PDA

View Full Version : Flutie released!

NJFINSFAN1
03-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Chargers release Doug Flutie

Friday, March 11, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The San Diego Chargers released quarterback Doug Flutie today.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
BRING HIM IN!!! He can be the starter!

Sportsuser101
03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Screw Rob Johnson!

Sorry flashback.

generalmills
03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
where are all the middle aged canadian women who want the mullet as our starter??? :crazy:

dannyek71
03-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Screw Rob Johnson!

Sorry flashback.
lol

Iehoshua
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I'd take him as a third Qb for nostalgia sake... What number would he wear?...
:snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Force #11 on him. :D

Italian Stallion
03-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Force #11 on him. :D

HAHAHA I'd buy that jersey in a second

ticatfan
03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
He may be argo bound.

Kerr
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM

7 1/2

That's a rad young guns sig, Takeo. :peace:

generalmills
03-11-2005, 02:51 PM
He may be argo bound.
Please no!!! we dont want him!!!

ticatfan
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
[The 5-foot-10 Flutie always battled doubts about his size. San Diego was his fourth stop in his NFL career, which was interrupted by an eight-year stint in the CFL.]

That is the last line in the story, I love how they say the CFL was an interruption in his NFL career, so I guess the 40000 yards he threw up, he just keeping his arm warm in between Nfl games. LOL

Crisis
03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
[The 5-foot-10 Flutie always battled doubts about his size. San Diego was his fourth stop in his NFL career, which was interrupted by an eight-year stint in the CFL.]

That is the last line in the story, I love how they say the CFL was an interruption in his NFL career, so I guess the 40000 yards he threw up, he just keeping his arm warm in between Nfl games. LOL

Who cares about the CFL? It was a huge interruption.

mayotm
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Hopefully, you are joking. Unfortunatley, there are many fans that probably feel that we should bring him back. Flutie had one decent season (1998) in Buffalo. In 1999, he was below average. The defense was responsible for the Bills getting into the playoffs, not Flutie. Everybody seemed to be mesmorized by the spectacular plays that he made, but didn't seem care that he couldn't make some of the basic throws. The Flutie/Johnson debacle is one of the most embarrassing times in Bills history. I just assume forget about!

The King
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Ive played in flag football games that were more interesting than the CFL

ticatfan
03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Ive played in flag football games that were more interesting than the CFLYou guys would be playing soccor if it was'nt for canada.

The King
03-11-2005, 03:09 PM
You guys would be playing soccor if it was'nt for canada.

I havent heard of it. Is it anything like soccer?

mysticsoto
03-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Hopefully, you are joking. Unfortunatley, there are many fans that probably feel that we should bring him back. Flutie had one decent season (1998) in Buffalo. In 1999, he was below average. The defense was responsible for the Bills getting into the playoffs, not Flutie. Everybody seemed to be mesmorized by the spectacular plays that he made, but didn't seem care that he couldn't make some of the basic throws. The Flutie/Johnson debacle is one of the most embarrassing times in Bills history. I just assume forget about!
Well, I don't feel like we should bring him back, but I have to thank Flutie. I feel that in many ways, he did save the franchise from moving away when all the bandwagon fans jumped off, and even some of the real fans were too disgusted. He brought the interest back to the Bills and even drew the attention of women to football. My ex-girlfriend now enjoys football weekly b'cse of Flutie's influence back then. And he was clearly superior to Rob "where are the waves, dude" Johnson...

mayotm
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, I don't feel like we should bring him back, but I have to thank Flutie. I feel that in many ways, he did save the franchise from moving away when all the bandwagon fans jumped off, and even some of the real fans were too disgusted. He brought the interest back to the Bills and even drew the attention of women to football. My ex-girlfriend now enjoys football weekly b'cse of Flutie's influence back then. And he was clearly superior to Rob "where are the waves, dude" Johnson...

Flutie was certainly responsible for an exciting season in 1998. However, the support that he continues to receive is unbeleivable to me. Some fans put Flutie up there with Kelly which frankly is disturbing. There are reasons Flutie has not had much success in the NFL and it isn't because of his lack of height as he would suggest. He simply didn't have the ability to be anything more than a stop gap measure. He isn't / wasn't the all world QB that many fans with rose colored glasses see / saw.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Your Guess is correct.

ticatfan
03-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I havent heard of it. Is it anything like soccer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bit more intersting info on this Canadian impact on US football, from the website at http://www.the-game.org/history-originsto1889.htm for more reading:

"By PFRA Research (Professional Football Researchers Association)

The reason it was important is that Harvard began to look high and low for someone to play their precious Boston Game against. No other U.S. school would touch it.

Finally, in the spring of 1874, McGill University of Montreal, Canada, issued a challenge to the Crimson. Captain Harry Grant happily accepted. It turned out Harvard got more than it bargained for. McGill agreed to come to Cambridge for a session of Boston Game if Harvard would then have a go at a game by McGill's rules. McGill played rugby. The two teams met on May 14. Played under Harvard's rules, the game was such a rout they called it off after only 22 minutes with the home team in front 3-0.

"Just wait until tomorrow when we play rugby!" warned the McGill men.

The Harvard team laughed, but when the McGill players were out of earshot they asked each other nervously, "What's a rugby?"

Years later, a member of the Harvard class of 1874 said, "There were many points of difference [in the Boston Game] from the Rugby game. It was eminently a kicking, as distinguished from a running and tackling, game. The rules ... existed only in tradition. We went to work to learn the Rugby game, but I should question if there were three men in college who had ever seen the egg-shaped ball. A drop kick was an unknown and incredible feat, and the intricacies of `off side,' `free kick,' `put out,' and such commonplaces of the game seemed inextricable mysteries to novices like us."

The game played the next day, May 15, was the first rugby game on U.S. soil. Harvard acquitted itself very well and struggled to a scoreless tie. More importantly, they fell head over heels in love with rugby and all thoughts of the once-cherished Boston Game disappeared. Harvard couldn't wait until the next fall. When it came, they raced up to Montreal to play some more rugby. In addition to kicked goals, the Canadian version of the game allowed touchdowns to count in the scoring. Harvard scored three of them to win."

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
What is this?

Iehoshua
03-11-2005, 03:27 PM
You guys would be playing soccor if it was'nt for canada.
Add this to my list of reasons Canada sucks...
;)

ticatfan
03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Why the hate, it's just an interesting story on the history of football. You should be happy ,you won the 2nd game. lol

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I am not hating. :D

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Ive played in flag football games that were more interesting than the CFL
:rofl:

Pos rep coming. :posrep:

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Add this to my list of reasons Canada sucks...
;)

:down:

Gunzlingr
03-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Bring him and his WR brother in!

They can be the official band of the Bills!

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM

:negrep: Not no but HELL NO!!

honey
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Flutie rocks!!! I even have his jersey (san diego :couch: ).

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Still waiting for him to bring the Lombardi home to the Bills so I can open up my 7 year old box of Flutie Flakes (original red box). Maybe I'll eBay it in 20 years and get $1.18

Dantheman1280
03-11-2005, 05:21 PM
We need to sign him right now! I love this guy! I have like a woddy thinking about how good we would be with him. Even though he is old, he can still get it done!!

generalmills
03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I even have his jersey (san diego :couch: ).[/QUOTE]
Join the club...so does Hulk Hogan, Bud Bundy, John Stamos...and I hear David Bowie was a Flutie fan in the mid-80's.

mayotm
03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
We need to sign him right now! I love this guy! I have like a woddy thinking about how good we would be with him. Even though he is old, he can still get it done!!

Yeah, San Diego's ex-3rd string QB is certainly the solution. Are there any educated fans out there that can help me out with this. GET OVER FLUTIE! HE'S NEVER COMING BACK!

Jersey1031
03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
how olds flutie now anyways...i got a flutie bills jersey somewhere in my closet, i actually mite bust that out and wear it soon. ha! flutie isnt signing anywhere any time soon, he's too distrout after boston college got upset by west virginia! hahah

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, San Diego's ex-3rd string QB is certainly the solution. Are there any educated fans out there that can help me out with this. GET OVER FLUTIE! HE'S NEVER COMING BACK!

Thank God for that...we don't need his locker room problems

paladin warrior
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
NO! We dont want him. Flutie it too old.

G. Host
03-11-2005, 06:46 PM
He isn't / wasn't the all world QB that many fans with rose colored glasses see / saw.

Nor was he the cancer that a lot of the fans who act like latter-day amigos act like. He was a QB who was good for Buffalo when he was here but just a QB. Teams win games not QBs.

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Nor was he the cancer that a lot of the fans who act like latter-day amigos act like. :rolleyes: I guess him shooting off his mouth to the media that we would've won against Tennessee had he played wasn't a slap in the face to everyone who did play that game? But then, if he wasn't a cancer like some of us knew him to be, he wouldn't have shot off his mouth at all.
Flutie :negrep:

Sportsuser101
03-11-2005, 07:14 PM
how olds flutie now anyways...i got a flutie bills jersey somewhere in my closet, i actually mite bust that out and wear it soon. ha! flutie isnt signing anywhere any time soon, he's too distrout after boston college got upset by west virginia! hahah
I don't think you'll be wearing it soon.. looks like he may go to the Pats.

kgun12
03-11-2005, 07:37 PM
F#@K The mullet! :puke:

When the bills signed him I almost stop being a Bills fan, REALLY. My father-in-law from Michigan called me the day we signed him and I told him I packed all my Bills stuff up and was going to route for another team. The ONLY thing this midget eve did was throw the ball into the endzone and someone for his team happen to catch it! I don't think I have EVER disliked a footbal player or a person more than him! The fakest (?) person I have ever watched!

F#@k the mullet! :puke:

Iehoshua
03-11-2005, 07:41 PM
:down:
:couch:
I meant in a good way!

honey
03-11-2005, 07:56 PM
F#@K The mullet! :puke:

When the bills signed him I almost stop being a Bills fan, REALLY. My father-in-law from Michigan called me the day we signed him and I told him I packed all my Bills stuff up and was going to route for another team. The ONLY thing this midget eve did was throw the ball into the endzone and someone for his team happen to catch it! I don't think I have EVER disliked a footbal player or a person more than him! The fakest (?) person I have ever watched!

F#@k the mullet! :puke:
I like Flutie. :couch:

kgun12
03-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I like Flutie. :couch:

I know you do Honey Sorry! :bow:

honey
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I know you do Honey Sorry! :bow:
:buddies:

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Flutie > Dredsoe :D

:movie:

Michael82
03-11-2005, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes: I guess him shooting off his mouth to the media that we would've won against Tennessee had he played wasn't a slap in the face to everyone who did play that game? But then, if he wasn't a cancer like some of us knew him to be, he wouldn't have shot off his mouth at all.
Flutie :negrep:
I still say that the Bills might have won that game too. Flutie got screwed. He took the team to the playoffs that year and then lost his job over a meaningless game against the colts. It was a bunch of ****! :mad:

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I still say that the Bills might have won that game too. Flutie got screwed. He took the team to the playoffs that year and then lost his job over a meaningless game against the colts. It was a bunch of ****! :mad:

might've is the key..Flutie all but guaranteed we'd win had he played. The only way he could guarantee it would've been to play in Daryl Porter's spot in kickoff coverage on that final play and stayed in his lane to make the tackle...as far as taking the team to the playoffs that year? :rofl: Not hardly...he sucked a good chunk of the year and the defense made up for his screw-ups

The Natrix
03-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Flutie never got screwed. He was barely better than Rob, if at all. Neither of those schmos were good enough for Buffalo, IMO.

mybills
03-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Flutie > Dredsoe :D

:movie:
:eek: This is the first time I've diagreed with you. Flutie didn't have cement shoes. :shakeno:

helmetguy
03-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Think he might be a possibility as our #3 receiver?

(Just thought I'd throw that in there.)

jamze132
03-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Maybe we can bring in Flutie and let him compete with Lindel for the kicking duties. I bet Douglas would give him a run for his money. I mean come on, what CAN'T Flutie do???

mayotm
03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
You people have very short memories. The defense took them to the playoffs that year, not Flutie. Go back and look at the stats. They won despite Flutie's below average performance. Also, I am no Rob Johnson fan, but he did put them in a position to win that playoff game.

DynaPaul
03-12-2005, 09:19 AM
We can sign him and commence World War II: The Flutie-Losman war.

ticatfan
03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
What has the bills done since flutie, jack ****.

Kerr
03-12-2005, 09:58 AM
You people have very short memories. The defense took them to the playoffs that year, not Flutie. Go back and look at the stats. They won despite Flutie's below average performance. Also, I am no Rob Johnson fan, but he did put them in a position to win that playoff game.
What you have to understand is that his fans are going to like no matter what.

I think what you just said though is the best objective answer anyone can give.

Philagape
03-12-2005, 10:04 AM

Worst. Logic. Ever.

Philagape
03-12-2005, 10:08 AM

What has Flutie done since the Bills? Jack ****

Kerr
03-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I must've pissed off a flutie flake because I got negged for my post here.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-12-2005, 09:36 PM

:scratch: :idea: WHY 2 of course the only reason he was number 7 here is because Christie had the #2