X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Salary Cap Redux

I guess Howard Simon is confused about where the salary cap space went.

Clayton's numbers makes sense. Why? Basically, the original projections of $12-17 million did not include the follwing:

My article from Feb For reference

1) Salary escalators: Clements ($540,000 to $2.5 million), M. Williams ($726,875 to $4 million, Wire ($455,000 to $1.43 million), and Bannan ($455,000 to $550,000). That's $6,303,125

2) Cap adjustment: Bills have a number of players who had NLTBE incentives in 2004. McGahee, Evans, M. Williams. NLTBE's do not count on cap in year earned. If earned, they are subtracted from the following year's salary cap. I had estimated a cap debit of $1.5 million, but it's likely much more. NLTBE's earned in 2004 may have also caused NLTBE's in 2005 to become LTBE, which count on the cap this year. McGahee and M. Williams are prime suspects in this

3) Tenders to RFA & EFA: This took up $780,000 in cap space from the original projections.

4) My article above sez that after releasing Drew, Moulds' restructure, escalators to Clements and MW, tenders, and estimating cap debit of $1.5 million, I had the Bills $5.14 million under an $86 million salary cap. Well, salary cap is $85.5 million....subtract $500,000

My number would then read $4.64 million

Subtract the escalators for Wire and Bannan ($1.07 million) you get $3.57 million

I've discovered two other things: Adams has a $500,000 roster bonus and Teague has a $1 million roster bonus. Subtract $1.5 million and that gives you $2.07 million

From Clayton's numbers of $652,000, I'm off by $1.418 million which is likely attributed to additional cap debit and/or LTBE's

Clayton's numbers are correct.
  • clumping platelets

Where did the salary cap space for Holcomb and Gandy come from?

Good question....

Some people here e-mailed Clayton and he said that the Bills freed up $1.6 million shortly before both players signed.

Read my article and you will see it's likely that the Bills converted Schobel's $2 million roster bonus to signing bonus and spread it out over 5 yrs at $400,000/yr. Cap savings of $1.6 million

$652,000 (Clayton's number) + $1.6 million = $2.252 million

Holcomb cap hit for 2005 is $1.165 million = $1.087 million

Gandy's salary (no bonus info yet) is $540,000 = $547,000

Add back $305,000 x 2 = $610,000 (top 51 adjustment)

Bills are $1.157 million - Gandy's bonus under

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

But like EB said, they can easily spread a couple bonuses around to give us the original $5-6 million if we need it.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Mikey82
        But like EB said, they can easily spread a couple bonuses around to give us the original $5-6 million if we need it.

Depends on when those roster bonuses are due. If they were already paid.....no dice

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
          Depends on when those roster bonuses are due. If they were already paid.....no dice
          I just got in from cross country skiing and what a great chance to not only get exercise but also to think! I finally got it. Everybody can reset their pacemakers. It all makes sense. Clump can correct me if I am wrong and he will say "I already said that" but I haven't gone through every post in the last 24

Comment

• clumping platelets

Yes, I read that Mikey. But if a roster bonus has already been paid by the team to the player, it cannot later be converted to a signing bonus to prorate over X yrs.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Yes, I read that Mikey. But if a roster bonus has already been paid by the team to the player, it cannot later be converted to a signing bonus to prorate over X yrs.
              So, my question is...

Do the Bills have enough money to sign BOTH "Pork Chop" Womack and Rick DeMulling?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Mikey82
                So, my question is...

Do the Bills have enough money to sign BOTH "Pork Chop" Womack and Rick DeMulling?

They do not presently, but they do have ways of finding the cap space.

I'm not worried

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Man it would be awesome to sign them both.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

They do not presently, but they do have ways of finding the cap space.

I'm not worried
                    And it won't screw up our future cap if they did that...right?

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    Man it would be awesome to sign them both.
                    Yeah it would!!!

I'm going to bed now and I EXPECT to see both signed by Buffalo today.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

So basically, Mike Williams is killing us! I wonder why they haven't approached him about restructuring...or could it be that they have and he said No? Atleast next year we'll recover some of that from Bledsoe not being here anymore - but it looks like we won't be able to afford to keep Clements either next year.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        So basically, Mike Williams is killing us! I wonder why they haven't approached him about restructuring...or could it be that they have and he said No? Atleast next year we'll recover some of that from Bledsoe not being here anymore - but it looks like we won't be able to afford to keep Clements either next year.

The Bills have approached MW and his agent.....read my cap analysis article (link in sig) for the explanation

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                          • Sep 2002

I appreciate Clump's perceptive review of the cap situation; however, it does not diminish TD's deception of being a cap expert. I have reservations about the contracts he has given the players particularly all the incentives which seem to be killing us now. It's not like we won the Super Bowl or even reached the playoffs.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Don't forget the get another 1.75 million in cap space when the release Preilou.

Comment

• clumping platelets

It's not $1.75 million

Prioleau's release saves $1.17 million when adjusted for top 51

Comment

Working...
                              X