X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Holcomb gives Bills a reliable backup QB

There won't be any parades heralding the arrival of new Buffalo Bills quarterback Kelly Holcomb, but he might turn out to be a very significant signing.

Considering Holcomb's age, past performance, potential and reasonable salary, he probably was the best option among the available backup quarterbacks (most notably incumbent Shane Matthews) for the Bills.
    ..more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

I'd say it's the best combination of ability and price that the Bills could have possibly acquired, bar none. Less than 2 mil per? That's a bargain for a guy that could start a long stretch if he had to.

I'd like to see us come to our senses and stop annointing the guy as bonafide starter material, but for what they paid it's a fantastic signing.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I disagree with the author about turning to Holcomb if JP "struggles." He is an inexperienced, 2nd year guy who undoubtedly will struggle to some extent. But unless he is an absolute disaster with no hope of leading this team to success now or in the future, you have to let him play, and learn, and develop, and gain confidence.

JP is our future. Holcomb is a quality backup. I think the Bills understand that, even if some of us and some in the media don't. Holcomb should see the field only if Losman is injured, or is playing so horribly that there is no other alternative.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        I disagree with the author about turning to Holcomb if JP "struggles." He is an inexperienced, 2nd year guy who undoubtedly will struggle to some extent. But unless he is an absolute disaster with no hope of leading this team to success now or in the future, you have to let him play, and learn, and develop, and gain confidence.

JP is our future. Holcomb is a quality backup. I think the Bills understand that, even if some of us and some in the media don't. Holcomb should see the field only if Losman is injured, or is playing so horribly that there is no other alternative.
        Yep.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I disagree....if JP is better then he should prove it or lose the job...this going with him just because of any hype or future commitment is rediculous because there just aren't that many opportunities to win. If we have a better chance to win now then that's what we opt to do.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

I wouldn't be so adamant if we had a couple of guys who were so close to each other in age, or experience, or accomplishments, that you could simply have them battle it out in camp and say, "Let the best man win."

But here, there are no such similarities. Yes, those of you who say Holcomb is a more polished, game ready QB than JP are probably right. The same could have been said about Drew.

But the Bills have a young, athletic, strong-armed 1st Round draft pick who should be able to do things that we haven't seen since Kelly. They are rightfully going to give him every opportunity to play, and succeed.

If Holcomb plays, it will be because some disaster has befallen JP, not because the Bills want to willingly give the ball to a nice, competent, career backup who will lead us nowhere.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
            X