• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Quebecer
    • Jan 2003

Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack...

Another option @ OG?

"Pork Shop"

• Seahawks OL Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack has free-agent visits scheduled for Buffalo today and Green Bay tomorrow. The Seahawks are still very involved in negotiations with Womack.
    Later,
    Pat
    "Thinking is the hardest thing there is, that's why so few engage in it!"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space.
    In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
    In those choices lie our growth and our hapiness."

"If you don't take care of your health now, you will undoubtly have to deal with your illness later!"
  • TedMock
    • Jul 2002

There's a possibility. He's the primary backup at both tackle spots in Seattle, and at right guard, so who knows? He's not the primary starter, but let's face the facts here. Chris Terry and Walter Jones are stud offensive tackles. Womack is also over 330 pounds and only 27 years old. I don't know much about him as a pro, but I remember him being very good at Mississippi State. Anybody know anything about his professional progress?

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

No, he'd be coming in for OT. He sounds like an interesting choice if we can't get Shelton. Maybe McNally would be able to fix him like he fixed Big Mike?

Height: 6-4
      Weight: 333
      Born: Nov. 15, 1978
      Cleveland, MS
      Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade 70
      Insider Analysis Womack is massive, he engulfs undersized defenders at the point of attack and he can wear defenders down over the course of the game. He drives through his blocks and he has the lower body strength to push the pile in the running game. As a pass blocker, he gets adequate knee bend and he rarely gives ground to bull rushers. He has experience playing tackle as well as guard and he shows good versatility. However, Womack lacks ideal athletic ability and he is a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. He lacks ideal initial quickness and explosive one-gap defenders will have some success shooting the inside gap working against him. While he has some experience playing tackle teams shouldnt feel comfortable consistently leaving him on an island in pass protection when he is lined up there. As a run blocker, Womack doesnt have the lateral ability to adjust to the moving target in space and he wont always reach his assignments at the second level. Overall, Womack is marginal starter at tackle and he needs to continue to work on his footwork to mask his lack of ideal athletic ability but he is an outstanding backup.
      Get a complete list of all the NFL free agents, their grades and ESPN's expert analysis on their future prospects.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Bring him in.

Comment

• ryven
          • Jan 2003

this could be an interesting prospect. TedMock from what you remember of him in his college days do think he has it in him to play starter at tackle?

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

He reminds me of Mike Williams from what I've read. If McNally can make Mike Williams into a damn good tackle, maybe he can do the same thing with Floyd Womack. Think of it this way....both tackles would be Big, Fat Blockades. McNally just has to work on his footwork with him.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I've read that he has been somewhat inconsistent, but he's big and young and has a few years experience. He could become a player under McNally.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

This could also be a smoke screen to get Arizona to pull the trigger on the Shelton deal.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                  • May 2004

He's a solid player, he is capable of playing tackle, but his strength lies at an interior position.

Here are some comments made about him by his former coach....

Q: Does Walter missing training camp impact you or the team in any way?
                  Holmgren: “Where it has impact is in the other fellas, not so much in Walt. The guy that is most effected I think for the last couple years by Walter not being there is Pork Chop (Floyd Womack). We’ve tried to have him be a guard. Walter’s not there and you want to put your best lineman on the field so he’s played tackle. He’s played left tackle and right tackle. I think it has had some affect on him more than Walt. That’s the domino effect of him not being in camp.”

Q: Floyd Womack is a good tackle.
                  Holmgren: “He’s a good tackle. He’s a pretty good tackle. We all felt he would really be an outstanding inside player. The positions are very different. What you ask them to do is very different. Heck, what you ask your right tackle and your left tackle to do are a little different. But my point is he can’t focus in on playing one position. He’s got to jump all over. It makes it a little harder on him I think.”
                  "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                  --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    This could also be a smoke screen to get Arizona to pull the trigger on the Shelton deal.
                    That's true. I hope it is. I do really want Shelton.

Comment

• Romes
                      • Jul 2002

bring him in TD! other than Stockar McDougle thats primarly a RT Pork Chop is the best FA 0T their is out there.
                      Originally posted by paladin warrior
                      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Womack was a stud at Mississippi St. and shut down some of the best pass rushers in the country while there. Id love to bring him, he has good speed and quickness for his side and is a true grader, also has a mean streak you wanna see in an OL. Id like to play him at G and Shelton or maybe even McDougal at tackle. If we can get both and he and Demulling however id be very pleased with that side of the line then.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

i agree with DB.. this is the kind of guy i want.. and the kind of guy that mcnally can do something with.. but mcnally cant add a mean streak.. or road grader ability.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryven
                            this could be an interesting prospect. TedMock from what you remember of him in his college days do think he has it in him to play starter at tackle?
                            He was a beast in college....a top tier OL. I think the knock on him was a little lack of quickness, but he could be "fixed" if he works on footwork. He's big and mean, which are two things that can't be taught. McNally has done wonders with lesser talent, so I think he'd be a great pickup at guard or tackle.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Personally, I think Womack is better than DeMulling, Gandy or Shelton. I would take him over all three, although I think his best fit is at OG.

Comment

Working...
                              X