PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports Bills report

Kerr
03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=2

He's right. Expect to see plenty of double teams on Sam with the loss of Pat.

jamze132
03-06-2005, 03:47 PM

Thats just fine with me. Double him all afternoon and our safeties and CB's will have a field day with their QB.

Meathead
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Yep. But it's not like they're doomed, most teams don't even have one Sam/Pat. They can make some adjustments regardless of who they do or don't sign. But they'll certainly get value for that money some place else as well.

Sportsuser101
03-06-2005, 04:13 PM
They doubled Sam even when Pat was there.

Mr. Cynical
03-06-2005, 04:19 PM
One of those adjustments could be a move to a 3-4...IF we can get a good DE to complement AS. The strongest part of our D is our linebackers so it's not out of the question.

Dozerdog
03-06-2005, 04:24 PM
LOL... sounds easy but you would have to revamp a lot of your talent on defense.

You need bigger defensive ends in a 3-4. You need more linebackers. Jerry Gray is a disciple of the Buddy Ryan 46 defense, which is a 4-3 defense.

Look at Dallas- they are switching and they have to revamp their LBers and DL. If they all sucked in the first place- no biggie. But why mess up the #2 defense 2 years running?

You are beter off getting another DT

kevinj22
03-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Double teaming Sam is nothing new. We've worked around it in the past and we'll work around it in the future. All that does is leave one less blocker on our LB"s so it actually helps us.

Mr. Cynical
03-06-2005, 04:55 PM
LOL... sounds easy but you would have to revamp a lot of your talent on defense.

You need bigger defensive ends in a 3-4. You need more linebackers. Jerry Gray is a disciple of the Buddy Ryan 46 defense, which is a 4-3 defense.

Look at Dallas- they are switching and they have to revamp their LBers and DL. If they all sucked in the first place- no biggie. But why mess up the #2 defense 2 years running?

You are beter off getting another DT
I didn't say it was likely but only a possibility. I agree that it would be alot easier to get another DT.

EDS
03-06-2005, 06:08 PM
According to ESPN Pat Williams only played 58% of the defense plays last year, so I imagine Gray and the rest of the defense has already dealt with this issue.

ICE74129
03-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Let me counter Fox sports with this, Have ANY member of the media been at EVERY Bills practice? Meeting? Lifting sessions?

I bet Edwards and Anderson shock fox sports.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I think that double teaming Sam was one of the things that made Pat so effective, and that Ron Edwards will flourish with more playing time. Tim Anderson, a 3rd round pick with a year under his belt, should be a capable backup. Bannon has also played decently at times.

I'm not sure that adding another DT is a huge priority.

Ickybaluky
03-06-2005, 06:48 PM
According to ESPN Pat Williams only played 58% of the defense plays last year, so I imagine Gray and the rest of the defense has already dealt with this issue.

I'm willing to bet he played a whole hell of a lot in running situations and not a whole lot in passing situations.

Kerr
03-06-2005, 09:54 PM
The key will be if our other guys can take advantage of the double teaming Sam is getting. It's easy to think that will help us, but if young guys like Anderson and Edwards can't take advantage of individual matchups, then it's meaningless.

Tatonka
03-06-2005, 10:06 PM
i loved big pat, but he is 32.. there is a very good chance that his play will start deteriorating as soon as this season.. DTs dont last forever.. especially 350 lbs DTs.. we have invested 4 picks in DTs under TD.. DTs that have seen the field more than people give them credit for.. pat did not play anything close to full time in any game.. Ron Edwards has had some dominant performances in the past and show a great ability to penitrate the line and get pressure on the qb. Tim Anderson was known for being a stout run defender, which is also Bannans m.o.. another guy that people are completely discounting, but the bills have kept around is Sape.

i can say with absolute confidence that i trust TD and the coaching staff in this situation.. the guys that are here WILL step up and play well.. we have depth at the position and it will show this year. i personally dont see the need to bring in another DT. Denny and Kelsay have both rotated in at DT in obvious passing situations with Posey at DE..

no worries guys.. no worries! We were not the number 2 defense because of one DT that play half of the games. not to minimize pats contribution.. but we have plenty of talent on defense to stay in the top 5

you can now return to your regularly scheduled *****ing. :D

jrwozniak
03-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 could be one of the dumbest ideas yet. Pat Williams was a good defensive tackle, but lets not kid ourselves. Anderson and Edwards splitting time will replace Pat. We were the #2 defense in the league last year, you can't change the entire scheme because of Pat Williams.

How many Pro Bowls did Fat Pat go to???

Sportsuser101
03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 could be one of the dumbest ideas yet. Pat Williams was a good defensive tackle, but lets not kid ourselves. Anderson and Edwards splitting time will replace Pat. We were the #2 defense in the league last year, you can't change the entire scheme because of Pat Williams.

How many Pro Bowls did Fat Pat go to???
Lets not evaluate a players talent by probowls. We all remember the last couple years Ruben Brown was here. He went to the probowl just by putting a jersey on.

Tatonka
03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
i think he was an alternate twice.

joexxx
03-07-2005, 01:07 AM

I think Ron Edwards is going to better than people think in place of pat williams.

ArcticWildMan
03-07-2005, 01:20 AM
i loved big pat, but he is 32.. there is a very good chance that his play will start deteriorating as soon as this season.. DTs dont last forever.. especially 350 lbs DTs.. we have invested 4 picks in DTs under TD.. DTs that have seen the field more than people give them credit for.. pat did not play anything close to full time in any game.. Ron Edwards has had some dominant performances in the past and show a great ability to penitrate the line and get pressure on the qb. Tim Anderson was known for being a stout run defender, which is also Bannans m.o.. another guy that people are completely discounting, but the bills have kept around is Sape.

i can say with absolute confidence that i trust TD and the coaching staff in this situation.. the guys that are here WILL step up and play well.. we have depth at the position and it will show this year. i personally dont see the need to bring in another DT. Denny and Kelsay have both rotated in at DT in obvious passing situations with Posey at DE..

no worries guys.. no worries! We were not the number 2 defense because of one DT that play half of the games. not to minimize pats contribution.. but we have plenty of talent on defense to stay in the top 5

you can now return to your regularly scheduled *****ing. :D

Excellent point(s). What I remember quite plainly was how Pat Williams started slow each season he played for us and was almost a no show in a lot of early season games. He came on strong later in the season but he also didn't play a lot of downs Like T mentions. At 32 yrs old, he's no young pup anymore either.

I really liked the guy but I think we've ignored the contributions others have made and we will be pleasantly surprised this coming season by their play.

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 07:46 AM
:bravo: