PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love JP Losman! Check out this article...

Michael82
03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
J.P. Losman was making me nervous before he spoke last week at St. John Fisher College's 5th Annual Conference on Sportsmanship. The 23-year-old Bills quarterback gave the keynote address before 246 athletes from 27 mostly Monroe County high schools. He seemed uptight, as quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche warmed up the audience for him. Losman's hands were in his pockets and he shuffled his weight from side to side.

This was just Losman's second public appearance, and it didn't look like it was going to be good. I've seen athletes fumble public speaking opportunities before. Former Sabre Doug Bodger once got up at the Press-Radio dinner to tell a dirty joke and then sit down. I recall how former Bills QB Rob Johnson dealt with public appearances, and I inevitably wondered just what in his chest kept him alive.

So I didn't expect much from Losman. Thirty-six minutes later, however, I couldn't recall a better public presentation by a Buffalo Bill. Losman's ability to convey his story and connect with the kids was unrivaled --- better than Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, and Jim Kelly.

He was even bold enough to stop his talk and chide a kid who was apparently laughing in front of him. That was truly a rare occurrence because, after all, the pro sports public relations manual says that when an athlete speaks in public, he should do just about anything to avoid even the possibility of offending someone. Losman evidently missed that page.

"What's so funny, big cat?" he asked the student, who might have just wet his pants. "I just want to know, what's so funny? Things like that, it's kind of rude. I'm up here. I'm kind of nervous myself. It's a chance, an opportunity to get inside of you guys. And somebody's laughing. It's disrespectful. I don't appreciate it... Now I don't mean to call anybody out like that, but this is real life. People call each other out. It's OK. You know, you live and learn. You forgive."

After that, Losman commanded attention like Norman Schwarzkopf. If he displays that kind of bold sensibility as one of the youngest Bills this season --- and if he plays well, obviously --- maybe things will work out.

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gbase/Gyrosite/Content?oid=oid%3A3340

Michael82
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
"What's so funny, big cat?"

That quote is perfect and just what i wanted to hear from a rookie QB like Losman. He is definitely showing signs of maturity and he really could turn into something special. Maybe Green Bay was interested in him because he's going to be the next Brett Favre? :idunno: :pray:

Jan Reimers
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
So far, I really like what I've heard from JP. He's classier and more mature than I imagined.

Michael82
03-09-2005, 02:05 PM
So far, I really like what I've heard from JP. He's classier and more mature than I imagined.
I totally agree. From what I saw from him in training camp and the fact that he always was out there signing autographs for the fans even when he didn't have to anymore. I really have a lot of respect for him and am definitely going to go out and get his jersey. :up:

Jan Reimers
03-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I totally agree. From what I saw from him in training camp and the fact that he always was out there signing autographs for the fans even when he didn't have to anymore. I really have a lot of respect for him and am definitely going to go out and get his jersey. :up:
Yeah, I think I'll retire Drew and get a JP jersey as well. :dance:

Michael82
03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I think I'll retire Drew and get a JP jersey as well. :dance:
I already retired Drew and I have a Willis jersey, but I am DEFINITELY getting a JP jersey. This guy really excites me. If he's as exciting on the field as we think he will be...watch out! :dance: :dance:

Michael82
03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
BTW, I'm resigning from the DLC and formally apply to become a member of the JPD. Can I join, Darth?

ParanoidAndroid
03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Nice, JP!!! There's nothing wrong with calling out these kids. Recently, we've been afraid of singleing out students and shaming them a little bit. For some reason there is a belief that we are damaging the child's psyche or hurting their feelings. What a crock! If there is no shame, there is no humility. Inappropriate behavior should be met with sharply and JP did an awesome job. Now, before I turn this into a non-football thread, I should say that I am also excited about him. He's the kind of guy who will learn from his mistakes. The rougher he starts out, the faster he will learn. Good things all around!

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Of course you gotta love JP! The JPD will throw your ass behind bars if you don't!
http://www.wcg.org/lit/bible/poet/man_behind_bars.jpg

juice
03-09-2005, 02:53 PM
BTW, I'm resigning from the DLC and formally apply to become a member of the JPD. Can I join, Darth?:shocked: I did Not see that coming.. Boxers or Briefs?

Crisis
JPD sucks.

The Spaz
I already retired Drew and I have a Willis jersey, but I am DEFINITELY getting a JP jersey. This guy really excites me. If he's as exciting on the field as we think he will be...watch out! :dance: :dance:

My Losman Jersey is coming UPS tomorrow.:tongue::snicker::beers:

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 02:55 PM
JPD sucks.

Better be careful, I may consider saying JPD sucks as meaning I suck which is a personal attack. ;)

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
BTW, I'm resigning from the DLC and formally apply to become a member of the JPD. Can I join, Darth?

as the JPD president.. i formally accept your application. you are on a 1 hour probation before your officially a member. :D

wear your JPD badge with pride and defend against all the naysayers!

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 03:02 PM
JPD sucks.

application denied.

Willis!
03-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I just hope he's a good QB.

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.mind.net/basile/denial.jpg

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
as the JPD president.. i formally accept your application. you are on a 1 hour probation before your officially a member. :D

wear your JPD badge with pride and defend against all the naysayers!
I second! Welcome Mikey!

Crisis
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
JPD is a stupid concept.

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
JPD is a stupid concept.
Speaking out of humor, that's the whole point...
:crazy:

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
JPD is a stupid concept.

wow... someone crap in your cereal this morning?

is being a bills fan a stupid concept too? same premis.. your a bills fan no matter what happens.. right?
:shocked:

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Speaking out of humor, that's the whole point...
:crazy:

some people ... :rolleyes:

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2005, 04:08 PM
FANTASTIC story. If I had any shred of doubt about JP's ability to lead, they are gone. What do you think Drew would have done in that situation? Nothing. Same way on the field.

I think all Bills fans should be extremely excited to see this kind of command and control attitude from JP.

I can't wait to see this kid in action. :party:

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 04:10 PM
FANTASTIC story. If I had any shred of doubt about JP's ability to lead, they are gone. What do you think Drew would have done in that situation? Nothing. Same way on the field.

I think all Bills fans should be extremely excited to see this kind of command and control attitude from JP.

I can't wait to see this kid in action. :party:
Drew would have been sacked by the kid in the front row and fumbled his speech...

:rofl:

ScottLawrence
03-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Drew would have been sacked by the kid in the front row and fumbled his speech...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

LMAO!

Jersey1031
03-09-2005, 04:25 PM
jp's bold...i like him

The Natrix
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Lame.

He should have said, "shut the **** up you fat little pansy." "What, did mommy forget to pack your meds?"

Iehoshua
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Lame.

He should have said, "shut the **** up you fat little pansy." "What, did mommy forget to pack your meds?"

Tatonka
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
he could pulled an Axle Rose and jumped into the crowd, steel tip boots first.

Bulldog
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Isn't there some sort of rule against laughing at your own joke?

Kerr
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Rad. Losman don't play that!

B-DON
03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
did u just say rad ?

Kerr
03-09-2005, 08:54 PM
did u just say rad ?
Ya, so?

Voltron
03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
I read that and I was so impressed. I was just talking to someone tonight that said they questioned whether JP would be able to handle the pressure. Well after reading that I would have to say that he is ready. He is not cocky at all. He is just very confident in himself!

superbills
03-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Rad. Losman don't play that!

Rad? Wow. Suddenly it's 1984 and I'm listening to Twisted Sister on MTV, you know, back when they played music videos.

Kerr
03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Rad? Wow. Suddenly it's 1984 and I'm listening to Twisted Sister on MTV, you know, back when they played music videos.Great, slang nazis. Just what this board needed. :meh:

Michael82
03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Rad? Wow. Suddenly it's 1984 and I'm listening to Twisted Sister on MTV, you know, back when they played music videos.
MTV played music videos?!?! :eek: :eek2:

When? :scratch:

ublinkwescore
03-10-2005, 10:23 AM

I think I'll be joining you guys soon.

Maybe in about 3 or 4 paychecks.

Voltron
03-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Does anyone remeber the movie RAD with the Kid from the Christmas story? It was about a BMX bike that came alive :up:

Quality stuff !!!