• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Is Milke Williams worth it?

I posted this in another thread but I think it bears discussion in it's own right.

MW's cap hit in '05: $9.17M
    Orlando Pace's cap hit in '05: $8.4M

Something is definitely out of whack here when an RT of MW's calibre is making more than an LT of Pace's caliber.

Discuss.
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

IMO, he's becoming a great RT, but jesus, that kind of $$ could buy us 2, maybe 3 good lineman. Villarial makes, what 3 milliion a year?

This contract is ridiculous, and is one of the few mistakes TD has made. TD needs to get Mike to restructure, or move his ass to LT.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Seriously, if TD really wants to make this line better, it starts and ends with the LT. That's why they make the most on the line. IMO, they should move MW to LT to see if he can earn his money. If he doesn't shine, then put him back at RT and cut his pay down to $4-5M or trade/release him. Or if they just want to keep him at RT then just cut his pay.

I'm sure there are a million ramifications to cutting his pay with all the legalese, but IMO they need to stop the bleeding sooner than later. Yes he is a good lineman but at $9.17 he needs to be a stud LT. No one else on an oline should be making that kind of money. That's preventing us from signing an stud LT. You can't pay two Pace's on the same line.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

If he's going to get paid that much money, he better play all 16 games and make the pro bowl as a starter. It's the only way to justify him getting that much money!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
          If he's going to get paid that much money, he better play all 16 games and make the pro bowl as a starter. It's the only way to justify him getting that much money!
          AT Left Tackle.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

I think we should move him to LT. I think he is a decent run blocker that could still get better, but he's commanding too much money now. Seems like he should be approached about a pay cut more than a restructuring of contract. If Bledsoe could do it...

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

I don't know the cap hit numbers but I wouldn't be opposed to trading/releasing him outright if he doesn't take a reduction (if staying at RT). If we can free up alot of cash, then we could even go after Pace and use a rook for RT. Bottom line is LT is alot more important than RT and I'd be willing to risk it on that side for a proven star on the left.

But again I'm sure we are stuck with MW's monster contract so it's all moot.

Comment

• venis2k1
                Youboty can hope
                • Jul 2002

and thats why it sucks to draft 4th overall.

Comment

• Spielmanrules54
                  • Mar 2005

Put him on the left... let McNally work his magic.... Big Mike did show signs of improvement this past season. Hey it's only been 4 years since he was drafted...ok ok, so he's a little slow. Definitely restructure that countract though... that number's a lil tacky to say the least

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                    I don't know the cap hit numbers but I wouldn't be opposed to trading/releasing him outright if he doesn't take a reduction (if staying at RT). If we can free up alot of cash, then we could even go after Pace and use a rook for RT. Bottom line is LT is alot more important than RT and I'd be willing to risk it on that side for a proven star on the left.

But again I'm sure we are stuck with MW's monster contract so it's all moot.
                    at this point, if you cut MW you would save $340K on the cap...

as Venis said...it sucks to draft #4...do you think McKinney would be worth the money MW is getting? He's a LT but still not worth the money, but he would be getting it...how about Roy Williams from Dallas? Worth $9mil a year? That's what he would be getting if picked #4...Detroit is taking a pounding on Harrington to the point there were rumors he would be released...drafting high sucks.

Trust me...I would love to see the Bills redo the deal...facts are facts...you draft a guy #4 he gets a bucket load of money...if he fails you are left holding the bag until the contract becomes friendly enough to cut him...which is usually after year 4 or 5...the last thing you want to do is draft a guy #4 sign him for 4 years and then have him pan out and leave...to get years 5+ you have to lock him up this way...which is the risk...sorry, that's how the game is played.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                      • Feb 2005

Hey.. I want McKinnie from the beginning. We have our LT now too. Oh well can't go in the past. As I've been saying since I heard about Fat Mike's cap # we must do something with his cap #. He makes almost double our next player (Moulds) and he's not even 1 of our 10 best players. I'd cut him before I let him sit on all that money no matter how good he looked late in the year.
                      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                        • Feb 2005

Ok after seeing how much we would save.. lets not cut Fat Mike.
                        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                          • Feb 2005

Julius Peppers just restructured and he's 1 of the best DEs in the league.. Fat Mike needs to restructure.
                          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                            Hey.. I want McKinnie from the beginning. We have our LT now too. Oh well can't go in the past. As I've been saying since I heard about Fat Mike's cap # we must do something with his cap #. He makes almost double our next player (Moulds) and he's not even 1 of our 10 best players. I'd cut him before I let him sit on all that money no matter how good he looked late in the year.
                            again...he saves $340K (depending on when the bonus gets paid, yada yada yada)...who do you expect to get to replace him??...now if the bonus is due in September you could save $3.34 by cutting him now.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                              Julius Peppers just restructured and he's 1 of the best DEs in the league.. Fat Mike needs to restructure.
                              the player has to be willing to restructure...a GM cannot just take a contract and rewrite it...

Comment

Working...
                              X