X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Tip Sheet: Bills not gonna give Henry Away

Those teams waiting for the Buffalo Bills to drop their asking price in trade talks for backup tailback Travis Henry might not want to hold their breath. The Bills afforded Henry and his agent permission to speak to other teams about a trade several weeks ago, and that elicited pretty good interest, since the veteran runner remains a quality back. But the Bills aren't inclined to just give Henry away. It will take a first-day draft choice to pry him away from the Bills, and no one has offered that yet. A proposed trade that would have sent Henry to Arizona in exchange for offensive tackle L.J. Shelton appears dead. The Cardinals wanted Henry to play under the terms of his Buffalo contract, but he wanted an extension. It now looks as though the Cardinals, who feel the running back class in the 2005 draft is a very deep one, will pluck a back from the lottery. And it appears the most likely destination for Shelton is Chicago, where he could play left tackle and permit the Bears to keep John Tait on the right side, which he prefers. The Bills have made preliminary contact with some veteran free-agent backs, just as a contingency. If they do find a buyer for Henry, the Bills want an experienced backup who could log maybe six to eight carries per game, and who could serve as mentor to Willis McGahee
    Once known as the "No-Trade League," the NFL has seen an increase in trades the past two years.

Attaboy, TD get us the good deal. Eventhough the Shelton thing is done its good that TD is holding strong and asking for a first day pick. Kind of suprised no one has even offered a 3rd round pick for Henry. Also, its comforting to know there are some RBs out there that the Bills have contacted if they do trade Henry.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

You don't play poker with TD.

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

Nobody has offered a 1st day pick for Henry?

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
        • May 2003

Originally posted by BillsFever21
        Nobody has offered a 1st day pick for Henry?
        That's the problem bro. Nobody is going to shell out a 1st day pick for a back who cannot block and is a mediocre receiver. Haven't you guys figured that out yet? There were fans here that said we should have traded him last year at mid-season and they could not have been more right.

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bills_fan_atic
          That's the problem bro. Nobody is going to shell out a 1st day pick for a back who cannot block and is a mediocre receiver. Haven't you guys figured that out yet? There were fans here that said we should have traded him last year at mid-season and they could not have been more right.
          I never said he was great. I'm one of the people who wanted to trade him last season.

I'm just surprised nobody has offered a 3rd round pick for him.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
            • May 2003

Maybe the lack of interest will make him suck up his pride and stay. We sure as hell could use him and I think Donahoe is right to not just give him away. We're better off keeping him otherwise.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bills_fan_atic
              And what would you have recieved for him then? Did anybody knock on the door?

Miami had interest- but they gave away a lot of picks for other garbage-

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                And what would you have recieved for him then? Did anybody knock on the door?

Miami had interest- but they gave away a lot of picks for him.
                No you're right. I guess I just kinda felt that we may have had a little more interest before the injuries and all and then now seeing how the draft is supposedly deep with backs. Besides, at that time last year, OBD made it clear that they were not intersted in trading him. Maybe that is why nothing happened. We'll never know.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

henry is gonna be on the roster next year.. i just hope he doesnt piss and moan..

at least we know he wont hold out though, since he is probably close to bankruptcy... hell.. his poor money management is the only reason he is not a free agent right now.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                  X