PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't we signed Marcus Pollard yet?

Mr. Miyagi
03-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Why aren't we scheduling a visit with Marcus Pollard already? And more surprisingly, he's still out there and no one has signed him yet.

Get this done, TD.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Why aren't we scheduling a visit with Marcus Pollard already? And more surprisingly, he's still out there and no one has signed him yet.

Get this done, TD.
I don't think TE is a huge need and chances are he is going to want some good money to leave Indy. He'll probably end up back there.

He's not the weapon he once was. You always gotta be careful with the players on explosive offenses.

Willis!
03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Do you think they're happy with Campbell and/or Euhus?

Anyone know the status of their recoveries?

Iehoshua
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Do you think they're happy with Campbell and/or Euhus?

Anyone know the status of their recoveries?
Good question... Regardless, I wouldn't mind adding Pollard.

gimpy
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Get this done, TD.
because he can't block Estelle Getty... :jk:

I like Pollard but I'd rather pick Matt Jones(he's got Antonio Gates written all over him) in rnd. 2 and sign someone like Mili or F. Jones as insurance.

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
because he can't block Estelle Getty... :jk:

I like Pollard but I'd rather pick Matt Jones(he's got Antonio Gates written all over him) in rnd. 2 and sign someone like Mili or F. Jones as insurance.
In round 2??? You want us to take a TE with Rd 2??? That's almost as bad as taking Nugent. :D Even if we were to sign DeMulling...we should still draft an O-lineman. O-lineman is our #1 concern (preferably a Center). After that, maybe a DT or CB for depth and from their on...just best available. TEs are slim pickings, so either we sign a FA for security if we're not sure about Campbell and Euhus, or we leave it and maybe sign/draft a backup FB that can also catch late in the draft.

gimpy
03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
In round 2??? You want us to take a TE with Rd 2??? That's almost as bad as taking Nugent. :D Even if we were to sign DeMulling...we should still draft an O-lineman. O-lineman is our #1 concern (preferably a Center). After that, maybe a DT or CB for depth and from their on...just best available. TEs are slim pickings, so either we sign a FA for security if we're not sure about Campbell and Euhus, or we leave it and maybe sign/draft a backup FB that can also catch late in the draft.
I know.. I know.. you are right.. Teague only has 1 yr left and drafting a C would be the smart thing to do... but can you imagine have a TE that can run a 4.4 40???

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I know.. I know.. you are right.. Teague only has 1 yr left and drafting a C would be the smart thing to do... but can you imagine have a TE that can run a 4.4 40???
I think he's going to end up being a WR.

BuffaloRanger
03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
27 yard kick with the playoffs on the line.

"Roll out that very valuable backup DT we drafted on day 1. He'll make it." :dance:

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:35 AM

"Roll out that very valuable backup DT we drafted on day 1. He'll make it." :dance:
A 3rd round pick who didn't make a big kick? Vinateiri, an undrafted free agent, makes big kicks his living.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 11:37 AM

He will probably have the same success Nick Kaeding did in the playoffs....

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I can imagine that about the same as a 330 lb behemoth with decent speed for his size and soft hands...what's a LB or S going to do to stop him? It would take a few of them to bring him down!

Jan Reimers
03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Pollard not only can't block, but will be 33 when the season starts and his skills are declining. Let's grab a draft pick, e.g., Dreessen, or a free agent with an upside.

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Pollard not only can't block, but will be 33 when the season starts and his skills are declining. Let's grab a draft pick, e.g., Dreessen, or a free agent with an upside.
There are no good draft picks for TE this year except the #1 position and he will be taken long before we are ready to take a TE. The reason I said Pollard was we don't want a long term person here. We have Campbell and Euhus who will be long term. Pollard is just insurance for this year until they recover. We still have Neufield to block and Pollard can be used when we are going for pass (like 3rd and long).

The whole pt is to have a cheap alternative 1 yr deal type of TE. I'd much rather Jermaine Wiggins, but once Campbell and Euhus recover, do we really want 3 capable of starting TEs complaining about wanting a bigger piece of the pie? I'm not sure how much JW would cost, but we spent a 4th rd pick on Euhus, and he will probably become our main TE in the next year or two.

Of course, if our O-line becomes set, I would rather use Jason Peters here, but MM doesn't seem keen on using him there...

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 01:16 PM
He will probably have the same success Nick Kaeding did in the playoffs....

:roflmao:

Jan Reimers
03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
There are no good draft picks for TE this year except the #1 position and he will be taken long before we are ready to take a TE. The reason I said Pollard was we don't want a long term person here. We have Campbell and Euhus who will be long term. Pollard is just insurance for this year until they recover. We still have Neufield to block and Pollard can be used when we are going for pass (like 3rd and long).

The whole pt is to have a cheap alternative 1 yr deal type of TE. I'd much rather Jermaine Wiggins, but once Campbell and Euhus recover, do we really want 3 capable of starting TEs complaining about wanting a bigger piece of the pie? I'm not sure how much JW would cost, but we spent a 4th rd pick on Euhus, and he will probably become our main TE in the next year or two.

Of course, if our O-line becomes set, I would rather use Jason Peters here, but MM doesn't seem keen on using him there...
Mili, Hape, Becht, Cleeland and a few others are available if all you want is a stop gap. BTW, I think that Neufeld has not been re-signed.

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Get this done, TD.

Because he is old(33), and a horrible blocker.

Bill Brasky
03-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't think TE is a huge need

Are you ****ing joking? :huh:

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
per espn radio..

he signed with the lions.. 3 years, 6 million. 2.6 SB..

no link..

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 04:28 PM
per espn radio..

he signed with the lions.. 3 years, 6 million. 2.6 SB..

no link..
That's a pretty inexpensive price for such a good tight end. However, I'd certainly rather use the money on someone like Ty Law. Donahoe must have a trick up his sleeve otherwise he would have looked at this guy and possibly outbid Detroit. This could be great news for us since the Lions spent some money on Pollard, maybe they'll back off of Demulling and we can sign him. He would legitimize our line along with possibly getting Shelton.

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
i think it is high for a 33 year old te that cant block.

Jersey1031
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Mili, Hape, Becht, Cleeland and a few others are available if all you want is a stop gap. BTW, I think that Neufeld has not been re-signed.

isnt bubba franks still available...!

Carlton Bailey
03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
isnt bubba franks still available...!
Green Bay put the transition tag on him a couple of weeks ago. If we want him, we have to pay him the average of the top 10 tight ends in the NFL. I'm not sure how much that would be but I doubt it could be that high.

buffalo66
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I think we need to draft one. Matt Jones has too much physical upside to be ignored. I don't think his worth is realized since he played QB in college. At 6-6, 237 lbs with a 4.40 40 yard dash!! He would be a serious deep threat. Perhaps we can get him in round 3 since he's pretty misfit for the NFL.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I think we need to draft one. Matt Jones has too much physical upside to be ignored. I don't think his worth is realized since he played QB in college. At 6-6, 237 lbs with a 4.40 40 yard dash!! He would be a serious deep threat. Perhaps we can get him in round 3 since he's pretty misfit for the NFL.
I think he's going to end up at WR in the end. I think the LBs are just going to bump him at the line and he won't be able to get out. Also he probably can't block too well. I think he is fast enough to be a WR and could outjump, outrun and out muscle alot of CBs.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Jay Riemersma was a college QB at Michigan- and became a TE when he lost out to Todd Collins

Mr. Cynical
03-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Jay Riemersma was a college QB at Michigan- and became a TE when he lost out to Todd Collins
That's gotta hurt losing ANYTHING to Collins. :doh:

What a waste.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
I just found out the answer: He got $6 Million for 3 years. A bit out of our price range for a 33 year old, non-blocking stop gap.

Spiderweb
03-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Euhus, I read elsewhere. tore up the same knee for a second time now. Can anyobe verify this? If so, he may never be an answer. Did like his receiving ability though. From his brief appearances last year, he looked promising.