PDA

View Full Version : Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack...

The Quebecer
03-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Another option @ OG?

"Pork Shop" (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002201487_hawk09.html)

• Seahawks OL Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack has free-agent visits scheduled for Buffalo today and Green Bay tomorrow. The Seahawks are still very involved in negotiations with Womack.

Later,
Pat

TedMock
03-09-2005, 08:05 AM
There's a possibility. He's the primary backup at both tackle spots in Seattle, and at right guard, so who knows? He's not the primary starter, but let's face the facts here. Chris Terry and Walter Jones are stud offensive tackles. Womack is also over 330 pounds and only 27 years old. I don't know much about him as a pro, but I remember him being very good at Mississippi State. Anybody know anything about his professional progress?

Michael82
03-09-2005, 08:14 AM
No, he'd be coming in for OT. He sounds like an interesting choice if we can't get Shelton. Maybe McNally would be able to fix him like he fixed Big Mike? :idunno:

Height: 6-4
Weight: 333
Born: Nov. 15, 1978
Cleveland, MS
Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade 70
Insider Analysis Womack is massive, he engulfs undersized defenders at the point of attack and he can wear defenders down over the course of the game. He drives through his blocks and he has the lower body strength to push the pile in the running game. As a pass blocker, he gets adequate knee bend and he rarely gives ground to bull rushers. He has experience playing tackle as well as guard and he shows good versatility. However, Womack lacks ideal athletic ability and he is a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. He lacks ideal initial quickness and explosive one-gap defenders will have some success shooting the inside gap working against him. While he has some experience playing tackle teams shouldnt feel comfortable consistently leaving him on an island in pass protection when he is lined up there. As a run blocker, Womack doesnt have the lateral ability to adjust to the moving target in space and he wont always reach his assignments at the second level. Overall, Womack is marginal starter at tackle and he needs to continue to work on his footwork to mask his lack of ideal athletic ability but he is an outstanding backup.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=2677

The Spaz
03-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Bring him in.

ryven
03-09-2005, 08:16 AM
this could be an interesting prospect. TedMock from what you remember of him in his college days do think he has it in him to play starter at tackle?

Michael82
03-09-2005, 08:21 AM
He reminds me of Mike Williams from what I've read. If McNally can make Mike Williams into a damn good tackle, maybe he can do the same thing with Floyd Womack. Think of it this way....both tackles would be Big, Fat Blockades. McNally just has to work on his footwork with him. :up:

Jan Reimers
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I've read that he has been somewhat inconsistent, but he's big and young and has a few years experience. He could become a player under McNally.

Earthquake Enyart
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
This could also be a smoke screen to get Arizona to pull the trigger on the Shelton deal.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-09-2005, 08:38 AM
He's a solid player, he is capable of playing tackle, but his strength lies at an interior position.

Here are some comments made about him by his former coach....

Q: Does Walter missing training camp impact you or the team in any way?
Holmgren: “Where it has impact is in the other fellas, not so much in Walt. The guy that is most effected I think for the last couple years by Walter not being there is Pork Chop (Floyd Womack). We’ve tried to have him be a guard. Walter’s not there and you want to put your best lineman on the field so he’s played tackle. He’s played left tackle and right tackle. I think it has had some affect on him more than Walt. That’s the domino effect of him not being in camp.”

Q: Floyd Womack is a good tackle.
Holmgren: “He’s a good tackle. He’s a pretty good tackle. We all felt he would really be an outstanding inside player. The positions are very different. What you ask them to do is very different. Heck, what you ask your right tackle and your left tackle to do are a little different. But my point is he can’t focus in on playing one position. He’s got to jump all over. It makes it a little harder on him I think.”

Michael82
03-09-2005, 08:39 AM
This could also be a smoke screen to get Arizona to pull the trigger on the Shelton deal.
That's true. I hope it is. I do really want Shelton.

Romes
03-09-2005, 09:07 AM
bring him in TD! other than Stockar McDougle thats primarly a RT Pork Chop is the best FA 0T their is out there.

DraftBoy
03-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Womack was a stud at Mississippi St. and shut down some of the best pass rushers in the country while there. Id love to bring him, he has good speed and quickness for his side and is a true grader, also has a mean streak you wanna see in an OL. Id like to play him at G and Shelton or maybe even McDougal at tackle. If we can get both and he and Demulling however id be very pleased with that side of the line then.

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 09:45 AM
i agree with DB.. this is the kind of guy i want.. and the kind of guy that mcnally can do something with.. but mcnally cant add a mean streak.. or road grader ability.

TedMock
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
this could be an interesting prospect. TedMock from what you remember of him in his college days do think he has it in him to play starter at tackle?

He was a beast in college....a top tier OL. I think the knock on him was a little lack of quickness, but he could be "fixed" if he works on footwork. He's big and mean, which are two things that can't be taught. McNally has done wonders with lesser talent, so I think he'd be a great pickup at guard or tackle.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think Womack is better than DeMulling, Gandy or Shelton. I would take him over all three, although I think his best fit is at OG.

Romes
03-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Personally, I think Womack is better than DeMulling, Gandy or Shelton. I would take him over all three, although I think his best fit is at OG.

I agree but he will come in at tackle cause that is what we need.

Dicknoze69
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to move Pork Chop to LG and then trade for Shelton to play LT ?

ICE74129
03-09-2005, 10:45 AM
So the plan is to sign the #3 BACKUP Tackle who is so fat they call him porkchop and have him start for us.

Have we really fallen that far as fans? That we are sitting here trying to rationalize possibly putting someone elses trash at LT to protect our franchise QB?

Romes
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
So the plan is to sign the #3 BACKUP Tackle who is so fat they call him porkchop and have him start for us.

Have we really fallen that far as fans? That we are sitting here trying to rationalize possibly putting someone elses trash at LT to protect our franchise QB?

Mike Williams is bigger than he is. He has done pretty well.

Every FA is someone elses trash. That doesn't mean he can't be our treasure. (sorry for the horrible cliche :crazy: )

If you have a better option I'm all for it. Can you suggest it? But for now pork chop seems to be the best way to go.

TedMock
03-09-2005, 10:59 AM

That's not the case for most of us. For most of us, it's the fact that we'd like a good football player on the offensive line. The guy is backing up two stud tackles, so how do we know that he's trash? He may be a bust, but for those of us who watched him play, we know that he was stud in college and that he can play both tackle spots, as well as guard. The guy has been a very good football player, so there's no real reason to rationalize anything. If he sucks, don't bring him in, but he's a big time talent who needs a little coaching, by all means bring him in. We'd be stupid not to. McNally has proven that he can get the best out of people, so why not see what he thinks first?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM

Don't group the rest of us in with your level of ignorance.
Your knowledge is obviously lacking with respect to this subject.
--The guy isn't/wasn't called porkchop due to his size...he was nicknamed porkchop by his mother when he was a child after a local wrestler.

--He is a backup tackle to two of the best tackles in the NFL...Walter Jones and Chris Terry. We don't have a tackle who compares to either. Womack is a solid, versatile lineman who goes out and does what his team asks him to due even at the expense of his own development. He is not trash.
If you think Teague, Gandy, Price or McFarland are better options you are sorely mistaken.

deathadder
03-09-2005, 11:56 AM

This is the kind of ignorance that shows that people do not know anything about football. If people knew football, they would know that Porkchop was behind two solid tackles on Seattle's Oline. How can he prove himself while being behind two great offensive lineman! Just cause the guy is a backup, does not mean he is trash. I would take him over Shelton anyday! Please people, do your homework before you speak! :posrep:

Ickybaluky
03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
He is a backup tackle to two of the best tackles in the NFL...Walter Jones and Chris Terry. We don't have a tackle who compares to either. Womack is a solid, versatile lineman who goes out and does what his team asks him to due even at the expense of his own development. He is not trash.
If you think Teague, Gandy, Price or McFarland are better options you are sorely mistaken.

I agree wholeheartedly. Womack has improved a lot since coming to the NFL. I doubt he would be the first choice for a LT, but the fact he can play there (in fact did at times) is a real bonus. The guy can play any position by C up front, and that kind of versatility is uncommon. I like him a lot, not the most athletic guy, but has a real mean attitude and plays hard. I'd love for the Pats to sign him.

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 12:01 PM
:rofl: Ice.. that was horrible post. :down:

Ickybaluky
03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Also, the guy has 22 starts in the last 3 years, so it isn't like he has never played.

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Let's face it, our OL sucks and JP is going to be running for his life while WM will avg 3 YPC.

We're doomed.

Michael82
03-09-2005, 12:11 PM
We could probably get him for cheap too. If we can't get DeMulling and/or Shelton...I'm all for it. :up:

The Spaz
03-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Let's face it, our OL sucks and JP is going to be running for his life while WM will avg 3 YPC.

We're doomed.

:tired:

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
:tired:
It's been awhile I see...it's called sarcasm. :;

I was only playing up to the sky is falling crowd.

Michael82
03-09-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/ConPics/Con2759/Alexander290.jpg

ryven
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
im guessing he's #77.

jpdex12
03-09-2005, 12:27 PM

You've heard the saying, "Someone else's trash is someone else's treasure!"

deathadder
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
im guessing he's #77.

No... Thats him running with the football in that pic! :dance:

ryven
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I was being a smarta$$

deathadder
03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
I was being a smarta$$

So was I LOL... I think we should make him our 3rd wide receiver. He would look good out there catching and running with the football... :bow:

Michael82
03-09-2005, 01:14 PM
So was I LOL... I think we should make him our 3rd wide receiver. He would look good out there catching and running with the football... :bow:
And then we can let Jason Peters be the quarterback to throw him the ball. Beautiful. :bf1:

The Spaz
03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
It's been awhile I see...it's called sarcasm. :;

I was only playing up to the sky is falling crowd.

:up:

ParanoidAndroid
03-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I like the idea of bringing in Womack better than I like bringing in Shelton just because of the $$$ issue. I like it when Buffalo brings in "underdogs" and I think he's a good candidate to blossom under McNally. I think he fits Buffalo's personality perfectly. Good Karma! :;: Ommm...

Michael82
03-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I like the idea of bringing in Womack better than I like bringing in Shelton just because of the $$$ issue. I like it when Buffalo brings in "underdogs" and I think he's a good candidate to blossom under McNally. I think he fits Buffalo's personality perfectly. Good Karma! :;: Ommm...
Hmmm, interesting thoughts....

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 02:36 PM

We're doomed.

hater!

:snicker:

ScottLawrence
03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Reading a Seahawks message board, they really want him back.

Thanks Mike. I was just going to start a post asking if anyone has heard a status on Womack. Unless he has out-priced himself, I believe the seahawks would be foolish to let him walk.

He has proven himself as a reliable starter at RG and RT and has been our top backup the last two years. I love Gray's heart, but I believe its time for Womack to start.

We need to keep Pork Chop. No, I mean we really need to keep him...

http://mb10.scout.com/fseahawksinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=10361.topic

ryven
03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes Womack can be a starting RT. He has filled in for Jones at LT during camp the past three years and has been solid. He filled in for Terry at RT the last third of the season in '04, and was very good. He is a stud at RG. But other than that he totally sucks and you guys should avoid him at all costs. Rumor has it he likes to frolic around in a thong and tries to give lap dances in the locker room. He also sucks ar RB and CB...can't run or cover worth a damn.

I thought this was funny.

ryven
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
they most really want to keep him

Dozerdog
03-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I would love Womack here. He was my pick in the "Who will Buffalo sign first in FAcy" thread.

Kerr
03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
He was a starter before they got Chris Terry. Seattle's always had a solid line over the years. If we signed him and Demulling, we'd be in business.

BuffaloRanger
03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Womack seems to be the Seahawks version of Price, only better I guess.

Dozerdog
03-09-2005, 09:39 PM
A lot better.

Romes
03-09-2005, 09:44 PM
and younger

Romes
03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
"Pork Chop" was here!

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=122&p=2&c=358728

Seahawks OL Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack had a free-agent visit scheduled for Buffalo today.

The Bills looking to further shore up their offensive line had Floyd Womack in town for a visit today.

I wonder why BB.com did not report it? This is the second different sight that confirmed the visit.

Ickybaluky
03-10-2005, 06:51 AM
It looks like Womack is in Green Bay (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=67311) today. From the sound of the article, this might be his last visit, and he will decide between Buffalo, Green Bay or returning to Seattle.

Michael82
03-10-2005, 09:29 AM
It looks like Womack is in Green Bay (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=67311) today. From the sound of the article, this might be his last visit, and he will decide between Buffalo, Green Bay or returning to Seattle.
Forget Shelton....just sign Womack and DeMulling, TD and I will be happy. :pray:

Tatonka
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
do anything but put teague at LT.

Michael82
03-10-2005, 11:01 AM
do anything but put teague at LT.
Agreed. :scared: