PDA

View Full Version : Clements last year as a Bill?

Crisis
03-04-2005, 09:43 PM
As sad as it is to say, Clements is in for a HUGE pay-day next year. I'm not sure if we'd have enough money to tag or sign him (tag will be 10 mill+). Look at the contract Baxter, an average corned signed.

6 year $30 million contract with a $10.5 signing bonus.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
they should offer that contract to clements right now.. i bet he would take it..

clumping platelets
03-05-2005, 01:30 AM
TD has been willing to pay top money to top players. Moulds and Spikes come to mind. Both were young and recognized as among the best at their respecitve positions and signing market value contracts were good deals for both the player and the team. Clements could be the next to receive a "market value" contract. Jennings was/is a slightly above average LT who got ridiculous money.

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Hopefully he signs him. Losing him would suck. We need to keep our best homegrown (i.e., drafted) guys as long as we can to try and foster some modicum of loyalty and consistency.

ICE74129
03-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Yep he is gone

Ickybaluky
03-05-2005, 08:51 AM
As sad as it is to say, Clements is in for a HUGE pay-day next year. I'm not sure if we'd have enough money to tag or sign him (tag will be 10 mill+). Look at the contract Baxter, an average corned signed.

6 year $30 million contract with a $10.5 signing bonus.

The second-level CB are getting that at a minimum. Anthony Henry received a $10M SB. Lucas received $13M in SB. Smoot already has a standing offer of a $10M SB from the Redskins and is looking for more.

I doubt Clements is going to jump on an offer towards the bottom half of that range.

Italian Stallion
03-05-2005, 09:58 AM
He's gone guys....young, one pro bowl and more to come....not only gets INT's but has 3 or 4 TD's off them too....Someone will give him money in the 6 year 40 million range with 15 mil SB mark my words....

Is he really worth that much money on a unit of strength for our team?

Michael82
03-05-2005, 10:37 AM
He's gone guys....young, one pro bowl and more to come....not only gets INT's but has 3 or 4 TD's off them too....Someone will give him money in the 6 year 40 million range with 15 mil SB mark my words....

Is he really worth that much money on a unit of strength for our team?
Yeah he is. If he isn't re-signed this year, they will put the tag on him and he will either be traded or re-signed.

Forward_Lateral
03-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Either him or Fletcher will likely be gone. I don't know if they'll have enough money to re-sign both of them after this season.

YardRat
03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
He's gone....especially if Law signs after his visit today.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 10:54 AM
dont forget that Terance Mcgee will be gone soon too.. he is young.. w/ a probowl under his belt for special teams.. and he is a decent corner who has enough picks on the stat sheet to garner plenty of interest.. someone will offer him way more than he deserves too.

Canadian'eh!
03-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I can understand the reasoning behind not paying Pat due to age.

I can understand the reasoning of not paying Jennings who got WAY more than he deserves....

BUT... if our Cap is in such great shape... there is NO WAY we should be losing YOUNG and very talented players.

We did last year with Winfield and i accepted that. we did the year before with PP.

But losing clements and McGee would be unacceptable. We can't losing young talent that are on the edge of becoming all-pro players just because we want to "hover" near the cap number.

NO WAY they should be giving Law big money until Clements is locked up.

And i don't wantot hear about "overpaying"... the market value will be whatever it is for him, and it's TD's job to make sure his name gets on the Bills contract.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 11:05 AM
BUT... if our Cap is in such great shape... there is NO WAY we should be losing YOUNG and very talented players.

But losing clements and McGee would be unacceptable. We can't losing young talent that are on the edge of becoming all-pro players just because we want to "hover" near the cap number.

hell yea, give clements and mcgee extensions now

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
sorry... but there is a thing such as overpaying.. you cant put up 40 or 50 million dollars for cbs.. it is just not smart.. look what champ bailey gave denver in return for all that money.. average cb play that didnt really help them win in the end, but tied up enough space that they couldnt address the other positions that ended up hurting them in the end.

if we pay nate one of the highest cb contracts in history..which will be close to what he gets by next year from someone.. that will come back to haunt us.. those type of contracts always do.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 11:19 AM
canadien.. if the market sets the value.. how was jennings overpaid ...

i mean.. arent you contradicting yourself?

jennings wasnt worth the money.. he was overpaid..

but you cant overpay clements, because the market sets his value.

Italian Stallion
03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Also.....think about this guys...

C Woodson in Oakland has a Franchise # of $10 mill against the cap, do you think Donahoe will give this to Clements next offseason if he wants to trade him? No friggin way, unless he wants to constrict our movement in FA next year (with our other UFA's, let alone the ones on the open market)

Thats why I say something is in the works for Clements now, with his value high, and our need for o lineman high.....what is the cap relief if he is traded this offseason??? Anyone?

Canadian'eh!
03-05-2005, 11:36 AM
canadien.. if the market sets the value.. how was jennings overpaid ...

i mean.. arent you contradicting yourself?

jennings wasnt worth the money.. he was overpaid..

but you cant overpay clements, because the market sets his value.

you're right... i DID contradict myself.

What i should have said was that Jennings was paid as a top T, and most of us would agree his is not. He's a good T that got great T money. he's not someone irreplacable, and it would have been foolish to try to match that contract.

With Clements...he IS as good as they hype. He's on the cusp of being a top 5 CB. He is prolly going to get paid as one. Now, If someone offers him the highest CB contract ever... we may have to deal with that. BUT, why does it have to come to that? We could franchise him and pay him a rediculous amount, but not he most ever.. or we could sign him early and save a bit.

I figure if he hits the open market he will get a contract that is in the top 5... that seems to be how the system works. we should put our priority to be that this never happens.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 11:43 AM
clements made the probowl not as the alternate.. but because TWO guys in front of him got hurt.. i dont know that clements is the best cb since sliced bread... he is good.. hell.. he is sometimes great.. but he is not dieon..

and according to EB.. he cost the bills the playoffs.. :snicker:

point is.. according to you, which i agree with.. the market sets the standard for who is top notch and who is not..

according to the contract.. jennings is a top notch LT.. in reality.. he was one of the only LTs available on the market..

the market will decide the same on clements and mcgee next year.. but odds are that TD will not spend 40-50 millon dollars on the guy.. it is just too much to tie up in one spot for a guy that is not the best cb in the league.