You gotta love JP Losman! Check out this article...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

You gotta love JP Losman! Check out this article...

J.P. Losman was making me nervous before he spoke last week at St. John Fisher College's 5th Annual Conference on Sportsmanship. The 23-year-old Bills quarterback gave the keynote address before 246 athletes from 27 mostly Monroe County high schools. He seemed uptight, as quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche warmed up the audience for him. Losman's hands were in his pockets and he shuffled his weight from side to side.

This was just Losman's second public appearance, and it didn't look like it was going to be good. I've seen athletes fumble public speaking opportunities before. Former Sabre Doug Bodger once got up at the Press-Radio dinner to tell a dirty joke and then sit down. I recall how former Bills QB Rob Johnson dealt with public appearances, and I inevitably wondered just what in his chest kept him alive.

So I didn't expect much from Losman. Thirty-six minutes later, however, I couldn't recall a better public presentation by a Buffalo Bill. Losman's ability to convey his story and connect with the kids was unrivaled --- better than Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, and Jim Kelly.

He was even bold enough to stop his talk and chide a kid who was apparently laughing in front of him. That was truly a rare occurrence because, after all, the pro sports public relations manual says that when an athlete speaks in public, he should do just about anything to avoid even the possibility of offending someone. Losman evidently missed that page.

"What's so funny, big cat?" he asked the student, who might have just wet his pants. "I just want to know, what's so funny? Things like that, it's kind of rude. I'm up here. I'm kind of nervous myself. It's a chance, an opportunity to get inside of you guys. And somebody's laughing. It's disrespectful. I don't appreciate it... Now I don't mean to call anybody out like that, but this is real life. People call each other out. It's OK. You know, you live and learn. You forgive."

After that, Losman commanded attention like Norman Schwarzkopf. If he displays that kind of bold sensibility as one of the youngest Bills this season --- and if he plays well, obviously --- maybe things will work out.

Rochester, New York's source for arts, music, events listings and culture, on the web and in print every month. Offering alternative news since 1971.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

"What's so funny, big cat?"

That quote is perfect and just what i wanted to hear from a rookie QB like Losman. He is definitely showing signs of maturity and he really could turn into something special. Maybe Green Bay was interested in him because he's going to be the next Brett Favre?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

So far, I really like what I've heard from JP. He's classier and more mature than I imagined.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        So far, I really like what I've heard from JP. He's classier and more mature than I imagined.
        I totally agree. From what I saw from him in training camp and the fact that he always was out there signing autographs for the fans even when he didn't have to anymore. I really have a lot of respect for him and am definitely going to go out and get his jersey.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
          I totally agree. From what I saw from him in training camp and the fact that he always was out there signing autographs for the fans even when he didn't have to anymore. I really have a lot of respect for him and am definitely going to go out and get his jersey.
          Yeah, I think I'll retire Drew and get a JP jersey as well.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            Yeah, I think I'll retire Drew and get a JP jersey as well.
            I already retired Drew and I have a Willis jersey, but I am DEFINITELY getting a JP jersey. This guy really excites me. If he's as exciting on the field as we think he will be...watch out!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

BTW, I'm resigning from the DLC and formally apply to become a member of the JPD. Can I join, Darth?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

Nice, JP!!! There's nothing wrong with calling out these kids. Recently, we've been afraid of singleing out students and shaming them a little bit. For some reason there is a belief that we are damaging the child's psyche or hurting their feelings. What a crock! If there is no shame, there is no humility. Inappropriate behavior should be met with sharply and JP did an awesome job. Now, before I turn this into a non-football thread, I should say that I am also excited about him. He's the kind of guy who will learn from his mistakes. The rougher he starts out, the faster he will learn. Good things all around!

Comment

• Iehoshua
                  • Jan 2003

Of course you gotta love JP! The JPD will throw your ass behind bars if you don't!

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

BTW, I'm resigning from the DLC and formally apply to become a member of the JPD. Can I join, Darth?
                    I did Not see that coming.. Boxers or Briefs?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Crisis
                      • Aug 2004

JPD sucks.
                      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                      Vanek is Austrian not European
                      Originally posted by Prov401
                      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                      Originally posted by better days
                      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

I already retired Drew and I have a Willis jersey, but I am DEFINITELY getting a JP jersey. This guy really excites me. If he's as exciting on the field as we think he will be...watch out!

My Losman Jersey is coming UPS tomorrow.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Crisis
                          JPD sucks.
                          Better be careful, I may consider saying JPD sucks as meaning I suck which is a personal attack.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

as the JPD president.. i formally accept your application. you are on a 1 hour probation before your officially a member.

wear your JPD badge with pride and defend against all the naysayers!
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis
                              JPD sucks.

application denied.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X