PDA

View Full Version : Why did Kelly Holcolmb sign here?

DraftBoy
03-04-2005, 06:54 PM
My question is this, we all know Holcolmb wants to start still so why did he sign here? Did TD say to him that there may be an open competition in camp for Losman to try and win the job, or did he tell Kelly that its Losman's job and if he wants it he's gonna have to beat the kid badly in TC and preseason. Just a thought, although I love the signing.

SoCalBillsFan
03-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Either way I'm happy to have him. I think he probably thinks losman will struggle and he can play himself back into the starter spot.

buffalofan19
03-04-2005, 06:57 PM
My question is this, we all know Holcolmb wants to start still so why did he sign here? Did TD say to him that there may be an open competition in camp for Losman to try and win the job, or did he tell Kelly that its Losman's job and if he wants it he's gonna have to beat the kid badly in TC and preseason. Just a thought, although I love the signing.
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised he came here this fast and didn't look for a place that he could possibly start. But I'll take him hands down. I was sure that he wouldn't want to come to Buffalo to back up an inexperienced QB, but I guess I was wrong. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if he were the starter come week one. I like him alot.

Jersey1031
03-04-2005, 06:58 PM

ohh they should definitley compete for the starting job...im not one for handing poeple free gifts, it is a position that must be earned. better man will produce better for the team, better for us...

Dicknoze69
03-04-2005, 07:07 PM

Last I heard, Cleveland and Holcomb were about $2 million apart from a contract agreement. I'm shocked too, because Cleveland was the perfect place for him to start.

I'm betting he got sick of Cleveland dicking him around, and went to the next suitor (us).

EDS
03-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Wow, I didn't see this coming. Basically our QB position is now no worse then last year and probably better off.

As far as I am concerned the only free agent signings the Bills have left is another offensive lineman, maybe a kicker too but I think a kicker can be had on the cheap closer to camp. After that, all the other holes can be filled by draft picks.

Shasta McNasty
03-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I was wondering the same thing, good work TD!

Bert102176
did he sign, I couldn't find anything on espn, nor on NFL.com

Meathead
Major TD coup.

mysticsoto
03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Wow, I didn't see this coming. Basically our QB position is now no worse then last year and probably better off.

As far as I am concerned the only free agent signings the Bills have left is another offensive lineman, maybe a kicker too but I think a kicker can be had on the cheap closer to camp. After that, all the other holes can be filled by draft picks.
What do you mean no worse? We have had a definite upgrade! JP is faster and much more mobile that lead footed Drew, and even his backup is a step up from Shane - our previous backup.

My only concern is to get the entire line early in training camp without distractions and weight problems so that their "gel-ling" can happen quickly under McNally's tutelage.

I say we are looking pretty good now. For all those panicking about TD not doing anything - they all seem to be quiet now...

Bert102176
03-04-2005, 07:18 PM
ok NFL.com has it on there now

The Natrix
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM

Maybe he realized Cleveland sucks and even if he got to start, they would still suck. Losman's questionable durability might have been another factor.

G. Host
03-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Either way I'm happy to have him. I think he probably thinks losman will struggle and he can play himself back into the starter spot.

Or that Losman will get hurt (maybe he is friends with a certain Bills DB) and he will get his chance. There might be incentive clauses in it like Flutie's contract.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I think he knows he is coming in as a backup. I'm pretty sure the Bills would make that clear.

That said, I think the guy thought Cleveland wasn't really going to commit to him. I think they just wanted to use him as a stopgap, and then cast him aside when they found someone else to commit to.

He may be a backup in Buffalo, but he is likely to have some security in that role and stay here for a few years. He has a good chance to see out the contract. I'm sure he has incentives that will pay him more if called upon to play a lot and performs well.

Crisis
03-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I think he knows he is coming in as a backup. I'm pretty sure the Bills would make that clear.

That said, I think the guy thought Cleveland wasn't really going to commit to him. I think they just wanted to use him as a stopgap, and then cast him aside when they found someone else to commit to.

He may be a backup in Buffalo, but he is likely to have some security in that role and stay here for a few years. He has a good chance to see out the contract. I'm sure he has incentives that will pay him more if called upon to play a lot and performs well.

Exactly right. Article I read said he has incentives for playing time and starting and his agent said Holcomb knows he's accepting a back-up role.

kgun12
03-04-2005, 10:37 PM
What do you mean no worse? We have had a definite upgrade! JP is faster and much more mobile that lead footed Drew, and even his backup is a step up from Shane - our previous backup.

My only concern is to get the entire line early in training camp without distractions and weight problems so that their "gel-ling" can happen quickly under McNally's tutelage.

I say we are looking pretty good now. For all those panicking about TD not doing anything - they all seem to be quiet now...

I agree! I think Dallas were the dumby's they could have had Holcomb for much less than Drew and gotten a better QB to boot! Nice job TD. :bow:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm glad that you guys asked this question :question: and I'm going to tell you the answer Ch 2 Sports director Ed. Kilgore talked with Holcomb tonight by :phone: and he said that he felt like he had an opportunity to go there, I'm familiar with those guys, I'm familiar with Mike Mularkey and Sam Wyche, I was with those guys when I first came to the NFL. They express alot of interest in me.

Meathead
03-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Sounds like he wasn't comforable with the environment in Cleveland either. That happens. Great move by TD to be right on top of it and be a shoulder to cry on. lol. Funny but sort of true.

Romes
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure he wants to be the starter. It seems like what he wants is a good contract (probably the last one of his career), a place where he knows his role and is appreciated.

I say this because the problem with Cleveland, he said, was they weren't clear to him, if he was going to start or go a different direction, they just were not clear in what they wanted from him. He was probably just looking for stability.

Kerr
03-05-2005, 12:36 AM
It's not a bad situation when you're the experienced qb backing up a 2nd year qb. At least he has a chance of starting if J.P falters. This is not to say I hope Los falters. I hope he turns out to be our franchise qb. Holcomb is good insurance and knows he has a good chance of starting if things go bad for the younger qb.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Maybe he realized Cleveland sucks and even if he got to start, they would still suck. Losman's questionable durability might have been another factor.

what is questionable about losmans durability? one total injury in highschool, college, and nfl career? a broken leg that he healed quickly from and played on in the same season?

does every player ever injured have durability issues? holcombe has been injuried three times the amount that losman has, and been put on ir.. which losman hasnt.. i guess that makes holcombe a wasted signing, because there is no way that he could make it through a game with his durability issues right?

sorry nat.. nothing personal.. i just get really tired of people talking about losmans "injury history" or "durablity issues" or being "fragile".. the guy took an incredible beating behind one of the worst olines in college and came back every game and never *****ed.. never missed time.. played through all bumps and dings...

if losman has durability issues.. then so did jim kelly.. so did dan marino.. and i guess the only qbs that dont are farve and manning.. although farve plays with injuries.. to the determent of his own team.. so i dont know how honorable that is.

The Natrix
03-05-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm a big Losman fan and I will support him as long as he shows flashes this season, but from all reports that was not a very big hit by Vincent. Do we have video of the hit?

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 02:42 AM
I'm a big Losman fan and I will support him as long as he shows flashes this season, but from all reports that was not a very big hit by Vincent. Do we have video of the hit?

i dont care if he tripped over a cricket.. he fell wrong and broke his leg.. he healed fast and was back on the field.. and he has never been injured before..

you didnt address any of the points in my previous post..

Meathead
03-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Overall I think it's a major win/win for both sides.

Think about it. There's a tremendous glut of veteran QB's on the market right now. Most of them are NOT going to get starting gigs.

If you picked any situation to be a backup in the league right now, where could it be better than in Buffalo?

You got a team that overall is definitely stocked to be a legitimate playoff and even SB contender. The only real question mark is at QB. Holcomb has a chance to be on a strong team that should make the playoffs. The chances are very good that Losman will miss at least a handful of games, and if he is struggling to the point of threatening the playoffs there's a good chance the Bills will give Holcomb the chance to rally the team. If not and they are successful, well you get to collect a paycheck on a strong winning team.

Pretty damn good gig if you're resigned to being a backup.

Meathead
03-05-2005, 06:16 AM
And it's a great move for the Bills because they get a guy they already know can step in and do a more than adequate job to give the team a good chance to win every week. You're also keeping the pressure and focus on a young guy with hot chicks throwing themselves at him every day. Holcomb's a very cheap and high quality insurance policy and a fire under JP's ass.