PDA

View Full Version : Pats won't have an OC in 2005

Philagape
03-08-2005, 11:25 AM
The Patriots sent out a press release yesterday announcing a change to their coaching staff. The notice was noteworthy not for the words it contained - Pete Mangurian is the new tight ends coach - but for the two that it didn't:
Offensive coordinator.
In listing their final 2005 coaching roster, that position was conspicuously absent from the release. A team spokesman said last night that barring any unforeseen circumstances, that was the way the Patriots will go into the 2005 season.

Boston Herald (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=72160)

Iehoshua
03-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Honestly I don't know they even needed one last year.

Kelly didn't need one and I don't think Brady does either...

Michael82
03-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Hopefully this will help bring this team back to reality. I still believe that losing Weiss is going to be a HUGE blow for Brady and the offense.

Mr. Miyagi
03-08-2005, 11:56 AM
It'll be OC by committee. Can't remember who but I've read that one guy will be passing game coordinator and the other guy will be running game coordinator.

chevyjayce
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
I heard on WEEI out of Boston that Big Bill will be calling alot of the plays along with a few others. I think that this is doom for the PATS. Bill is a defensive guy and may do well in that area, but having three or four people all calling the offensive plays is not a good mix!! couple that with the loss of talent that the PATs have had, I would be suprised if they break .500 in 05.

Dicknoze69
03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Hopefully this will help bring this team back to reality. I still believe that losing Weiss is going to be a HUGE blow for Brady and the offense.

I think losing Weis will really hurt them since Brady and him were so close, but Belichick knows quite a bit about offense also, and he will make a fine Offensive Coordinator.

But calling the offensive plays and being more involved in the O will cut into the time he will spend with the defense, which may hurt them since Romeo is gone. I realize Mangini is highly regarded throughout the NFL, but he is still a first-time DC and may experience some growing pains.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I heard on WEEI out of Boston that Big Bill will be calling alot of the plays along with a few others. I think that this is doom for the PATS. Bill is a defensive guy and may do well in that area, but having three or four people all calling the offensive plays is not a good mix!! couple that with the loss of talent that the PATs have had, I would be suprised if they break .500 in 05.

The Pats are making it very tough on themselves for the upcoming year. I expect to see a big downturn this year. I still think Bellichek is a good coach, but not spectacular. I think Weiss is/was the keystone to those championships. When the season starts out rough, it will be interesting to see how this team that is so used to winning reacts to it. It will not be an easy obstacle to overcome.

Dicknoze69
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
couple that with the loss of talent that the PATs have had, I would be suprised if they break .500 in 05.

Man, I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but have you seen them win 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls ???

kwharter
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
All right now i can have that party that I was going to have after witnessing the downfall of the Patriots. Whoopee I am so excited. Look I am just sick and tired of hearing about the stupid Patriots. Look if you want to complain about them complain about them on the Patriots website, not on the Bills website. It is called Billszone.com not Patriotszone.com. I will be happy to see them go 1 and 15 and Belicheck is gone and Brady ends up being a wash out as a QB. And I do not want to hear anymore :cry: crying from the stupid Patriots fans.

chevyjayce
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Man, I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but have you seen them win 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls ???

I have watched them win 3 of the last 4 and I seen them deem themselves the team of the decade only 4 years into a decade. That is in the past and while you have to take the past into account you also have to look at the now. I will be surprised, and with a lot of good reasons, if they make it to .500. Good for us, because I still don’t think the jets can take the division which leaves us in pretty good shape as long as JP performs. So quit living in the past and look at today. Bottom line is the Pats are spreading themselves to thin in the coaching department, and without Weis and no new OC, it’s over for them. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<!-- / message -->

Dicknoze69
03-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I am looking at the now. They haven't suffered any personnel losses that anyone would deem significant. They are essentially the same team they were last year.

Sure, they've lost some coache. But I think Belichick has proven over the years he has an idea what he's doing. He knows a lot about football, not just defensive football. He surrounds himself with quality and talented people. They may suffer a drop-off because of the loss of these coaches, but for them to finish under .500, Brady would have to go down for a significant stretch and complacency would have to set in.

bledslow
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM

I have watched them win 3 of the last 4 and I seen them deem themselves the team of the decade only 4 years into a decade. That is in the past and while you have to take the past into account you also have to look at the now. I will be surprised, and with a lot of good reasons, if they make it to .500. Good for us, because I still don’t think the jets can take the division which leaves us in pretty good shape as long as JP performs. So quit living in the past and look at today. Bottom line is the Pats are spreading themselves to thin in the coaching department, and without Weis and no new OC, it’s over for them. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<!-- / message -->

wow! incredible. the playbook will be the same and im sure they will have a very capable person calling the plays.as it was this past year,brady called a ton of audibles and the play he called usually had high success.tom knows game situations and what play to call at what time. the O wont miss a beat.

OpIv37
03-08-2005, 01:40 PM
They're still the same team with the same playbook- it won't hurt them for a long time.

couple that with the loss of talent that the PATs have had, I would be suprised if they break .500 in 05.
What loss of talent? Troy Brown is useless when their DB's are healthy- their only significant loss is Bruschi, and I don't even think that's confirmed yet.

The Pats are making it very tough on themselves for the upcoming year. I expect to see a big downturn this year. .
Not gonna happen- Bellichek's too smart.

I will be happy to see them go 1 and 15 and Belicheck is gone and Brady ends up being a wash out as a QB. And I do not want to hear anymore :cry: crying from the stupid Patriots fans.
Kraft will never let him get away.

You guys are all being too optimistic. As a Bills fan, I'm dying to see the Pats fall on their asses. But it just aint gonna happen. This team will still be very competitive and I expect them to edge the Jets out for the division title.

Tatonka
03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
brady could call the plays if they wanted him too.

DynaPaul
03-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Yeah, Bill "Rainman" Belichick did a REAL good job of calling the plays in Cleveland.