• Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Who Would You Rather Have???

Tom Donahoe or A.J. Smith?

And why...

Jon
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I'll keep Donahoe. He seems to have a better grasp of long term cap success.

I also beleive that if the Chargers and Bills swapped respective divisions, the Bills would be in the Playoffs last season and the Chargers out.

The AFC East next season is going to be brutal. I think all 4 teams will be in the top half of the league....maybe even 3 in the top 10

Comment

• regor
      • Jul 2002

I'd take TD.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

San Diego's best move was sort of "forced" on them by their own horrible reputation in signing their top pick.

Mannning didn't want to sign with them in part because the Chargers year after year draft very high, and then are always one of thre last clubs to ink their picks. When Manning balked, the Chargers drafted him anyway and eventually ransacked the Giants for extra picks.

Of course, they still managed to keep Phillip Rivers away from camp all preseason again due to the inability to sign their top pick. Then they blew one of their day one selections on a kicker thet choked in the playoffs.

I give more credit to the Charger success to Schottenheimer. I know- everyone loves to step on his stones for his terrible playoff record. But look at his record- 19 seasons as a coach with a total of 2- count 'em- two losing seasons.

177-117-1 as a coach.

Comment

• ajsdx
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          I give more credit to the Charger success to Schottenheimer. I know- everyone loves to step on his stones for his terrible playoff record. But look at his record- 19 seasons as a coach with a total of 2- count 'em- two losing seasons.

177-117-1 as a coach.
          Certainly very impressive, and i'm not being sarcastic or anything. Having a winning record like that is no fluke; he's a great coach and he knows how to put a winning team on the field. That said, what's the point of playing if you aren't going to win the Super Bowl? What have you accomplished? You play/coach/whatever football for one reason. It's the only thing that really matters. If you're going to play for a winning record every year and a first/second round flame out, why even have a team.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

I think A.J. Smith deserves a lot of the credit too. Sure, the Chargers may have a bad rep for draft picks, but A.J. is new there, that isn't the result of him. Now he has TWO franchise quarterbacks, and can peddle one off for a lot more picks (a lot more picks than they already got from the NYG). They have LaDainian Tomlinson, a young promising defense, Antonio Gates...

That team is really coming along. A.J. also deserves credit for sticking with Schottenheimer. He could've canned him, brought in someone else, and started to rebuild again. But he showed faith and they went 12-4 last year, not too shabby when almost everyone picked them to be last place.

I'd kill for a 12-4 season right now...

Jon

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mudflap1
              I think A.J. Smith deserves a lot of the credit too. Sure, the Chargers may have a bad rep for draft picks, but A.J. is new there, that isn't the result of him. Now he has TWO franchise quarterbacks, and can peddle one off for a lot more picks (a lot more picks than they already got from the NYG). They have LaDainian Tomlinson, a young promising defense, Antonio Gates...

That team is really coming along. A.J. also deserves credit for sticking with Schottenheimer. He could've canned him, brought in someone else, and started to rebuild again. But he showed faith and they went 12-4 last year, not too shabby when almost everyone picked them to be last place.

I'd kill for a 12-4 season right now...

Jon
              Yes, but as Dozerdog said, having the 2 franchise QBs was sort of thrown on his lap - not a plan he came up with. The Giants were just stupid in value-ing Manning so high just for his name. I kept telling all the Giants fans here that they should just take Roethlisberger or even Robert Gallery if Eli is gone (I'm not really high on Phillip Rivers). But instead, they trade away a Kings' ransom's worth. I hope Eli turns out to be mediocre and the Giants stay down for a long time b'cse of that stupidity they did. Meanwhile, all SD did was take advantage of what was thrown at them. But in my opinion, it was a no brainer for them! That doesn't elevate my view of AJ

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

AJ has learned under some great GM's, Polian and Butler primarily, and is a rising star. But I'd take TD's mature savvy for the foreseeable future.
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                  WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                  • Mar 2003

I'd take their kicker over ours.
                  Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

i would take either and be happy.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                    X