending days are over. Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted...

So take the bet. I'll bet you 1300 zonebucks the Pats:

1) Are in the top 10 in both points allowed and points scored next season

2) Win at least 12 games

finsrclowns
03-06-2005, 12:19 PM

This post is at best wishful thinking and at worst just plain stupid. Givens is the #2 receiver there. Brown is getting older and they save $5m in cap space by cutting him. They can replace Patten with a draft pick. Phifer is 37, didn't even play a down in one of the playoff games and was being phased out of their D. Bruschi would be a loss but it's unclear if he's done. They were 11-1 last year without Law. Pioli knows what he's doing with the draft and their core is still intact in any case. The hardest thing to obtain in the NFL is quality D-linemen and the Patriots are loaded with talent there and they're all young.

DynaPaul
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
So take the bet. I'll bet you 1300 zonebucks the Pats:

1) Are in the top 10 in both points allowed and points scored next season

2) Win at least 12 games

I'll take you up on number 2, them winning at least 12 games. I don't think I got 1300 ZBs but I'll bet what I have.

Mad Bomber
03-06-2005, 01:01 PM

That's been happening since long before we had soldiers overseas.

Ickybaluky
03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I'll take you up on number 2, them winning at least 12 games. I don't think I got 1300 ZBs but I'll bet what I have.

How about we do something far easier.

If the Pats fail to win 12 games next year, I'll change my signiture to read "The Patriots decline has started and it is all downhill from here" until the start of the 2006 season.

If the Pats win 12 or more games, you change your signiture to read "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana" until the start of the 2006 season.

I'm willing to accept you suggestion should you no like my option, but you using the Brady thing is non-negotiable. It only takes 25 ZB to change your signiture.

You should take this. 12 games is a lot, I bet Vegas doesn't have them winning that many.

Mr. Cynical
03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
F the Pats.

I'll take that bet NE39. If the Pats win 12 games, I will change my sig to "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana". But if they win 11 or less, then you change yours to "The Pats deserve to lose their next 5 seasons." Deal? :D

Ickybaluky
03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
F the Pats.

I'll take that bet NE39. If the Pats win 12 games, I will change my sig to "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana". But if they win 11 or less, then you change yours to "The Pats deserve to lose their next 5 seasons." Deal? :D

I can't make that bet with more than one person, but if DevilPaul says no, then you're on.

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 08:22 AM

You just might get your wish...

"...there are reports that personnel genius Scott Pioli wants the Giants' general manager job once Ernie Accorsi retires."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050306/COL04/503060374/1082/SPT

DynaPaul
03-07-2005, 04:05 PM
How about we do something far easier.

If the Pats fail to win 12 games next year, I'll change my signiture to read "The Patriots decline has started and it is all downhill from here" until the start of the 2006 season.

If the Pats win 12 or more games, you change your signiture to read "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana" until the start of the 2006 season.

I'm willing to accept you suggestion should you no like my option, but you using the Brady thing is non-negotiable. It only takes 25 ZB to change your signiture.

You should take this. 12 games is a lot, I bet Vegas doesn't have them winning that many.

You're on! Except for one thing. I will change my signature to "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana" if they win 12 or more games. If they fail to do that, however, your signature will read "The Patriots are the biggest fluke team ever in the history of the NFL and should have asterisks next to their championships".
:bikerbabe

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
You're on! Except for one thing. I will change my signature to "Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana" if they win 12 or more games. If they fail to do that, however, your signature will read "The Patriots are the biggest fluke team ever in the history of the NFL and should have asterisks next to their championships".
:bikerbabe

OK, deal.

Marvelous
03-07-2005, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=The Natrixand Patten sucks.[/QUOTE]
Are you crazy? Dude Patten is very underrated. Perhaps Brady made him look good but Patten was 2nd in the NFL for 1st downs last year and almost all of his catches are important ones. I really wanted to sign him.. Patten was 1 of Brady's favorites and Brady will miss him more then Brown...

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 07:52 PM
OK, deal.
You got robbed if you lose. His statement is brutal! :snicker:

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
You got robbed if you lose. His statement is brutal! :snicker:

OK, but I don't really care. Just having a signature on a message board doesn't mean anything, and really won't effect me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure 12 games in reachable.

nodnarb
03-08-2005, 12:14 AM
What, we're deleting posts now?

I merely pointed out the absurdity of this thread. You can't say a team is "sinking" before it has lost any games. You'll see. I'll bring up this thread when they're leading the afc again by mid-season.

DaBills
03-08-2005, 12:40 AM
I HATE the Pats. But I also recognize they're on a good run right now. Until they start losing to teams they normally beat and until they DON'T win another SB, they are still the team everyone chases.

DynaPaul
03-08-2005, 06:09 PM
What, we're deleting posts now?

I merely pointed out the absurdity of this thread. You can't say a team is "sinking" before it has lost any games. You'll see. I'll bring up this thread when they're leading the afc again by mid-season.

I'll be looking for you but by then I think the Pats fans will have disappeared from this board.

nodnarb
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
belichick has 5 rings and could very well be the best coach of all time. he told his coordinators what to do every step of the way and every coach in the nfl knows this. weis and crennel are good coaches but belichick is the brains behind their success. you can't judge a team by the loss of a few non-critical elements. you judge a team by its wins. So hold off on your lofty conclusions (which read like sour grapes) until you have a win loss record to back up your conclusions.

ZacGriffi~82
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Andruzzi is a bigger loss then the Recievers.

The pats are still the team to beat though.

DynaPaul
03-08-2005, 09:41 PM
belichick has 5 rings and could very well be the best coach of all time. he told his coordinators what to do every step of the way and every coach in the nfl knows this. weis and crennel are good coaches but belichick is the brains behind their success. you can't judge a team by the loss of a few non-critical elements. you judge a team by its wins. So hold off on your lofty conclusions (which read like sour grapes) until you have a win loss record to back up your conclusions.

Sour grapes? No.

Annoyed by arrogant Patriots fans breeding on the Internet like fleas? Yes.

mysticsoto
03-09-2005, 08:24 AM
I disagree that losing good coordinators are like..."non-critical elements". Of course they're critical. I don't think the Patriots will be hurting as much b'cse Belicheck is going to ensure that the philosophy that they (he and his coordinators) have been using remains intact. He clearly doesn't want change b'cse what he's got implemented is working. That's why they are not going to hire a new OC. But don't make it seem like Weis and Crennel were useless cogs in the Patriot Machine that did nothing...

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I disagree that losing good coordinators are like..."non-critical elements". Of course they're critical. I don't think the Patriots will be hurting as much b'cse Belicheck is going to ensure that the philosophy that they (he and his coordinators) have been using remains intact. He clearly doesn't want change b'cse what he's got implemented is working. That's why they are not going to hire a new OC. But don't make it seem like Weis and Crennel were useless cogs in the Patriot Machine that did nothing...Good post.

mybills
03-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Belichick can't make them win by himself. That's silly.