PDA

View Full Version : Free agent Carter close to contract with 'Fins

Gunzlingr
03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
It appears defensive lineman Kevin Carter will get his wish to play for the Dolphins.

A source said Sunday that Carter remains "very close" to agreeing to contract terms with the Dolphins. Carter would be the second defensive lineman signed by the Dolphins in free agency. The team added free agent Vonnie Holliday on Saturday.

Carter, 31, placed the Dolphins atop his wish list after recently being released by Tennessee in a salary-cap move.

A 1995 first-round draft choice from the University of Florida, Carter is attractive to the Dolphins because he can play defensive end or defensive tackle. Carter has never missed a start while playing for St. Louis (1995-2000) and Tennessee (2001-2004).

MORE (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins07mar07,0,2804284.story?coll=sfla-sports-front)

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Mm.. Alba

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
:heart: Here's to Jessica...

I think Carter is a pretty cool guy. During the preseason last year, he was the only one who would come over and sign the kids footballs and jerseys. The little kids waited a long time calling for McNair and he just turned his nose up to them. After that, I've never liked McNair anymore. But Carter came over several times and signed for these kids. Mason even came over once.

I even, jokingly, told Carter that if he ever wanted to come to Buffalo, we would welcome him. He just looked at me and laughed, but I think he was happy that I said that and that he felt like we appreciated him.

And now we'll have to face him twice a year...doh!

NJFINSFAN1
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Carter Signed to Multi-year Deal... (http://www.finheaven.com/news/1959/)
http://www.finheaven.com/newsimages/kevin-carter.jpg Posted on: 2005-03-07

[ESPN (http://www.finheaven.com/links/outgoing.php?LID=140&URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2007140)] The Dolphins reached a five-year, $30 million agreement with former Tennessee Titans defensive end Kevin Carter. Included in the deal is $8 million of guarantees in signing and option bonuses.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Great signing for Miami. Carter can play pretty much anything but NT in a 3-4 or 4-3 set. That kind of flexibility to go with his pass-rush skills makes him a good fit for what Saban likes to do on defense.

Dicknoze69
03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Great signing for Miami. Carter can play pretty much anything but NT in a 3-4 or 4-3 set. That kind of flexibility to go with his pass-rush skills makes him a good fit for what Saban likes to do on defense.

I agree. I was hoping his love for Tennessee would let them re-sign him cheap, so we could keep him out of the division.

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 02:14 PM
they also added vonnie holiday..

they should have a good defense again.

Jeff1220
03-07-2005, 02:59 PM
they also added vonnie holiday..

they should have a good defense again.

And a crappy offense again.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 03:00 PM
And a crappy offense again.
Can't believe they aren't working on there offensive line.

Jayhawk
03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
yawn, come back to me when they do something smart. Carter will underachieve ag ain

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
This is a terrible signing for Miami. 6 years? 30 million? Come on. The guy had like 6 sacks last year, he is not worth it. Miami has once again overpayed for a washed up player. I'd rather have Chris Kelsay at this point.

Brad528
03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
To bad he is going to get 10 million of those 30 million dollars. Its a good contract worked out for Miami not Carter so in a couple of years we can just cut him. And to say you would rather have Kelsay is just dumb. Carter hasnt had less then 5 1/2 sacks the entire time he was with the Titans plus he hasnt missed a game in like 10 years. Only 3 in his whole career

Crisis
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Miami was bidding against themselves. Overpaid. I can say with 99% certainty if TD was the Dolphins GM Carter would've came cheaper.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
To bad he is going to get 10 million of those 30 million dollars. Its a good contract worked out for Miami not Carter so in a couple of years we can just cut him. And to say you would rather have Kelsay is just dumb. Carter hasnt had less then 5 1/2 sacks the entire time he was with the Titans plus he hasnt missed a game in like 10 years. Only 3 in his whole career
Thats a terrible contract. And I as well would rather have Kelsay as well.

The_Philster
03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
he's not even worth half that
:lolpoint: Fish

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Kelsay has greater upside. Carter is continuously declining.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I can't believe they are spending more money on their D. The offense is completely pathetic. Dumb move IMO.

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I can't believe they are spending more money on their D. The offense is completely pathetic. Dumb move IMO.
Supposedly their solution at QB will be Gus Frerotte. How pathetic is that?

The_Philster
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Ain't it great? :snicker: Best part is they not only are putting all that money into the defense, but they're overspending for mediocre talent. :dance:

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Ain't it great? :snicker: Best part is they not only are putting all that money into the defense, but they're overspending for mediocre talent. :dance:
This is why I don't really hate the Fish anymore. I mean, really...when was the last time they were a serious thorn in our sides? My raging hatred of them has fizzled to a tepid dislike at best.

Now the f***** Pats on the other hand...there are no words to describe my absolute hatred of them. They have embarrassed us, kicked us, tossed us their garbage and laughed while doing it...it's personal now and they need to go down. Hopefully that won't take 5 years to happen.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
You guys crack me up. You think that is a lot of money for a DL of Carter's ability?

He took a discount. The guy is a real good player, a rare guy with real size who can hold up the line and also rush the passer. Top DL make more than what he signed for, and he is an excellent fit for what Miami wants to do because of his versatility. He can play inside in a 4-3 or in sub packages, or he can play DE, particularly power DE in the 3-4. He is going to be their Richard Seymour in Saban's defense.

The Dolphins will use Carter and Holliday at DE, while rotating Bowens and Chester at NT. They will use Jason Taylor at OLB, basically playing their Willie McGinest. They have Thomas at one ILB, while Seau and Eddie Moore probably fill in the other ILB and WSLB slot.

Basically, this signing allows Saban to accelerate implementing his scheme, because now he has some of the pieces in place to work his 3-4. There will be a transition period, because the Belichick/Saban defense is complicated, but in the long run he has the makings of a strong unit.

Forget the total dollars, an $8M SB for a DL the caliber of Carter who also has the position flexibility to make Saban's scheme work? That is chump change. That is a great signing.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 06:43 PM
You guys crack me up. You think that is a lot of money for a DL of Carter's ability?

He took a discount. The guy is a real good player, a rare guy with real size who can hold up the line and also rush the passer. Top DL make more than what he signed for, and he is an excellent fit for what Miami wants to do because of his versatility. He can play inside in a 4-3 or in sub packages, or he can play DE, particularly power DE in the 3-4. He is going to be their Richard Seymour in Saban's defense.

The Dolphins will use Carter and Holliday at DE, while rotating Bowens and Chester at NT. They will use Jason Taylor at OLB, basically playing their Willie McGinest. They have Thomas at one ILB, while Seau and Eddie Moore probably fill in the other ILB and WSLB slot.

Basically, this signing allows Saban to accelerate implementing his scheme, because now he has some of the pieces in place to work his 3-4. There will be a transition period, because the Belichick/Saban defense is complicated, but in the long run he has the makings of a strong unit.

Forget the total dollars, an $8M SB for a DL the caliber of Carter who also has the position flexibility to make Saban's scheme work? That is chump change. That is a great signing.
Of Kevin Carters ability? I completely disagree. Carter has been overrated since he left the Rams. He also is going to be 32 by the start of the 05 season. He is declining. Too much money for him.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 06:45 PM

I'm not talking about Carter's ability. Their D was 8th last year. Hardly in need of player infusion compared to their 29th ranked offense. If they can swing both, then great. I don't know their cap situation but what I do know is that their offense should be Priority 1. Have they signed anyone of value for that side of the ball?

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm not talking about Carter's ability. Their D was 8th last year. Hardly in need of player infusion compared to their 29th ranked offense. If they can swing both, then great. I don't know their cap situation but what I do know is that their offense should be Priority 1. Have they signed anyone of value for that side of the ball?

They have to upgrade their running game, and I think they use the draft for that. I think they go RB with their top pick (#2, I think they take Ronnie Brown). Then they pound the football.

The only real question is the OL. Frerotte is at least servicable (better than that -- you can win with him), and he already knows Linehan's offense. They will have a top young back to build around, and good talent otherwise (Rob Konrad at FB, McMichael at TE, Chambers & Booker at WR).

Keep in mind with the OL, Saban is a disciple of Belichick who believes in bringing in less-talented, but tough, physical guys and coaching them up with the scheme. Miami brought in Hudson Houck to coach the OL. You may remember last year that Houck performed miracles with a San Diego OL that was maybe less talented than what the Dolphins have now.

I realize you hate them, but the Dolphins are having a good offseason. Saban is being very methodical in putting together his team.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 07:04 PM
They have to upgrade their running game, and I think they use the draft for that. I think they go RB with their top pick (#2, I think they take Ronnie Brown). Then they pound the football.

The only real question is the OL. Frerotte is at least servicable (better than that -- you can win with him), and he already knows Linehan's offense. They will have a top young back to build around, and good talent otherwise (Rob Konrad at FB, McMichael at TE, Chambers & Booker at WR).

Keep in mind with the OL, Saban is a disciple of Belichick who believes in bringing in less-talented, but tough, physical guys and coaching them up with the scheme. Miami brought in Hudson Houck to coach the OL. You may remember last year that Houck performed miracles with a San Diego OL that was maybe less talented than what the Dolphins have now.

I realize you hate them, but the Dolphins are having a good offseason. Saban is being very methodical in putting together his team.
I hate the Pats too but I thought they did a good job with the Starks trade. Saban is being methodical but he's also being expensive. To pay that much for a declining older defensive lineman is just crazy in my opinion. I don't like what they have done this offseason but its early yet.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Carter is getting a little bit more what Williams got from the Vikes per year. He's younger and more versatile. And he will be on the field a lot more than the 58% Williams was.

If he improves the #8 defense, then every game the Dolphins will play will be one of those 16-13 games- and if the score is close they will be in every one.

I agree. Saban is off to a good start. The AFC East will be the toughest by far.

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Carter is getting a little bit more what Williams got from the Vikes per year. He's younger and more versatile. And he will be on the field a lot more than the 58% Williams was.

If he improves the #8 defense, then every game the Dolphins will play will be one of those 16-13 games- and if the score is close they will be in every one.

I agree. Saban is off to a good start. The AFC East will be the toughest by far.
Dozer,

I respectfully disagree with you here. Carter is way too inconsistent for what the Fins are paying him. His sack totals the past 2 years have been consistent(5.5 and 6) but other than that, he had 10 in 2002, 2 in 2001, 10.5 in 2000, after having a combined 29 in 1998-1999. You just never know what you are going to get from this guy and I would never have payed him what Miami did. They would have been better served to swoop in and sign someone like Reggie Hayward before Jacksonville did or trade for Trevor Pryce.

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 07:25 PM

I realize you hate them, but the Dolphins are having a good offseason. Saban is being very methodical in putting together his team.I guess we can agree to disagree then. Their OL is horrendous and so it won't matter who the RB is. Frerotte is less than serviceable as a starter IMO. He will be 34, hasn't been a starter since '97, and has only played in 20 games total for 4 different teams in 7 years. Fine as a backup but hardly a guy I'd want starting on my team. Given the OL and QB situation, I think it nullifies the WRs, although McMichael will probably have a good year as a dump off target.

If Saban's goal is to build the team from the defense up, that's fine and is a good strategy. But given the D was already solid, and given the ages of the guys he just signed, and given the condition of the offense, it will be awhile before they are serious contenders IMO. The D will keep them in games but without a real offense, ultimately they will fall short.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
His sack totals the past 2 years have been consistent(5.5 and 6) but other than that, he had 10 in 2002, 2 in 2001, 10.5 in 2000, after having a combined 29 in 1998-1999. You just never know what you are going to get from this guy and I would never have payed him what Miami did. They would have been better served to swoop in and sign someone like Reggie Hayward before Jacksonville did or trade for Trevor Pryce.

Pryce is coming off injury, and there is no saying he will be the same player.

Sacks aren't always a great judge of defensive lineman. They vary by scheme. Carter has been playing DT for Tennessee in a defense designed to have their outside guys create pressure (like Jevon Kearse). As an 3-4 end or inside rusher in nickel situations, Carter has pass rush skills (as witnessed by his 80 career sacks). It is rare to find a guy his size who is as athletic and can rush the passer. It makes him very versatile. And $8M is not a huge SB for a DL of his pedigree.

That is the key, that he can move around. Saban's defense, like Belichick's, plays multiple fronts and uses a lot of disguise. Carter is a key compenent to allow him to do that, like Richard Seymour is for the Patriots. Further, having a guy as athletic as Taylor, who can put his hand on the ground and play like an end, or stand up and look like a LB, is valuable.

It will take some time for Miami to get adjusted to Saban's program, but he is bringing in the pieces to play his style of defense. I give him a lot of credit for carrying out that plan.

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 10:04 PM

Sacks aren't always a great judge of defensive lineman. They vary by scheme. Carter has been playing DT for Tennessee in a defense designed to have their outside guys create pressure (like Jevon Kearse). As an 3-4 end or inside rusher in nickel situations, Carter has pass rush skills (as witnessed by his 80 career sacks). It is rare to find a guy his size who is as athletic and can rush the passer. It makes him very versatile. And $8M is not a huge SB for a DL of his pedigree.

That is the key, that he can move around. Saban's defense, like Belichick's, plays multiple fronts and uses a lot of disguise. Carter is a key compenent to allow him to do that, like Richard Seymour is for the Patriots. Further, having a guy as athletic as Taylor, who can put his hand on the ground and play like an end, or stand up and look like a LB, is valuable.

It will take some time for Miami to get adjusted to Saban's program, but he is bringing in the pieces to play his style of defense. I give him a lot of credit for carrying out that plan.
Their offensive line is still the worst in the league and they have no quarterback or running back, although the RB position will be handled soon enough.

Samphin1
03-08-2005, 12:42 AM
NE39 and Dozer seem to understand. You cannot loko at just sack stats and judge if this signing. Both Holliday and Carter are the ideal size to run a 3-4 defense with them on the ends. Carter also has experience on the inside and can rotate with Tim Bowens, Larry Chester and Jeff Zgonina 9 if he is still on the team ).

Secondarily, you people act like he is going to see that whole contract. Realistically, he sees three of those five years and about 16 mil of the 30. That makes the signing even better.

Saban is putting together a group of uys that allow him to go back and forth and switch up the schemes. As NE39 said, their will be a period of adjustment, but it should be worth it once all the kinks are worked out.

Also, the reson for not addressing the O-line is because we have already taken care of the weakest link- the coach. Hudson Houck is in an elite class, ala McNally and a few others. The fact that we have the same guys but with a new coach, should make a world of difference. Plus, if you break down the tape last year, this line got better towards the end, not great, or even good, but consistantly better. On top of that, no one was out there worth getting for the O-line. Jennings signed on like the first day with San Fran for a boatload of money and no real great centers were out there. C and LT are our biggest weaknesses and neither one could be addressed in the FA Period. We will not go after any LT's in this draft either ( written into McIntosh's deal ). That is ok though because we are looking at a rebuilding mode that will take us to the next draft where some flat out great prospects will be available ( D"Brickshaw Ferguson for one ).

The RB situation will be taken care of in the draft and we are ok at the WR and TE spots. Frerotte will be brought in to backup Feeley or flat out start if Feeley falters ( which I don't think he will do ), and Rosenfels is still around. I see us drafting a RB, S, and possibly a speedster WR on the first day of the draft ( barring a trade of course ).

I like what Saban has done so far. He has been honest in his dealings and gotten most people he has trageted, be it coaching or players.

Also, for the poster who asked when was the last time Miami was a thorn in your side? Gee, I guess us sweeping you two years ago didn't heppen...

Mr. Cynical
03-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Also, for the poster who asked when was the last time Miami was a thorn in your side? Gee, I guess us sweeping you two years ago didn't heppen...happen

And when you go 6-10, alot of teams beat you. Miami didn't ruin our chances of making the playoffs, nor did Miami make the playoffs that year. You become a thorn when you continually prevent another team from making the playoffs and/or beat that team in the playoffs year after year.

We were a thorn in your side by knocking you out of the playoffs in 90, 92 (AFC Champ game...that had to hurt) and 95, as well as beating you alot in the reg season in those years to get homefield. And obviously you were a supreme thorn in our side in the 70s by beating us the entire decade. That was brutal.

But for me the slate is clean now. Those were different eras. Neither team has caused each other much damage in the past 5-6 years, given that neither team has made the playoffs in the last 3 years. The Pats on the other hand need to get their collective asses kicked in for winning 3 SBs in 4 years. Time for a change. :chuk:

Samphin1
03-08-2005, 01:07 AM
happen

And when you go 6-10, alot of teams beat you. Miami didn't ruin our chances of making the playoffs, nor did Miami make the playoffs that year. You become a thorn when you continually prevent another team from making the playoffs and/or beat that team in the playoffs year after year.

We were a thorn in your side by knocking you out of the playoffs in 90, 92 (AFC Champ game...that had to hurt) and 95, as well as beating you alot in the reg season in those years to get homefield. And obviously you were a supreme thorn in our side in the 70s by beating us the entire decade. That was brutal.

But for me the slate is clean now. Those were different eras. Neither team has caused each other much damage in the past 5-6 years, given that neither team has made the playoffs in the last 3 years. The Pats on the other hand need to get their collective asses kicked in for winning 3 SBs in 4 years. Time for a change. :chuk:

Spelling police are out... I would agree though that both teams have stunk it up in recent years. Of course, we have actually had more recent success over the past eight years ( meaning playoff appearances ) but I would agree with your overall premise that we haven't been Yankees-Red Sox type battles any time recently.

Ickybaluky
03-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Frerotte will be brought in to backup Feeley or flat out start if Feeley falters ( which I don't think he will do ), and Rosenfels is still around.

This is where we disagree. I don't think much of Feeley. The guy is too streaky. You need consistent play from the QB position, you can't have up-n-down play there. Feeley strings together good plays at times, but he mixes in too many bad ones. He did it in Philadelphia as well. I think the guy isn't that good.

However, I think Frerotte will be OK. He already knows the offense, and he knows what to do. His completion percentage isnt' great, but he can be a caretaker.

NJFINSFAN1
03-08-2005, 09:05 AM

Yes, Carter has played DT the last two years and still gets over 5 sacks. This is a good signing.

Our defense may have been rated 8th, but always got tired in the 4th (being small) and lost a ton of games in the last quarter. This beefs up the Defense against the run and makes the Fins bigger.

I also agree with a lot of the other quotes about the offense.

1. The O-line was horrible, but Houck is a mastermind and must know something or I would hope they would have addressed it. Remember, he has McIntosh in San Diego two years ago were he was a very good player.

2. Feeley, yes he scares the life out of me, but again, that was a horrible offense that Wanny ran, no hot reads, no crossing paterns etc..
linehan offense will be much better. Feeley, again I'm not sure of!

3. RB, yes we need a back, it all depends what we do with the second pick, if we keep it we should draft Brown, if we trade down, look for the Fins to take Merriman (DE/LB) with the 1st pick and someone like JJ Arrington in the 3rd.

So far this off season I can't complain.

askabry
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
You guys crack me up. You think that is a lot of money for a DL of Carter's ability?.

This - combined with signing Vonnie Holiday - make up some of the worst signings in the NFL.

First off ... never ... and I mean never ... give that kind of coin to a player on the wrong side of 31. Worst yet, the Fins are signing more defensive ends ... what ... so they can take the best down lineman in the NFL and ask him to adapt to a new scheme?

On top of it, you are committing two large contracts to players whose productivity is falling and oh by the way ... you haven't seriously addressed the running back situation or the offensive line ... all the while changing what you are doing at what is arguably one of your strengths.

The Phin front office is so lost it's ridiculous. But hey ... let 'em trade Surtain and eventually Madison while they are making Jason Friggin Taylor an OLB. Good. Great. We appreciate all the help they can send up this way.

Samphin1
03-08-2005, 10:27 AM
This is where we disagree. I don't think much of Feeley. The guy is too streaky. You need consistent play from the QB position, you can't have up-n-down play there. Feeley strings together good plays at times, but he mixes in too many bad ones. He did it in Philadelphia as well. I think the guy isn't that good.

However, I think Frerotte will be OK. He already knows the offense, and he knows what to do. His completion percentage isnt' great, but he can be a caretaker.

I think a lot of it was scheme. Feeley and Wannstedt never got along. Wannstedt never wanted Feeley, he was pro Fiedler forever. The word on Feeley is that he has a strong arm and with Linehan's offense calling for a lot of deep balls, this should fit him. Also, a lot of his INT's were tips that should have been caught by the receivers or recievers running the wrong routes ( they admitted as much as well ).

I agree that he wasn't the best last year, but once he adjusted towards the end, he did ok. In fact, under Jim Bates, Feeley was 3-3 as a starter ( he didn't play in the last game ). The o-line letting everyone walk through also didn't help him.

I am inclined to give ihm another year to prove himself.