PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who will start at left tackle?

TigerJ
03-08-2005, 07:43 AM
This is an area I'm concerned about. It may not be quite as critical with Drew Bledsoe no longer on the team, but left tackle is still the most important position on the line. So what do you think will happen? I probably should have included the option of another player already on the roster: Dylan McFarland? Jason Peters? David Pruce? Lawrence Smith?

ryven
03-08-2005, 07:53 AM
still have hope that we can get shelton.

EDS
03-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I think either the Shelton trade goes through or it will be a draft pick.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-08-2005, 08:12 AM
I think it will either be Shelton or Marcus Price. Shelton would of course be the #1 option.

kgun12
03-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I'll let you know after Free agency.

Dozerdog
03-08-2005, 08:18 AM
If we started the sesason as is-

Gandy (if healthy), Teague (Tucker at Center)- also see what McFarland has

Otherwise- See what can be done to get Shelton- or Try to get McDougal or Floyd Womack

If not- Draftpick- (Adam Terry Syracuse)

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
It will in all likelihood be a veteran Free Agent, e.g., Shelton. If we fail to land a Free Agent, our starting LT may have to come from the draft - Terry, for instance, if he's still available.

The closest to a LT we have on the current roster is Big Mike, and he is probably better suited to RT; plus, moving him would give us new guys at both positions. The others on the existing rosters are either not ready, decent backups, or better guards.

dannyek71
03-08-2005, 08:40 AM
teague to LT, tucker to center

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 08:45 AM
At his size, I just don't see Teague protecting JP's blind side. I'd rather have a monster there.

TedMock
03-08-2005, 08:47 AM

That's my feeling as well. Of course, I still hope they try to keep the Shelton deal alive.

Romes
03-08-2005, 08:47 AM
If we started the sesason as is-

Gandy (if healthy), Teague (Tucker at Center)- also see what McFarland has

Otherwise- See what can be done to get Shelton- or Try to get McDougal or Floyd Womack

If not- Draftpick- (Adam Terry Syracuse)

Exactly, if we start the season tomorrow, it'll be Gandy. But we 4 months from training camp so the poll is a little premature.

TedMock
03-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Don't forget that Teague was brought in here to play left tackle. He didn't lose his job there. It was pure chance that Jonas Jennings struggled at center and that forced us to re-shuffle the line. I'm sure Teague is very pleased that Jonas went and got himself a $12MM paycheck! I'd still rather keep him there and bring in Shelton, but I would bet that if the Shelton deal doesn't go through, Ross Tucker is put at center and Teague moves to tackle.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 09:29 AM
I think all the speculation about Teague to LT, or to LG with Gandy at LT, and Tucker at C ignores two very basic points.

1.) The Bills in general, and McNally in particular, seem to love Teague at center, and consider him a strength there. I think it would be foolish to move him to LT or LG, which would then necessitate another change - at C.

2.) Our O line, because of the continuity of guys playing together at set positions, was getting pretty good toward the end of last season. Four starters are back, and if a LG comes in to replace Tucker, fine. But if that doesn't happen, why move Tucker and Teague? We will in all probability have a new LT. Why then have 3 guys in new positions?

In other words, leave Teague and the right side of the line alone, leave Tucker at LG unless we sign someone better, and bring in a new LT unless we have to live with Gandy. We weren't that bad last year. For the sake of continuity, let's make as few changes as possible.

mysticsoto
03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I think all the speculation about Teague to LT, or to LG with Gandy at LT, and Tucker at C ignores two very basic points.

1.) The Bills in general, and McNally in particular, seem to love Teague at center, and consider him a strength there. I think it would be foolish to move him to LT or LG, which would then necessitate another change - at C.

2.) Our O line, because of the continuity of guys playing together at set positions, was getting pretty good toward the end of last season. Four starters are back, and if a LG comes in to replace Tucker, fine. But if that doesn't happen, why move Tucker and Teague? We will in all probability have a new LT. Why then have 3 guys in new positions?

In other words, leave Teague and the right side of the line alone, leave Tucker at LG unless we sign someone better, and bring in a new LT unless we have to live with Gandy. We weren't that bad last year. For the sake of continuity, let's make as few changes as possible. I think the whole point of TD bringing in people who have played multiple positions is to choose where they would be best suited. If Teague happens to be best suited to LT right now, then so be it. If we draft a Center, then we have them take over the spot, etc. We need a power lineup if we are going to be a real smash mouth football team. With Teague at C, we never will be b'cse he doesn't have the strength level to over power a DT. Ross Tucker does, but he is apparently to slow for McNally's liking. So either DeMulling is able to come in (if we get him) and handle that, or we draft a Center who can handle it. TT played at LT before so it's not like the position is new to him - and for most, none of the positions will be new, as they have experience playing in multiple areas.

Given the money we are paying PW, they may also choose to move him to LT to develop him for that position from here on...there's alot of choices and McNally will no doubt be the driving force in deciding who goes where.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing as long as they all get to camp on-time and without distractions to give them time to gel. Last year's horrendous start of the line had alot to do with MW coming in 40 lbs overweight, for his absenteism, and for overall injuries. Just b'cse people get moved around doesn't mean this scenario will repeat itself.

McNally should be offering MW a free membership to weight watchers to ensure there are no problems...although no doubt TD is driving him there every day! :D

Michael82
03-08-2005, 09:44 AM
LJ Shelton

G. Host
03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Agree with that with Smith and Gandy competing for guard.

TigerJ
03-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Right now, my money is on Teague. I'm hoping though that Buffalo gets Shelton somehow. I think Buffalo does draft a left tackle who likely won't start this year.

Jayhawk
03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
how about Mikey82?

Michael82
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
how about Mikey82?
Sounds good to me. :$: