• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Should we take a stab at this kicker?

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Sunday, March 6, 2005

Update: The Falcons signed Todd Peterson to a one-year deal this weekend. Recommendation: That likely means that Feely will be kicking elsewhere next season, assuming that he's shopping his services as a free agent. His value could be low kicking for a lesser team, unless he ends up with a dome team again. We suppose the Falcons might allow him to compete with Peterson, though it doesn't sound like it right now.

We might be able to grab Feely for a decent price. The only thought that I have is...didn't he start his kicking career in a dome? His stats are better than "Blind"ell's beyond the forty.
    Lindell >40 yards = 56.7%
    Feely >40 yards = 62.8%

See stats: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/234829
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Let's look at his record compared to what we got.

He was also a dome kicker- so I wonder what he will do in the crappy wind/weather of the Ralph
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Here is Lindell with his Seattle numbers
      Attached Files

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jpdex12
        RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
        Sunday, March 6, 2005

Update: The Falcons signed Todd Peterson to a one-year deal this weekend. Recommendation: That likely means that Feely will be kicking elsewhere next season, assuming that he's shopping his services as a free agent. His value could be low kicking for a lesser team, unless he ends up with a dome team again. We suppose the Falcons might allow him to compete with Peterson, though it doesn't sound like it right now.

We might be able to grab Feely for a decent price. The only thought that I have is...didn't he start his kicking career in a dome? His stats are better than "Blind"ell's beyond the forty.
        Lindell >40 yards = 56.7%
        Feely >40 yards = 62.8%

See stats: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/234829
        I'd bring him in to compete maybe, but everyone's percentage outside the 40 seems to go down in stadiums like the Ralph and Landry. Remember, Lindell started his career in a dome too. I'd just give Lindell another year rather than sign another mediocre kicker. Maybe he'll get some of his leg strength back that he seems to have lost since 2000. We can scope out some NFL Europe kickers too.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Hmmm...pretty much looks like the same kicker. Feely is 7-16 on fg attempts over 40 yards over the past 2 seasons.

Comment

• AndreReed83
            Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
            • Mar 2004

Feely looks like he'd be another head case for us fans. I'd just as soon stick with Lindell since he's mostly gotten used to the Ralph's winds instead of subjecting a new kicker to it. That difference could especially prove big with a new QB whom we just need to get points on the board for sometimes.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
            "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Italian Stallion
              Knows More Than You
              • Feb 2004

Dome kicker that can't make many past 40....no way
              BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• jpdex12
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                Let's look at his record compared to what we got.

He was also a dome kicker- so I wonder what he will do in the crappy wind/weather of the Ralph
                I was wondering about how he'd be in our weather as well. I'd get him up here right now for a few trial kicks in 25 degree weather at the Ralph! Today would be a good day to try it. I think it would be smarter grabbing a FA kicker rather than spending a 3rd round pick on Nugent. I would love to see what Nugent could do for us though.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Pass...I'll take Pochman.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Feeley doesn't really look any better than Lindell. I agree, I think I'd give Lindell one more chance and if he doesn't do well this year, bring in new blood. Plenty of people here are calling for giving Josh Reed another chance - I don't see how then Lindell shouldn't get another chance. And with all the holes we need to fill, it might better to move that to next year. At the very least, Lindell is average - just not great. Yeah, we'd like a great kicker, but let's see what the draft has to offer when it's out turn to pick and go from there. I wouldn't be surprised in Donahoe brings in someone in the late rds or an undrafted gem to compete...

Comment

• jpdex12
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                      Feely looks like he'd be another head case for us fans. I'd just as soon stick with Lindell since he's mostly gotten used to the Ralph's winds instead of subjecting a new kicker to it. That difference could especially prove big with a new QB whom we just need to get points on the board for sometimes.
                      I would say that Lindell hasn't gotten used to our weather conditions yet. He shanked one during perfect conditions against Jax, missed another against Pitt too and that wasn't a bad game weather wise. I've been to a lot worse. If he cannot hit those at 42 yards and closer than we might as well fill his roster spot with another position player and have Moorman kick the chip shots. I'm being sarcastic of course. Seriously though, Lindell hasn't showed me anything! He has had two years. He is big for his size and cannot kick the rock. Hopefully TD is flying under the radar and can grab some no namer that will suprise us.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Feely had a horrid time in Atlanta with getting his kicks up over the DL, he trying so hard to pound the hell out of the ball that he was driving it too low, it has since been corrected but like others have said he's a dome kicker and Im afraid with him here and in whipping winds he may resort back to his old driving self and cost us some games through field posistion on blocks. Ill take Lindell and a NFLE K.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kevinj22
                          • Feb 2005

You can never gauge what a dome kicker will do having to deal with the elements. That's like saying a guy playing for the Colorado Rockies is a great homerun hitter. You just don't know

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Feely gets 3 1/2 yards more per kickoff, and his FG% career-wise is only 1% better than Lindell.

For being a dome kicker- he seemed to struggle a lot from medium range.

Statistically, Lindell didn't have a terrible year, 2 of his 4 misses though were at inopportune times (Jacksonville game opener and Pittsburgh finale). The 14 games in between, I remember one hitting a wall of wind vs Miami in Buffalo, the only other miss was vs Miami in Miami.

Looking at the worst weather games this season at the Ralph-

10/17 vs Miami-
                            Game Day Weather
                            Game Weather: High Winds
                            Played Outdoor on Turf: AstroPlay Temp: 45° F (7.28° C), Wind: W 25 mph
                            Wind Chill: 35° F
                            Outdoor Weather: Forecast: continued Windy, chance of showers, high in the 40's.
                            2 of 3 FGs, missing from 40-49 into the wind, 2-2 on extra points
                            ========================

10/31 vs Arizona

Game Weather: Showers, windy
                            Played Outdoor on Turf: AstroPlay Temp: 55° F (12.88° C), Humidity: 69%, Wind: W 21 mph
                            Outdoor Weather: Forecast: light showers, winds 20-30 mph, gusts to 40; temps in low 50s
                            1-1 FGs (Chip shot) 5-5 XP
                            ======================================

11/7 vs NY Jets

Game Day Weather
                            Game Weather: Mostly cloudy, windy
                            Played Outdoor on Turf: AstroPlay Temp: 55° F (12.88° C), Humidity: 60%, Wind: SW 25 mph
                            Outdoor Weather: Forecast: slight chance of shower, peeks of sun; winds gusting to 32; temps in mid-50s.
                            2-2 FGs from medium range, 2-2 XP

=======================================

11/21 Rams -
                            Game Day Weather
                            Game Weather: Partly cloudy
                            Played Outdoor on Turf: AstroPlay Temp: 50° F (10.08° C), Humidity: 74%, Wind: W 10 mph
                            Outdoor Weather: Forecast: temps in 50s, winds 10-15 mph
                            3-3 from medium range, 4-4 XP

====================================

12/12 Browns
                            Game Day Weather
                            Game Weather: Light snow
                            Played Outdoor on Turf: AstroPlay Temp: 31° F (-0.56° C), Humidity: 56%, Wind: S 10 mph
                            Outdoor Weather: Forecast: continued light snow, winds S 15-20 mph, temps in mid-30s
                            3-3 from Medium Range, 4-4 XP

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                              Here is Lindell with his Seattle numbers
                              You know, looking at those stats...I'm all for giving Lindell another chance. If he stinks it up again, maybe they can cut him and pickup one of the rookie FAs.

It beats wasting a day 1 pick on a kicker, when we only have 2 currently.

Comment

Working...
                              X