PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have as starting QB?

Meathead
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
In a hypothetical situation where Drew and Kelly are your only choice, who would you rather have as starting QB?

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Looking at the costs- and looking at the strengths and weaknesses of this team- Holcomb in a heartbeat.

jamze132
03-05-2005, 09:44 AM
This is kind of a pointless thread, but I'll humor you. Gonna have to go with Holcomb just because he has the ability to throw for over 300 yrds.

Meathead
03-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Tough call.

I'm pretty sick of Bledsoe so emotionally I'd take Holcomb. But from a logical perspective if the cost was close I'd still have to go with Drew.

No, stats aren't everything but in case you're curious here they are:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3873
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=2359

Alluro
03-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Holcamania Forever !

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Tough call.

I'm pretty sick of Bledsoe so emotionally I'd take Holcomb. But from a logical perspective if the cost was close I'd still have to go with Drew.

6.5 million vs 2 million.

Meathead
03-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I guess it's a flawed question because Bledsoe comes with a lot of financial baggage from deals he's still dragging behind him. But the Cowboys are getting him for significantly less than 6.5 million, correct? So the comparision could be 2 mil vs what, 2.5?

Choose your own parameters, but I'm saying if I have to name one of those two guys as my starter for a season I'm still going to take Bledsoe.

The_Philster
03-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Holcomb is more mobile...which is a major plus in today's game. He's also not the type to carry the team on his shoulders...something a lot of people expected of Drew. Expectations are lessened with Holcomb because of that. But he seems to get the most out of his teammates when he's in there going by what I saw in Cleveland.

Meathead
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Well, a tombstone is more mobile than Bledsoe. But Holcomb's not much better. Check out his rushing stats - you'd think he'd roll on the ground for more than single digit rush yards. lol.

They are similar in a lot of ways. They both can really play at times and really suck at others. The only significant difference is that Holcomb seems to turn the ball over in important situations way more than he should. Kinda like a more talented Alex Van Pelt, who would do the same thing. They always end up with their INT total being the same or higher than their TD total.

Bledsoe has made some maddening mistakes the last couple years, which is one reason I'm sick of seeing him here, but he still ususally ends up with more TD's than INT's. That's important. And he's durable as they come, while Holcomb has spent as much time rehabbing as playing.

I'm still thrilled with the signing, just asking a question.

The_Philster
03-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, a tombstone is more mobile than Bledsoe. But Holcomb's not much better. Check out his rushing stats - you'd think he'd roll on the ground for more than single digit rush yards. lol.Well, I'm not saying he's gonna be confused for JP and Flutie or anything, but he seemed to have a bit more mobility when I saw him play in Cleveland when the Bills were there for a scrimmage in 2003. As long as he uses his mobility wisely, like we hope JP will do, I think I'll be satisfied.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 11:02 AM
kelly, no question. immobility kills...

Jan Reimers
03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
We need to get over Drew. He's gone.

I think some of you could use counseling.

Jayhawk
03-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Andre Reed would be a better qb than either of them. And I mean the Andre of this year.

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Drew is gone. Move on. Please.

No, seriously. Pleeeease.

THATHURMANATOR
03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Holcomb. I am very happy with this signing!

BAM
03-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Tough choice. Neither are anything spectacular.

Meathead
03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I should have thrown Dilfer in there. Who would end up the winning ho-hum?

Kerr
03-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Holcomb hands down.

jamze132
03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Tough call.

I am also emotionally drained, but I am slowly regaining my thought process back. It really helps whenever I see Cowboys apparrell. I kind of laugh and then remember something good.

PUCKER
03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Holcomb.

Bills 4 life
03-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I JUST MIGHT TAKE HOLCOMB OVER JP RIGHT NOW...

The_Philster
03-07-2005, 05:00 AM
I JUST MIGHT TAKE HOLCOMB OVER JP RIGHT NOW...

the caps lock key is to the left of the 'A'

helmetguy
03-07-2005, 05:42 AM
The "Real" Andre Reed was a QB at Kutztown when he was drafted.

Meathead
03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
You may have already saw this but I thought this guy did a good job of describing Holcomb. Great off the bench and good for some occasional fireworks but not somebody that defenses couldn't figure out how to contain as a regular starter. Perfect backup material.

Bledsoe would have been the world's all time best backup but I understand why he didn't want to stay. He did the right thing and TD did the right thing.

So the Bills get Holcomb with a good attitude and save money to boot. All in all it's hard to imagine the Bills doing a better job on this one.

Meathead
03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
oops, here's the link. Just another fan site trying to make some scratch I believe but well put:

http://notjustagame.com/articles/189/

Holcomb learned quickly, that when you’re a regular starter defensive coordinators can depict your actions from film and quickly use it against you. Holcomb’s inconsistency was on a weekly basis, and he ended up with more interceptions than touchdowns and a frustrating long season.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:34 AM
the caps lock key is to the left of the 'A'
:lol:

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:37 AM
(Holcomb was) not somebody that defenses couldn't figure out how to contain as a regular starter.Alot of coaches had the same success with Drew. Blitz up the middle and he gets sacked or tosses the INT, while locking on to his receivers and holding the ball too long. Drew was very easy to figure out.

Bledsoe would have been the world's all time best backup.Sorry but that distinction goes to Frank Reich. :D

Willis!
03-07-2005, 11:43 AM
If Holcomb is leading this vote by so much, why isn't he STARTING somewhere?

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:50 AM
If Holcomb is leading this vote by so much, why isn't he STARTING somewhere?
You are forgetting who the other QB on the poll is. :D

Willis!
03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
You are forgetting who the other QB on the poll is. :D
The starting QB for the Cowboys?

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
The starting QB for the Cowboys?
For the first 5-6 games, yes.

Willis!
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
For the first 5-6 games, yes.
Do you want to tell me next week's winning lotto numbers too?

Iehoshua
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Predicting Bledsoe will suck isn't clairvoyance, more like common sense...

dannyek71
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
obviously KH is most likely not going to be a star qb, but looking what he had to work with in cleveland, he did pretty good

Typ0
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Holcomb was in Cleveland during a time they were evaluating their talent and trying to figure out what was going to work for them in future seasons. During that time he did make mistakes...but he also engineered some serious wins for that team that was rebuilding. Once DB gets beat down a little he loses control and the game is over. I would take a chance that Holcomb can succeed here long before DB because we know he can't.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Actually, I don't. If I told you then I'd have to split the winnings.

Typ0
03-07-2005, 12:05 PM
obviously KH is most likely not going to be a star qb, but looking what he had to work with in cleveland, he did pretty good

KH has a chance to start here. If JP is that good he's going to be ready and win the job. If not...the coaches and management are going to go with the option that gives us the best chance to win. If it was me, I would tell JP he has the job...but also tell him that he better work hard and live up to the job because he is replacable just like everyone else.

I also will add this...Holcomb had some very good performances off the bench for Clevelend and JP is going to get hurt at some point this season. KH is here because this is a great opportunity for him to shine. He knows he capable and works hard...he knows when he gets the chance he can get the job done. Being a backup QB in the NFL is tremendously challenging. The team is in the midst of a big game and all of a sudden you have to be ready to play and win the game...and that could be from having not taken a snap in a game for the first 18 games. The young guys who are trying to get a chance to start and do a lot for their marketability by performing in those situations.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 12:08 PM
KH has a chance to start here. If JP is that good he's going to be ready and win the job. If not...the coaches and management are going to go with the option that gives us the best chance to win. If it was me, I would tell JP he has the job...but also tell him that he better work hard and live up to the job because he is replacable just like everyone else.

I also will add this...Holcomb had some very good performances off the bench for Clevelend and JP is going to get hurt at some point this season. KH is here because this is a great opportunity for him to shine. He knows he capable and works hard...he knows when he gets the chance he can get the job done. Being a backup QB in the NFL is tremendously challenging. The team is in the midst of a big game and all of a sudden you have to be ready to play and win the game...and that could be from having not taken a snap in a game for the first 18 games. The young guys who are trying to get a chance to start and do a lot for their marketability by performing in those situations.
Agreed.....and although I do NOT want this to be the case....given JP's style of play, he has a better than average chance of getting dinged until he learns to slide. I'm sure that factored into KH's decision as well.

Typ0
03-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Agreed.....and although I do NOT want this to be the case....given JP's style of play, he has a better than average chance of getting dinged until he learns to slide. I'm sure that factored into KH's decision as well.

I don't want that to happen either...but we have to be realistic and that's a big concern with JP.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Actually, I don't. If I told you then I'd have to split the winnings.
:rofl:

The_Philster
03-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Predicting Bledsoe will suck isn't clairvoyance, more like common sense...

thing is...he has a washout baseball player as his backup