• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

Blue Ice Surface??

This might be cool. I think I'm going to go to the game on 3 APR and check it out.

"Note to Buffalo Sabres fans: If you plan to attend either of the Rochester Americans' upcoming games in HSBC Arena, you might want to bring a pair of sunglasses.
    The reason? The ice will be painted blue.

That, of course, leads to another question. What color will the two blue lines be?

Orange.

And the center red line?

Blue. "

To recap, the Amerks will skate on blue ice, with orange lines determining offsides calls and a center-ice blue line.

Blue Ice Wave in Buffalo
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
    This might be cool. I think I'm going to go to the game on 3 APR and check it out.

"Note to Buffalo Sabres fans: If you plan to attend either of the Rochester Americans' upcoming games in HSBC Arena, you might want to bring a pair of sunglasses.
    The reason? The ice will be painted blue.

That, of course, leads to another question. What color will the two blue lines be?

Orange.

And the center red line?

Blue. "

To recap, the Amerks will skate on blue ice, with orange lines determining offsides calls and a center-ice blue line.

Blue Ice Wave in Buffalo
    why?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

It's all part of the bigger picture, part of an ongoing attempt by National Hockey League officials to breathe some new life and excitement into a league that - once it returns from its season-long lockout - will face a huge challenge in bringing back its fans.

"I think there's a feeling we want to modernize the game," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said. "I think there's definitely some fresh air in the league. I think people are open to innovation. I think there's a sense of a new era."

Specifically, they want to speed up the game, re-emphasize the players' skills and make the game more visually appealing to fans in the stands and on television. League officials have stated repeatedly during the stalled labor talks that they need to fix the economics of the NHL.

Bettman..."Tell you what...we'll paint the ice blue for you."

NHLPA..."OK...you got a deal."

Why didn't they think of this six months ago?? Dumb-asses.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Myers57
        Registered User and McLovin stunt double
        • Sep 2003

I thinks its about time to quit *****ing about the season being cancelled and look forward towards improving the league for the future...

I like these experimental things being attempted in order to boost hockey back to its status before the lockout....

I'll most likely be attending that April 3rd game as well...

Any zoners wish to meet and watch the game?

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

It does look pretty cool from what I saw on the news earlier...

Comment

• SabreEleven
            • Aug 2002

ESPN should televise this game to see how it translate to TV.

Comment

• chubluv
              BillsZone bowling team MVP
              • Jan 2003

The guy painting the line looks like Tommy Chong lol

We are in 5th place
              Clump is on the IR
              Chubluv average is 167
              Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
              Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• SkateZilla
                • Dec 2002

ok

heres my thoughts..

1. the ice itself isnt painted no more... they paint the underlying matt... DUH...

2. Blue ice would look better Live and in person... why on earth would you bring the sunglasses... blue ice would reflect less of the lighting than white ice..

3. blue ice would inclrease visibility of the puck and stuff.. trust me.. a lil black Dot surrounded by massive ammounts of hi lumenescent white ice .. you eyes cant focus on the lil black dot..

4. I think blue ice on TV would reak havoc on standard digital tv and maybe Analog TV.. a 2.3 MB/sec Bitrate wont be enough to broadcast BLUE.. BLUE is the color that gives digital TV the most problems..

On the Other Hand.. it should be really easy On HDTV ..

another thing..

if the ice is blue and the blue lines are orange.. and the center line is blue.. WTF? why change hte Blue lines to Orage and change the Red line to BLUE??
                Skate Zilla
                -----------------------
                Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla
                  ok

heres my thoughts..

1. the ice itself isnt painted no more... they paint the underlying matt... DUH...

2. Blue ice would look better Live and in person... why on earth would you bring the sunglasses... blue ice would reflect less of the lighting than white ice..

3. blue ice would inclrease visibility of the puck and stuff.. trust me.. a lil black Dot surrounded by massive ammounts of hi lumenescent white ice .. you eyes cant focus on the lil black dot..

4. I think blue ice on TV would reak havoc on standard digital tv and maybe Analog TV.. a 2.3 MB/sec Bitrate wont be enough to broadcast BLUE.. BLUE is the color that gives digital TV the most problems..

On the Other Hand.. it should be really easy On HDTV ..

another thing..

if the ice is blue and the blue lines are orange.. and the center line is blue.. WTF? why change hte Blue lines to Orage and change the Red line to BLUE??

that's what I thought when I saw the guy painting the lines...I thought they painted the lines below the ice not on top. It makes no sense to put paint on top of the ice as the skates are going to push it all over the place. I also though the ice was blue because of food coloring in the water.

Comment

• Myers57
                    Registered User and McLovin stunt double
                    • Sep 2003

They put down a layer of ice, paint the lines, and then put on another layer of ice, that way the paint is never affected...

Comment

• SkateZilla
                      • Dec 2002

yeah..

at perm ice rinks they put Ice.. paint and Put ice again..

at Facilities like Norfolk Scope Where the AHl team playes and stuff..

they just have a Mat, that they lay down an d the ice tottaly sucks..

i had to play a division game for my league last year there...

funny... they need ICE REGULATIONS..

Offensive teams Keep their ICE hard.. To Skate Faster On....

Defensive teams keep their Ice Soft.. To Keep other team from skating faster...
                      Skate Zilla
                      -----------------------
                      Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                      SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Valerie
                        Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
                        • Jul 2002

This story is so big it even made the news down here! I think it sounds cool. I hope to see some highlights on television tonight to see what it looks like.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
                        Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
                        The only answer I found for all this hurt
                        Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Blue ice is ludicrous. The puck stands out more against white than blue.

Comment

• RetroRaiders81
                            Raidaas Fans Watch Will and Grace
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                            Blue ice is ludicrous. The puck stands out more against white than blue.
                            I agree with skatezilla saying that it's harder to see with white ice with all the bright light reflecting and making the puck appear smaller. Didn't they used to have blue ice back in the day?
                            The Houston Retro Raiders.

Comment

Working...
                            X