PDA

View Full Version : A question about the line for all

Tatonka
03-10-2005, 03:02 PM
i understand that everyone is worried about the Oline.. and some respond in different ways..

Let me pose this scenario to gauge what peoples thoughts are..

Say we sign Womack.. then we draft a Olineman on day one of the draft (like tackle like Terry from SU or tackle Munoz.. or possibly a center, like peterson).

Would you be happy with the offseason adjustments to the line?

We lost jennings, pucillo, and price.. we replaced them with womack, gandy, and a 1st day OLineman..

does this qualify as neglecting the oline?

The Spaz
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
That I see as an upgrade for sure.

Dicknoze69
03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Teague/Womack/Draft Pick----DeMulling/Tucker----Tucker/Draft Pick/Teague----Villarial----Williams

I think that looks respectable. We don't have any stars, but that isn't what we need. It's entirely possible that some draft picks may develop quickly and we can insert them in as the season progresses.

I think TD is doing the best he can with the resources available.

Philagape
03-10-2005, 03:11 PM
What else is there to do?

Ebenezer
03-10-2005, 03:15 PM
i understand that everyone is worried about the Oline.. and some respond in different ways..

Let me pose this scenario to gauge what peoples thoughts are..

Say we sign Womack.. then we draft a Olineman on day one of the draft (like tackle like Terry from SU or tackle Munoz.. or possibly a center, like peterson).

Would you be happy with the offseason adjustments to the line?

We lost jennings, pucillo, and price.. we replaced them with womack, gandy, and a 1st day OLineman..

does this qualify as neglecting the oline?
the assumption is that all three of the players you list will still be available when the Bills pick 52nd...that might be a tall order...

that being said:

womack is an upgrade over price
gandy is an upgrade over pucillo (I would be an upgrade over pucillo)
the question is whether a day 1 T would be an upgrade over JJ....JJ was able to handle guys like Taylor; just don't know if a draft choice (a second or third rounder mind you) could do that right away...it might be a little step backward for a short time...

overall, long term...upgrade...short term...step back because of the loss of JJ...

which leads to the JP is more mobile than DB argument...that is true but if the LT is a raw rookie will JP be able to run for his life 10-15 times a game?? tall order for a guy with limited experience, imo.

Mudflap1
03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
If they sign DeMulling in addition it would be ok. If they don't, then it's a push at best or a step backward.

Bottom line: In year five, we shouldn't even be having this discussion, the line situation should be more solid and stable than it is right now.

Jon

BuffaloRanger
03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Since "neglecting the oline" is one of my favorite complaints about TD I'll say this.

Signing 2 OL and drafting one early would be a fundamental shift in thinking for TD. I don't know if it's possible. In this scenario the line would still be weaker, LT will still be a issue, but at least TD will have attempted to address a long standing problem.

What if we lose out on Pork Chop, and Demulling, and picking an Olineman at # 52 doesn't make since based on whose left? Than what do you have?

Will Faine and Turley be June 1st cuts? Can Faine bounce back from injuries. Can Turley bounce back from injuries and drying up from supposed steroid use? Do they have anything left? Will they want too much? Will they want to sign with Buffalo? All questions.

There's always ways to improve the Oline. Trades, trading down in the draft, FAs, and June 1st cuts.

But TD just has to do it.

Mudflap1
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Agree 100% Buffalo Ranger.

Jon

YardRat
03-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I won't be happy unless we get a viable LT through free agency or trade.

Tatonka
03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
pork chop would be jjs replacement.. not the draftee, necessarily.

so really, there is no faith that pork chop would be a viable LT, even though he has always been successful at it when needed in the nfl and played LT in college?

YardRat
03-10-2005, 03:52 PM
From everyting I've read about pork chop, he's a fine bull-rusher but has trouble with speed ends...not exactly a desirable trait for a LT. He'd be a better fit, IMO, on the interior of the line although I don't think you'd see him pulling much from the guard position.

So I guess, No...Womack isn't a viable LT in my opinion.

Shasta McNasty
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
if the scenario described happens, I would be happy. And honestly I think that is the plan.

EDS
03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Based on some of the responses on this thread and the other one about the 0-line someone better call the Buffalo police department and start a suicide watch.

Oh, and all you people who have given up on the season already can forward your tickets to me. I will make sure they go to someone who considers being a fan of a sports team a fun diversion from everyday life rather then an ulcer inducing worryfest.

Tatonka
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
yard.. his play at LT in seattle was fine.

Voltron
03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
From everyting I've read about pork chop, he's a fine bull-rusher but has trouble with speed ends...not exactly a desirable trait for a LT. He'd be a better fit, IMO, on the interior of the line although I don't think you'd see him pulling much from the guard position.

So I guess, No...Womack isn't a viable LT in my opinion.
Not handling the speed rushers can be coached with foot work and technique. I really think many people here don't give Mouse enough credit. Does anyone remember when he had 3 rookies and a backup with one starter playing on the Giants and they were in the low 1/4 of the league in sacks allowed? Mouse McNally is THE BEST OLINE COACH IN THE NFL! Some say he may be the best ever at coaching that position.

helmetguy
03-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Some are still hung over from last offseason's Bobermania.