X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Jets in contract negotiations with Law

Breaking News, data & opinions in business, sports, entertainment, travel, lifestyle, plus much more. Newsday.com is the leading news source for Long Island & NYC.

The Jets said goodbye to another key free agent Friday, welcomed two acquisitions, signed a third player to an offer sheet and began negotiations with what could be the biggest catch of all.

Care to have three-time Super Bowl-winning cornerback Ty Law on your team?

The Jets are talking with the former Patriots cornerback, two sources have told Newsday. Law, 31, was released last week in a salary-cap move and is on the open market.

Law, who spoke with team officials Thursday, suffered a fractured foot Oct. 31 against the Steelers and missed the rest of the season, including Super Bowl XXXIX. He is not completely healthy, which could factor into how much the Jets are willing to offer in a contract. At full strength, Law is one of the league's premier cover corners.

If Law were to sign, it could impact veteran Donnie Abraham, who joined the team as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay in 2002. Abraham fell out of favor with the Jets' coaching staff near the end of last season.

Law, the Patriots' first-round pick in 1995, tied Raymond Clayborn's franchise record with 36 career interceptions. He is a four-time Pro Bowl selection, including three straight from 2001-2003.

The Jets also are continuing their efforts to complete a trade for Redskins receiver Laveranues Coles, the former Jet who was signed by Washington in 2003 as a restricted free agent. The only remaining hangup is working out a contract for Coles, who is being asked to forfeit $5 million of the $13-million signing bonus he received from the Redskins. The Jets would trade fourth-year receiver Santana Moss if and when Coles agrees to a contract offer.

Meanwhile, the Jets signed tight end Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent from the Broncos, to a five-year, $12-million offer sheet. The Broncos have seven days to match the offer. If they let him go, the Jets will forfeit a sixth-round pick in next month's draft. Putzier had 36 catches for 572 yards and two touchdowns last season.

The Jets declined to compete with the Giants' megabucks offer for offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie, who signed a seven-year, $37.8-million deal Friday. The Jets have no immediate plans to sign a replacement for McKenzie -- former Titans right tackle Fred Miller is available -- and might select a tackle in a draft that is considered very deep at the position.

The Jets have filled two other needs by signing backup running back Derrick Blaylock, an unrestricted free agent from the Chiefs, and Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree, who will figure into the defensive line rotation.

"I'm very excited to be with the Jets," said Blaylock, a backup in Kansas City to Priest Holmes. "I got a good feeling from the organization. I think I can contribute."

Blaylock hopes to carry the ball as many as 15 times a game, although workhorse running back Curtis Martin, who won the NFL rushing title last year, still figures to handle the bulk of the running game.

On Thursday, the Jets lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys and backup running back LaMont Jordan to the Raiders.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

As long as he doesn't sign here I'm fine. He is not going to have Drew to pick off anymore so honestly I'm not concerned where he goes.

Comment

• The Natrix
      • Jul 2002

Good. Now the Law talk can stop, hopefully. McGee will be just fine.

I hope he signs with the Jets so Evans can school is injured, old, overpaid self.

Byrd.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

According to this article the Jets aren't really interested in Law. Scroll to the bottom and it says:

"Contrary to a published report, the Jets have no interest in former Patriots CB Ty Law, according to a team source."

That makes sense, IMO. Law is in a wheelchair right now. He wants a big signing bonus. He isn't going to get that kind of money from an NFL team until he proves his foot is going to be OK. The guy won't even be running before June. He is going to have a hard time finding a team that will not want to hedge their bet by giving him a 1-year deal, or a deal with a big option after the first year.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Yeah, Law will be a late season sign, unless the injury is minor enough that team doctor's feel that by next season he'll be back up to speed.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
            • Mar 2003

Wow, it looks like the Jets are making some decent moves, and covering their bases..
            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
              Wow, it looks like the Jets are making some decent moves, and covering their bases..
              Yeah but they still have that nitwit coach, Herm Edwards.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Jets | Not Interested in Law? - from www.KFFL.com
                Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:30:40 -0800

Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have, despite published reports, no interest in signing unrestricted free agent CB Ty Law (foot), who was recently released by the New England Patriots.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                  Yeah but they still have that nitwit coach, Herm Edwards.
                  Funny...I think he does a pretty good job and is a great fit for NY...they somehow manage to make the playoffs too!

Comment

• jpdex12
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                    Funny...I think he does a pretty good job and is a great fit for NY...they somehow manage to make the playoffs too!
                    I think that MNF should come out with another black athlete/ white woman commercial to distract Edwards the week before the Bills play them. Maybe it'll give us a bigger advantage!
                    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

That was Dungy that got all pissed off.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Personally I like Edwards.

Comment

• jpdex12
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          That was Dungy that got all pissed off.
                          Oops! Didn't Herm get pissed over something this year though?
                          Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Herm had it out with his OC when he insisted on putting Martin in the lineup even though Jordan was tearing up the yards. It was just a heat of the moment thing I think.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Herm had it out with his OC when he insisted on putting Martin in the lineup even though Jordan was tearing up the yards. It was just a heat of the moment thing I think.
                              It was his running backs coach he got into it with.

I think Sam Gash is replacing the RB coach this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X