PDA

View Full Version : Jason Peters as OT

ghz in pittsburgh
03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Knowing Mularkey, I think it is not far fetched that he'll try the idea. In fact they did list him as a OT last year until both our TEs were hurt. Being annointed as a starter at OT for 2005? I'm not sure.

Think about it. They could have started a revolution in NFL offense. The tackles are supposed to be on an island ... to block on pass plays. If he's not good enough to engaging the opposing DE long enough, well, maybe he can catch the ball and run with it.

And JPL just may have enough scrambling ability to buy a second or two to have enough separation between that DE and the tackle.

So now the DEs must be able to rush QBs and cover OTs.

From the limited action of Peters at TE that I saw, he can run but he does not appear to be able to 1) get away from the coverage linebackers from the scrimmage very well, and 2) create separation from linebackers. From pass catching viewpoint, this is fatal to an TE. But now we are putting him in a position to 1) not trying to get free from the scrimmage from opposing players but rather the opposing DE trying to get away from him from the scrimmage and 2) get separation from a DE, not LB. Definitely a more favorable - should I use this over-hyped word in sports - "mismatch" for him.

No revolution starts over night. No huddle, zone blitz, cover 2, none took hold in one off-season. If Mularkey is going to run with this idea, I can see them experiment this more and more during the season. Does that mean they don't want spend big bucks on a top shelf LT in the off season? Could be.

For this idea to fly, Peters must be able to run block for his normal run plays and have sure hands on passing downs. The ball travels a short distance and may come hard as the QB is on the run and try to hit the right spot. More importantly, the ball may be thrown behind the LOS in a live ball situation. I don't know if they would consider it worth the risk.

EDS
03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Can you say "ineligible man down field" and "ineligible receiver"?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-08-2005, 02:33 PM
As long as he's declared Tackle eligible for the plays ...

Tatonka
03-08-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah.. i was wondering the same thing as i was reading that..

an OT cant catch a pass..

Tatonka
03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
so they would declare tackle eligible on all plays?

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Dude Peters will probably start at LT, Be our backup qb, our 3rd Wr and our Punt returner.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Peters may have the ability to play LT, but he is raw and apparently has a problem grasping offensive schemes. He is a project and - while I'd like to believe he is the answer at LT - I don't think it will happen this season.

djjimkelly
03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
my god takle eligible on a play is where o line is as normal. but u add a 6th lineman to the line(it could be a LB, DT and so on).

the reason the player must declare eligible is based on his number not where he lines up!

did u guys play football i dont want to be a jerk but damn this crap goes on from pop warner to the pros!

when sapp goes in for bucs a few years back he had to declare to the ref MY NUMBER ISNT A RB TE OR WR # IM eligible! they only call it tackle eligible becuz the guy will lineup between the TE and TACKLE ON either side

Sportsuser101
03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
I remember Peters getting a penalty on that late in the year last year.

Bill Brasky
03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Knowing Mularkey, I think it is not far fetched that he'll try the idea.

So you know him on a personal basis?

Jan Reimers
03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Bottom Line: Do we really expect an undrafted free agent, one year out of college where he played TE, with a Wonderlic of 9 and some major problems understanding the playbook, to be our key O lineman next year?

If your answer is yes, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona. . .

jamze132
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Bottom Line: Do we really expect an undrafted free agent, one year out of college where he played TE, with a Wonderlic of 9 and some major problems understanding the playbook, to be our key O lineman next year?

If your answer is yes, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona. . .
Yep! After a lot of deliberation it has finally come down to a coin toss between Peters, Bannan, and Lindel as to who get the starting nod at LT in the season to come. I can't belive you haven't heard this stuff! It's all over the walls of the bathrooms.