PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: Gandy signed as Third Tackle

Romes
03-05-2005, 06:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html

The Bills move to sign Mike Gandy off the street is simply an insurance policy where he may become the third tackle. The Bills lost left tackle Jonas Jennings to San Francisco. They also might lose their current third tackle, Marcus Price, who is a free agent.

This means that we can hold on till the Bills sign another tackle. I hope this is true because there still are some good ones out on the market. Or perhaps even one that we can trade Henry and a draft pick for.

YardRat
03-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I still say the Henry for Shelton deal isn't as dead as some think.

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 07:15 PM
It also would not suprise me to see Henry and /or Shelton dealt either for each other or something else on draft day- similar to Bledsoe and Dillon.

The Cards and/or the Bills might pull the trigger on deals if a guy is available they really want at a draft spot- or if their pick comes up and the guy they really want is gone.

buffmaniac
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
The Cards and/or the Bills might pull the trigger on deals if a guy is available they really want at a draft spot- or if their pick comes up and the guy they really want is gone.

This is a possibility. I have a feeling that the Cards want a RB with their first round pick but if all the top guys are gone by their pick then they may want to make the trade for Henry.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 09:20 PM
maybe td will move up in the draft and take our new LT.

Mudflap1
03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Bottom line -- we have an unproven QB and we need a really good LT. Jennings was decent -- not worth the money in S.F., and we kinda needed to upgrade anyway.

I don't know HOW he is gonna pull this off, but I hope to hell he does.

Jon

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 10:08 PM
shelton or the draft is really our only hope at this point.. there really isnt any more LTs worth a crap out there.

The Spaz
03-06-2005, 01:50 AM
shelton or the draft is really our only hope at this point.. there really isnt any more LTs worth a crap out there.

If we don't get Shelton or Bennie Anderson then yeah the draft would be the last resort. Or if Bennie anderson isn't a tackle which he isn't...ooops. :funny:

Hamilton Billsfan
03-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Gandy is an experienced starter,should be used as a OL depth, think more at guard,not tackle.....if he's healthy now! Smart signing by TD if the following works out.

Williams had come to camp last year out of shape?....by the time he started playing well, we went on that win streak,lets hope that it doesn't happen again this year at training camp. Williams needs to be moved to LT and show he can perform like his contract pays him, this year, at LT,if not,the Bills will have to make some painful decisions.

All we need is one more piece of the puzzle, Henry for another monster Tackle or Henry for a 1st or Henry and a pick for a high 1st, use it to draft a tackle and start said tackle at RT.

If all this happens(yea lots of ifs but fully in the realm of possibility), I think we could have the best OL the Bills have ever had!

Dozerdog
03-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Gandy is an experienced starter,should be used as a OL depth, think more at guard,not tackle.....if he's healthy now! Smart signing by TD if the following works out.

Williams had come to camp last year out of shape?....by the time he started playing well, we went on that win streak,lets hope that it doesn't happen again this year at training camp. Williams needs to be moved to LT and show he can perform like his contract pays him, this year, at LT,if not,the Bills will have to make some painful decisions.

All we need is one more piece of the puzzle, Henry for another monster Tackle or Henry for a 1st or Henry and a pick for a high 1st, use it to draft a tackle and start said tackle at RT.

If all this happens(yea lots of ifs but fully in the realm of possibility), I think we could have the best OL the Bills have ever had!

While I agtree with most of this wholeheartedly, let's not go overboard on this line's place in Bills history.

Better than the Electric Company? Better than Wolford-Ritcher-Hull-Davis-Ballard?

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/bills.JPG

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/timezone/billscards/thumb_1991-wolford.JPGhttp://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/timezone/billscards/thumb_1991-ritcher.JPGhttp://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/thumb_HullKent93-3TB.jpghttp://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/thumb_DavisJohn1993TB.jpghttp://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/timezone/billscards/thumb_1996-Ballard.JPG

DynaPaul
03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
The Cardinals just signed OT Oliver Ross and Green said the starting offensive line is now all set. This isn't increasing their leverage any with the Shelton-Henry deal. I think this one is still alive. Check out this article:

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2666

Hamilton Billsfan
03-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Well...I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this so i'll apologize first and hope too many people won't be offended....

That line may have been good but it was undersized and got blown off the line when it counted..eg during the Super Bowls!

Frankly, I have never been happy with the O-Line in the 25 years that I have been a Bills Fan. Also, when I say that when a Line could be the Best in Bills History, that's not saying much! Truthfully, it has always been a problem for the Bills( and a lot of other teams) to assemble 6 guys that have Talent and Size at the same time.The opposition always finds our weakness and exploits it in all the big games!

Dozerdog
03-06-2005, 10:14 AM
If I recall- our O Line ran over the Giants in the first one- we lost that because our defense was shoved around in the second half.

Some of the other SB losses were due to too many interceptions and fumbles. When the team was down 2-3 scores in those games other teams would just blitz-blitz-blitz all day.

You have your opinion on the Bills' OL during the run- which is fine. We will agree to disagree on that. But to compare this line (or it's potential) with whomever we sign in free agency (or get Shelton) to that one is crazytalk. That line the Bills had was one of the best if not the best in the NFL (top 3 at least) during that time, while we will all be estatic around here if the Bills OL next season is in the top 12-15 in the league.

chevyjayce
03-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Has any one given any thought on the possibility of Peters playing at RT with MW at LT? Peters is a monster with alot of upside, I am not sure if Mouse can work his magic that fast though!

Michael82
03-06-2005, 10:40 AM
The Cardinals just signed OT Oliver Ross and Green said the starting offensive line is now all set. This isn't increasing their leverage any with the Shelton-Henry deal. I think this one is still alive. Check out this article:

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2666
BINGO! Tom Donahoe knows this and so does everyone else in the league. IF Green doesn't find someone to trade Shelton to, he would cut him after camp. Everyone knows that Green doesn't like Shelton. Everyone knows that Green is asking for too much. This is also why TD won't part with a draft pick to go with Henry. TD is calling Green's bluff.

Ebenezer
03-07-2005, 07:58 AM
BINGO! Tom Donahoe knows this and so does everyone else in the league. IF Green doesn't find someone to trade Shelton to, he would cut him after camp. Everyone knows that Green doesn't like Shelton. Everyone knows that Green is asking for too much. This is also why TD won't part with a draft pick to go with Henry. TD is calling Green's bluff.
what bluff?? is there a dying urgent need for either team to move their respective players?

EDS
03-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Well...I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this so i'll apologize first and hope too many people won't be offended....

That line may have been good but it was undersized and got blown off the line when it counted..eg during the Super Bowls!

Frankly, I have never been happy with the O-Line in the 25 years that I have been a Bills Fan. Also, when I say that when a Line could be the Best in Bills History, that's not saying much! Truthfully, it has always been a problem for the Bills( and a lot of other teams) to assemble 6 guys that have Talent and Size at the same time.The opposition always finds our weakness and exploits it in all the big games!

How could you call a line with Ballard, Wolford and Davis undersized? All were over 300 pounds (Ballard over 300) at a time where the NFL was just transitioning to supersized linemen.

Earthquake Enyart
03-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Has any one given any thought on the possibility of Peters playing at RT with MW at LT? Peters is a monster with alot of upside, I am not sure if Mouse can work his magic that fast though!
I think they should put Peters left of the center and he can play both guard and tackle at the same time. Then we could go 6 wide.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I think they should put Peters left of the center and he can play both guard and tackle at the same time. Then we could go 6 wide.
:lol:

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
And after JP hands off to Lee Evans, he can come back around on a reverse and hand it to Peters and then run in front of him to help block!!!

Spiderweb
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
How could you call a line with Ballard, Wolford and Davis undersized? All were over 300 pounds (Ballard over 300) at a time where the NFL was just transitioning to supersized linemen.
IIRC this line was considered huge in it's day. Loved the nickname "House" Ballard. In fact, only Ritcher was a tad undersized, but he more than made up for it with strength, agility, and great technique. Loved watching him pull.

Typ0
03-07-2005, 12:45 PM
If I recall- our O Line ran over the Giants in the first one- we lost that because our defense was shoved around in the second half.

another ten yards at the end of the game sure would have been nice and changed history.

Earthquake Enyart
03-07-2005, 01:03 PM
And after JP hands off to Lee Evans, he can come back around on a reverse and hand it to Peters and then run in front of him to help block!!!
No. They use the great Sam Aiken for those kind of plays. Get with the program.

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 02:20 PM
No. They use the great Sam Aiken for those kind of plays. Get with the program.
Not anymore...Nugent can do it all! Once we draft him with our 2nd pick, with him and Peters in the lineup, we'll be unstoppable! :rockout:

BuffaloRanger
05-18-2005, 01:50 AM
What a difference 2 months makes. This guy had "backup" and "depth" written all over him. Nobody wanted to consider him as a starting LT, not with the Shelton deal and the Draft possibilites. Who actually thought we'd be here in the middle of May looking at Gandy as LT?

But here we are.

Gandy goes from "just another FA pick-up" to the all-important LT position.

If Gandy works out and plays above average - it will be the best offseason move in the NFL. I think picking up a starting LT from the trash heap would have to be TDs best FA pickup ever. Better than TKO, Adams, etc because they were expected to be stars.

Will there be a big June 1st FA pickup for the Oline? Turley? Shelton? Doubtful.

Michael82
05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
What a difference 2 months makes. This guy had "backup" and "depth" written all over him. Nobody wanted to consider him as a starting LT, not with the Shelton deal and the Draft possibilites. Who actually thought we'd be here in the middle of May looking at Gandy as LT?

But here we are.

Gandy goes from "just another FA pick-up" to the all-important LT position.

If Gandy works out and plays above average - it will be the best offseason move in the NFL. I think picking up a starting LT from the trash heap would have to be TDs best FA pickup ever. Better than TKO, Adams, etc because they were expected to be stars.

Will there be a big June 1st FA pickup for the Oline? Turley? Shelton? Doubtful.
Plus, he's only 26 years old. :up:

Tatonka
05-18-2005, 10:45 AM
he was a 3rd round pick.. drafted 20 picks or so before jennings.. there is no reason he cant do well under mcnally as long as he can stay healthy.. that was the main knock on him.. his health.. he says is he healthy now and ready to go.

ShadowHawk7
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Sweet post. :posrep: Here's to hoping you're right. :beer:

Canadian'eh!
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
A better question would be... why haven't we resigned Price yet? he filled in very well at both T spots last year and he'd be cheap enough i would think.

The Spaz
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
A better question would be... why haven't we resigned Price yet? he filled in very well at both T spots last year and he'd be cheap enough i would think.

We aren't signing Price rookie guard Justin Geisinger already has his number.

BuffaloRanger
05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
We aren't signing Price rookie guard Justin Geisinger already has his number.

Until he lands on the practice squad. :D

The Spaz
05-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Until he lands on the practice squad. :D

Why give away his number if we were planning on having him back?