PDA

View Full Version : TD called Kelly Holcomb on the first day of free agency...

Michael82
03-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Kelly Holcomb was on WGR550 today and he said that Donahoe called him right away on March 2nd and was the first team to call him. The Bills were very interested in signing him and that is a big reason why Holcomb is a Bill. :up:

He also said that he knows he is here to be JP Losman's backup and his mentor and he has no problem with that. His advice to JP is to study the game film heavily, and thinks that JP is starting off perfectly by already being in Buffalo and studying film with Wyche. He said that this is how Manning got better.

He worked with Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey at Tampa Bay and wanted to work with them again, because they are the ones who got his career started.

He also wanted to go to Buffalo and loves the fact that the Bills fans here are so die hard and knows that Buffalo is a football town.

ryven
03-07-2005, 08:47 AM
:posrep:

ryjam282
03-07-2005, 08:48 AM
That is good news....I like Holcombe. I always thought he was a decent player, and will be a great backup for us.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I think that Buffalo's location also played a positive role (for once) in getting him. I read this weekend that his daughter is in school and he's going to commute from his home in Cleveland to RWS while she finishes up.

A nice 2+ hour drive one way a day....but only until June.

clumping platelets
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
:posrep:

Michael82
03-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I think that Buffalo's location also played a positive role (for once) in getting him. I read this weekend that his daughter is in school and he's going to commute from his home in Cleveland to RWS while she finishes up.

A nice 2+ hour drive one way a day....but only until June.
Oh, that's cool. :up:

Ebenezer
03-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Kelly Holcomb was on WGR550 today and he said that Donahoe called him right away on March 2nd and was the first team to call him. The Bills were very interested in signing him and that is a big reason why Holcomb is a Bill. :up:

He also said that he knows he is here to be JP Losman's backup and his mentor and he has no problem with that. His advice to JP is to study the game film heavily, and thinks that JP is starting off perfectly by already being in Buffalo and studying film with Wyche. He said that this is how Manning got better.

He worked with Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey at Tampa Bay and wanted to work with them again, because they are the ones who got his career started.

He also wanted to go to Buffalo and loves the fact that the Bills fans here are so die hard and knows that Buffalo is a football town.
was he a FA from the start or did Cleveland give the heave ho after 3/1??

mightyspaz
03-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Awesome .. I always thought Holcombe should have started over couch ... But, I'm also glad that he understands his place and we willget the chance to develop a young QB with Losman! ... ROCK ON!

The King
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Best Possible scenerio I am very happy with this move.

Michael82
03-07-2005, 09:04 AM
was he a FA from the start or did Cleveland give the heave ho after 3/1??
He was a free agent this year. :up:

Holcomb's agent, Frank Bauer, continued negotiating with the Browns on Tuesday evening, but no deal was struck by midnight, meaning Holcomb became a free agent at 12:01 a.m.
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1109759535127881.xml

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Is he supposed to have his press conference today?

Romes
03-07-2005, 09:18 AM
...and some of us were worried TD wasn't doing anything

good job TD! :up:

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
juice.. is a direct quote from holcombe enough for you to believe that there is no qb controvesy?

or do you think that he is lying? it is all a conspiracy right?

Bulldog
03-07-2005, 11:35 AM
juice.. is a direct quote from holcombe enough for you to believe that there is no qb controvesy?

or do you think that he is lying? it is all a conspiracy right?

You mean just like the one that got all-world guard Ruben Brown tossed out of Buffalo?

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 11:47 AM

He also wanted to go to Buffalo and loves the fact that the Bills fans here are so die hard and knows that Buffalo is a football town.Great news. :up:

Just thinking....a guy comes to the realization that after 8 years (and playing only 24 games) he is pretty much certain he is never going to be a starter for the rest of his career. That has to be very sobering. Still, he's making more coin than I ever will so I don't feel TOO bad for him. :;

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Still, he's making more coin than I ever will so I don't feel TOO bad for him. :;
Speak for yourself! A couple more promotions and I'll only be $1.5m short of his salary! BTW I'm working now. Gotta love city jobs.

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
i am AT work right now.. but i wouldnt go as far as saying i am working :D

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Speak for yourself! A couple more promotions and I'll only be $1.5m short of his salary! BTW I'm working now. Gotta love city jobs.
It's amazing though....think of guys like Ryan Leaf. He got an $11.2M signing bonus before throwing a single NFL pass, gets another $5M the following year and he's out of football in a total of three years. That's about $16M in three years, 655 attempts....so $24K per lousy toss. Unreal. He's set for life for sucking. :sigh: