PDA

View Full Version : So why does everyone want Law so badly?

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2005, 08:00 AM
So the guy is coming to visit. And yes he is one of the premier corners in the league. But we already have the #2 defense, it's not our defense, at least not corners, that lost our playoff spot. If anything, it's our run D.

Considering the amount of money Ty Law will be demanding, why do we even need him or want him? Don't we have better needs and bigger holes to fill than CB?

Discuss.

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Because TD has a thing for ex-Pats? :idunno:

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:06 AM
I can't see us signing him. I'm suprised we are even looking at a CB.

The Natrix
03-05-2005, 08:08 AM
If he is signed and the O-line struggles, TD will take a lot of heat. It would be a similar move to drafting Willis in that TD feels the team is complete and can add a luxury player.

Nothing TD does anymore really shocks me, but I would be pretty surprised if Law is signed.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-05-2005, 08:22 AM
I'd rather spend the money on a O-Lineman than on Law.

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Law coming in defies all logic- but then again- look at TD's history.

In 2002 we were loaded at WR with Price and Moulds, yet he drafted one of the top 3 WRs in that draft.

In 2003 we sign a former 1,000 back - Olandis Gary - to back up a position that we had a Pro bowler at- then draft Willis McGahee.

Now it's getting a Pro-Bowl DB, when Clements went to his first one this year and we sign Vincent, who went to 5 of them.

There might also be more to Law's injury too. Law wants to be the top paid CB in the league, but if the foot injury is more serious than expected teams might not want to sign him for a lot of money long term. It's possible he will sign a 1 year deal- to sort of "prove" himself healthy again. After next season- he'll be healthier and teams will be more apt to give him his high price.

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Or maybe TD is working on a Clements for OL help trade and is looking at Law to replace him. That would make sense since Clements will prolly walk next year

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 08:46 AM
But again- unless you are getting a guy with only 1 year left on his deal too- why would a club want a guy with only 1 year left?

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:59 AM
But again- unless you are getting a guy with only 1 year left on his deal too- why would a club want a guy with only 1 year left?

I'm assuming any team that traded for him would give him a big extension.

Jan Reimers
03-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd only take Law if he came at a very reasonable price, which most likely won't be the case.

With our incredibly shrinking cap situation, we are WAY better off addressing other, more pressing, needs.

OpIv37
03-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Or maybe TD is working on a Clements for OL help trade and is looking at Law to replace him. That would make sense since Clements will prolly walk next year

I think this is a strong possibility- either that or signing Law to a multi-year deal because he knows Clements will walk, the hope being that McGee steps it up before Law retires/gets cut.

Italian Stallion
03-05-2005, 09:33 AM
I agree, if we sign Law Clements is gone....either this year now that his value is so high, or a franchise trade next offseason...I think they figure McGee needs one more season of experience before becoming a full time starter

jamze132
03-05-2005, 10:00 AM
The only thing that I can think of for Law visiting is that Donahoe has something big brewing with a Clements for O line help OR we are in contract negotiations with Clements and Law is here as leverage by Donahoe. Kind of using Law just to get a feel for what Clements wants. Personally, I would rather trade Clements for a top 5 O lineman and sign Law. Nothing against Clements, I love the guy, but he is worth a lot and it wouldn't hurt to see what we can possibly get back in return.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2005, 10:15 AM
If Law's injury is not dehabilitating, he is likely the best FA pick-up available. If TD uses the best player available theory he might sign him.

It would make the Bills pass defense deadly.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I can't see us signing him. I'm suprised we are even looking at a CB.

why? after next season when someone pays nate clements over 40 million and around 15 million up front, which you know for a fact that td wont do.. we will have mcgee and thomas left.. and actually mcgee should be coming up on FA as well.. he is in year 3 and was a 4th rounder.. dont the fourth rounders sign three year deals?

so yeah.. other than the fact that we will only have greer and thomas in a season or so.. i cant understand why we would look at cb either.

Italian Stallion
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
why? after next season when someone pays nate clements over 40 million and around 15 million up front, which you know for a fact that td wont do.. we will have mcgee and thomas left.. and actually mcgee should be coming up on FA as well.. he is in year 3 and was a 4th rounder.. dont the fourth rounders sign three year deals?

so yeah.. other than the fact that we will only have greer and thomas in a season or so.. i cant understand why we would look at cb either.

That's exactly the contract #'s I was thinking that Clements would command.... 6 year 40 million and 15 mil SB....NO WAY Donahoe shells that out to a player on the strongest unit of our team...Pawn Clements for some OL help if thats the case

and yes McGee will be an RFA next offseason, and you know teams will try to sign him to an offer sheet because of being a two way player

Philagape
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
We can't afford any player who I would trade Nate for. As far as OL, I would want a Pace-caliber player, and we can't afford that.

That brings us back to, how could we afford Law?

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 11:01 AM
i dont think it hurts to at least bring law in...he can only help us

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I want us to save up the money and extend Clements. I don't want another New England castoff.

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I want us to save up the money and extend Clements. I don't want another New England castoff.
Agreed. And as I've said in other threads, WE DON'T NEED A HIGH PRICED INJURED AGING 31 YEAR OLD CB.

Also, look at Denver. They traded Portis for Bailey, thinking they needed the top CB to make their D work. Well, those days are over with the new bump rules. You need fast CBs, and the older they get, the slower they get.

I really, really, really hope this is all noise.....or that TD has a 3-way trade planned in some fashion.

mybills
03-05-2005, 05:20 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!

I may have more selfish reasons though, living where I do. :couch:

BillsFever21
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd love to have Law but not for the money he will want. I'd rather give that money to Clements.

Drive 4 Five
03-05-2005, 08:03 PM

Yeah I myself am pretty sick of seeing us go after New England's scraps as if they were gold, the next year the Pats beat our ass anyway and then laugh at us for wasting VALUABLE cap space on players thye have deemed dead beats...

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Although if we could ever pry Vinatieri over, within the next couple of years before his legs get old at least, that may not be too bad...:naughty:

Drive 4 Five
03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Although if we could ever pry Vinatieri over, within the next couple of years before his legs get old at least, that may not be too bad...:naughty:

Yeah but we all know that if he came over he would suck cause that seems to happen to us everytime. Damn our luck man. Damn it all to hell.

You know a Patriot I would love to have? Troy Brown. Is that little dude bad ass or what? Now that guy is a football player. Full of heart. I can't believe they cut him. He would be better than any current 3rd receiver we have on our roster right now. He would be affordable and probably more productive than any of the other Patriots we've signed when you take into consideration what we paid to get them.

DaBills
03-05-2005, 08:37 PM
McGee was restricted this year. His soft coverage restricted him from making better plays.

Draft another corner would fit TD's logic. But we have focus on a DE before the secondary.

Miyagi-Do - our run defense was bad? It was our secondary coverage that sucked more.