PDA

View Full Version : Coles back to the Jets

The_Philster
03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
The Washington Redskins finally traded disgruntled receiver Laveranues Coles back to the New York Jets and got the speedy Santana Moss in return, a source within the league said Saturday.

The source, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said the deal was contingent on both players passing physicals. Moss had his physical scheduled for Monday at Redskins Park. The source also said Coles got the new deal he wanted, which held up the trade for the last week....more (http://cbsnewyork.com/sports/FBN--Jets-RedskinsTra-ss/resources_news_html)

Jayhawk
03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
great now the airplanes have a very good wr and an overrated qb

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
And everyone accused me of panicking the other day. At the very least, we need to find a way to bring in a backup QB and $652k won't do it. This also means we're starting the season with Lindell, no LG, no O-line depth, no TE, no DT...

by the way, did it every occur to anyone that lack of action on the O-line makes backup QB that much more important.

the skins just got whored... moss is nothing.. coles is a stud.

AndreReed83
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I think it's a stupid trade for the Jets. I'm not sure about contract info, but Moss was younger, faster, performing at the same level as Coles, if not better, and Moss still is getting better.

D-U-M-B! JETS JETS JETS!!!

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I think it's a stupid trade for the Jets. I'm not sure about contract info, but Moss was younger, faster, performing at the same level as Coles, if not better, and Moss still is getting better.

D-U-M-B! JETS JETS JETS!!!

i could not disagree more..

coles was taken much later in the draft than moss.. moss has been an underperformer his whole career.. he had part of one good season.. and is easy to shut down.. his only real attribute is he is a decent returner.

coles is a guy who catches 90 balls a year.. a deep threat that was on a **** box team with garbage qbs.. and he is still young and in the prime of his career.

moss has a great qb and the number one rusher in the league on his offense.. and he sucks donkey balls..

it seems your want/desire for the jets to suck is blinding you here.

AndreReed83
03-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow, I didn't mind that rebuttal (you had many good points) until your little "it seems your want/desire for the jets to suck is blinding you here." Just wow.........WOW.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 12:57 PM
i didnt mean it to come out so negative.. i am guilty of the same thing.

as bills fans we all have a tendency to see the bills in a better light.. and division competition in a more negative light..

just like the post about the pats going down just the other day...

sorry if i offended you. i apologize.. it wasnt my intent.

AndreReed83
03-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey yea, don't worry, I reacted pretty strongly, because hey, I'm an 18 year old kid in college, and what I say is never wrong. (hehe)

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 01:03 PM
i could not disagree more..

coles was taken much later in the draft than moss.. moss has been an underperformer his whole career.. he had part of one good season.. and is easy to shut down.. his only real attribute is he is a decent returner.

coles is a guy who catches 90 balls a year.. a deep threat that was on a **** box team with garbage qbs.. and he is still young and in the prime of his career.

moss has a great qb and the number one rusher in the league on his offense.. and he sucks donkey balls..

it seems your want/desire for the jets to suck is blinding you here.

I'll agree and disagree here. Coles' draft value slid a bit with his off-field problems. He does havemore overall talent than Moss, but he's also not hit his potential yet either.

Moss is a better clubhouse guy.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd take Moss over Coles as well at this point. Moss is a big-play threat, and is a great return man as well. Moss will score TDs.

I agree that Coles was a better player before, but his foot injury isn't going away. He wasn't the same player last year, and he doesn't want to have surgery. Coles YPC when down about 4 yards and he only scored 1 TD. Part of that can be blamed on the Redskins offense, but from what I saw he was not the same player. If I were the Jets, I'd be worried about getting damaged goods.

Gunzlingr
03-05-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree with NE39.

I had both on my fantasy team and they both f'ed me over :D

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Moss did very well for me in Typical Bill's league in 2003.

ParanoidAndroid
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Coles is better at getting open on third and long than Moss ever was. The Jets just got better on offense IMO, especially judging from the connection he and Pennington had in 2002. Pennington and Moss never developed that as most of Moss' big plays came from Testaverde's arm in 2003.

GreenMachine
03-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Moss has had too many injury problems. He also only had 1 year left on his contract and was wanting big bucks for producing little numbers. Pennington and Coles Hooked up for 1200+ yds when Coles was a Jet. This is a great trade for the Jets.

buffmaniac
03-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say this is a great trade. Pennington and Coles had good chemistry on the field so I can understand the move but I don't think this is a huge upgrade in any way.

Romes
03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/NFLNews.jsp?id=3767

Ickybaluky
03-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Moss has had too many injury problems.

If you watched Coles last year, you would wonder if he were the same player that played for the Jets. The foot injury is something that has nagged him over a year now, and he won't get surgery. He isn't getting the same break out of cuts. I'm not so certain he will pass his physical.

He also only had 1 year left on his contract and was wanting big bucks for producing little numbers.

So they gave the money to Cole instead. Don't forget, the Jets caved and gave Coles more money, and the guy is hurt.

Pennington and Coles Hooked up for 1200+ yds when Coles was a Jet. This is a great trade for the Jets.

The key words being: "when he was a jet". The guy has a chronic foot problem.

We will see how great a trade it is in time. If Coles is the old Coles, then it will be a good deal. If not, they gave up an explosive play-maker for a possession receiver. Plus, they got weaker on ST, because Moss is a feared return man.

Romes
03-05-2005, 03:29 PM
didn't see the other thread...please delete

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
id take moss over coles, more of a big time player

Dicknoze69
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Coles may be a better player when healthy, but they are also paying him much more than Moss would want in an extension.

I think the extension that Coles signed to make this deal happen is being overlooked.