PDA

View Full Version : Big Blue good bet on Burress

Gunzlingr
03-07-2005, 10:34 AM
The Giants had three big goals when the free-agent market opened and they quickly reached two of them. Now they may be poised to reach the third.
Plaxico Burress, the big-play receiver the Giants covet and the best wideout left on the market, will visit the Giants this afternoon, according to his agent. He also could be ready to quickly sign a contract, since the market for the talented 27-year-old appears to have dried up.

That has been one of the most surprising developments of the first week of free agency. The 6-5, 226-pound Burress expected to be one of the most sought-after free agent receivers. But his options became limited when the Bears signed Muhsin Muhammad, the Ravens signed Derrick Mason, the Bengals re-signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh and the Raiders re-signed Jerry Porter and traded for Randy Moss.

That left the Vikings and Giants as Burress' most likely suitors. But sources said the Vikings were never interested, and reports out of Minnesota yesterday indicated they're trying to acquire Rod Gardner from the Redskins instead.

more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/287494p-246154c.html)

Michael82
03-07-2005, 11:06 AM
From Randy Moss to Rod Gardner? Man, that's a big downgrade. I feel bad for Culpepper. He needs a deep threat weapon badly. I'm shocked that the Vikings aren't going to use their cap space to lock up Plaxico Burress or at least try to sign one of the top WRs that was available earlier.

mysticsoto
03-07-2005, 11:13 AM
From Randy Moss to Rod Gardner? Man, that's a big downgrade. I feel bad for Culpepper. He needs a deep threat weapon badly. I'm shocked that the Vikings aren't going to use their cap space to lock up Plaxico Burress or at least try to sign one of the top WRs that was available earlier.
They appear to be in love with Mike Williams from the draft.

I agree though...in the very least, they should be using that extra cap space to sign impact defense players and after Pat Williams, they don't seem to be doing anything else...pending physicals, I'd be looking at Ty Law if I were them also or maybe even doing the trade with Miami for a package with Surtain and JT for their 2nd 1st rd pick...

Michael82
03-07-2005, 11:14 AM
They appear to be in love with Mike Williams from the draft.

I agree though...in the very least, they should be using that extra cap space to sign impact defense players and after Pat Williams, they don't seem to be doing anything else...pending physicals, I'd be looking at Ty Law if I were them also or maybe even doing the trade with Miami for a package with Surtain and JT for their 2nd 1st rd pick...
I guess McCombs is still cheaping out on the team. :shakeno: