PDA

View Full Version : Please list every team you would swap, in its entirety, for the Bills roster

Kelly The Dog
03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Counting coaches, contracts, salary cap, everything.

Right now, I think I would only take the Pats, The Steelers, and the The Eagles. There are surely better teams, the Colts for example, but I don't think I would take their entire roster and their future cap and defense and coaches for ours. Again, I am not saying the Bills are the fourth best team in football. I am saying we have a lot of young good players, we're in good cap shape over the long haul, I like our coaches, and we have a couple of stars in the making. Please list every team you would swap in total right now for ours.

So has TD done a good job?

Counting this year, Tom Donahoe will have had five years of #1 picks, counting his trading. Here are the players he has acquired because of his machinations:

Nate Clements
Travis Henry
Brandon Spoon
Mike Williams
Drew Bledsoe
Willis McGahee
Lee Evans
JP Losman

Five years. Eight players. One washout. Only one chance in the top ten. All starters at one time. Two bonafide stars in Nate and Willis. Three pro bowlers with Willis likely a fourth. A big OL coming into his own. Three young potential stars in the skill positions: Willis, Evans, Losman with a ton of time left on their contracts.

It ain't a bad record.

Note: Obviously he got the extra choice by his clever maneuver of transitioning Peerless, which not only wasn't really expected but handled correctly and we would have lost him for nothing.

Go ahead. Say "scoreboard". Say how many years have we made the playoffs? Its a legitimate complaint. But please then list all the teams you would trade our roster for right now.

Forward_Lateral
03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
??? Stupid. I am a Bills fan, I wouldn't trade the Bills roster for any roster in the league. I've grown accustom to these guys, and like them. Trading the entire team would be like re-locating and then brining in an expansion team, IMO.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 05:13 PM
??? Stupid. I am a Bills fan, I wouldn't trade the Bills roster for any roster in the league. I've grown accustom to these guys, and like them. Trading the entire team would be like re-locating and then brining in an expansion team, IMO.

i concur wit forward lateral, this is blasphemy!!! hah, nah, but i love the bills thats why i am a fan

im4bflo
03-05-2005, 05:15 PM
:negrep: :wtf:

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
The sad part is, with the advent of FA'cy, you won't get that "family" feel ever again. So in reality any NFL team for the most part is only together for a few years before changes start happening. It will never be like the days of Kelly/TT/Reed/Smith/Hull again. FA'cy has put an end to family teams, so your loyalty becomes more to the name/history of the team rather than that specific group of players who played and fought together for years and years. :sigh:

And even though I'm not naive to think it wasn't about money before FAcy, it certainly went up a ton afterwards. Players team loyalty is all but gone in the NFL these days.

Kelly The Dog
03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Ummm... it's commonly referred to as a hypothetical question, as in, who do you really think is in better shape overall.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
The sad part is, with the advent of FA'cy, you won't get that "family" feel ever again. So in reality any NFL team for the most part is only together for a few years before changes start happening. It will never be like the days of Kelly/TT/Reed/Smith/Hull again. FA'cy has put an end to family teams, so your loyalty becomes more to the name/history of the team rather than that specific group of players who played and fought together for years and years. :sigh:

which complete sucks...why dont players have loyalty anymore?? everyone catches the greedies...

mybills
03-05-2005, 05:28 PM
<b>Please list every team you would swap, in its entirety, for the Bills roster</b>
NONE!

Counting coaches, contracts, salary cap, everything.

Right now, I think I would only take the Pats.
:rofl:

mybills
03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
At least have the decency to recognize the Vikings and all that they have done BEFORE the draft! Damn, they didn't even make your list! Tell him, Topdog! :shakeno:

EDS
03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
which complete sucks...why dont players have loyalty anymore?? everyone catches the greedies...

Have you been employed at the same company your entire professional life? Probably not. It is rare in this day and age to not switch companies/firms/partners. It is not just players, it is all of us. Sad, but true.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Have you been employed at the same company your entire professional life? Probably not. It is rare in this day and age to not switch companies/firms/partners. It is not just players, it is all of us. Sad, but true.

understandable but a team is different than a job. given the chance of FA impatient players just jump ship, whereas if they stayed the team could improve more easily without factoring losses of players and fills holes...

im4bflo
03-05-2005, 05:52 PM
understandable but a team is different than a job. given the chance of FA impatient players just jump ship, whereas if they stayed the team could improve more easily without factoring losses of players and fills holes...
On my job, there's no chance for me to get a SB ring and a CHAMPIONSHIP.
That should be a huge factor in football.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
On my job, there's no chance for me to get a SB ring and a CHAMPIONSHIP.
That should be a huge factor in football.

tehn why are guys leaving the patriots?? they dont care about winning, its the money

Kelly The Dog
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
The teams and cities are no more or less loyal to the fans than the players are. The players are no more or less loyal to the teams and cities than the teams or cities are to the players. The fans are no more or less loyal to the players than the players are to the teams and fans.

And yet the NFL is by far the best run, most successful, and the standard model for all leagues anywhere on the planet. That's just the way it is, and there are not a lot of legitimate ways to make the overall system better. Keyword being overall.

Forward_Lateral
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Ummm... it's commonly referred to as a hypothetical question, as in, who do you really think is in better shape overall.

I don't understand. Why would you ask what team you'd want to trade the entire Bills roster for, but then say you are really asking "who's the best team in the NFL?"

Of course the team "in the best shape" is the Pats, but would I welcome an entire roster swap with them? Hell no. I dispise almost every player on their roster. It's a bit different if we are talking "what player in the NFL would you want" but asking "what team" you want, is a bit ludacris.

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
nd yet the NFL is by far the best run, most successful, and the standard model for all leagues anywhere on the planet. That's just the way it is, and there are not a lot of legitimate ways to make the overall system better. Keyword being overall.

bbecause footballs the greatest sport around...

AndreReed83
03-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't understand. Why would you ask what team you'd want to trade the entire Bills roster for, but then say you are really asking "who's the best team in the NFL?"

Of course the team "in the best shape" is the Pats, but would I welcome an entire roster swap with them? Hell no. I dispise almost every player on their roster. It's a bit different if we are talking "what player in the NFL would you want" but asking "what team" you want, is a bit ludacris.

Yes, but we see those "swap player" questions all the time. Swapping a whole team makes you think more, it forces you to make sacrifices. I like his question.

mybills
03-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Of course the team "in the best shape" is the Pats
FLAG

Kelly The Dog
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm not asking who is the best team right now, I am asking who is the best team right now AND in the best shape for the near future AND in the distant future. In order to show people what kind of job the GM is doing. It is arguable with the losses in coaching and players on the Patriots if they are the best team coming into this year and for the next few years. I said I thought they were in better shape than the Bills but perhaps not.

The GM's job is to win games and hire a coach and put together a great roster and manage the cap and get fannies in the seats and keep the franchise at the top of the league in as many of those things simultaneously as he can. I am not suggesting TD get on the phone and say to Bill "Nappy" Polian how about trading all of uses for all of youses. I am saying look around the league, look at the big picture, look and who we have, how much we're paying now and later, what we look like this year and the next and the next, and are there any or a lot of other teams that OVERALL look better than us. I thought of three. I think that shows that TD is doing a very good job, IMO. If my list was more like 8-9 or above I may think the opposite.

Meathead
03-05-2005, 06:16 PM
1993 Cowboys

Best roster in NFL history - thanks to a half-decade of sucking and the famous Herschel trade/heist. Number 1 & 2's everywhere.

Thanks god the current form of free agency came along just then or they'd have won 6-8 SB's, imo.