PDA

View Full Version : Henry blocking trade......

Mahdi
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Schefter just said on NFLTA that Henry is asking for a 7 Mil SB which is what Lamont Jordan got, and that no one is willing to pay it. I agree that he should be getting what Lamont got and probably more, but if he doesnt lower his demands he'll be a bill unfortunately.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Thats fine with me. Then we will have a solid backup.

Jersey1031
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Thats fine with me. Then we will have a solid backup.

solid backup for a year, and nothing in return when he leaves after his contract expires next year...

Italian Stallion
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
solid backup for a year, and nothing in return when he leaves after his contract expires next year...

Screw it, I'd keep him, and play Shaud Williams as much as possible....Drive his value right into the ground, and he'll be 2 seasons removed from being a capable starter....

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Big deal. Doesn't look like we are going to get much for him this year anyways.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Screw it, I'd keep him, and play Shaud Williams as much as possible....Drive his value right into the ground, and he'll be 2 seasons removed from being a capable starter....
Why the hate? Can you fault Travis for wanting to move on? He bit the bullet last year, now he wants a chance to start again. What is wrong with that?

Mahdi
03-11-2005, 06:29 PM
That does nothing to help our football team though.....

Jersey1031
03-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Why the hate? Can you fault Travis for wanting to move on? He bit the bullet last year, now he wants a chance to start again. What is wrong with that?

nothing at all, but he should be reasonable with his demands so we can get this trade along...

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:30 PM
exactly. I think it would be stupid to play a 3rd string running back over a much better 2nd stringer just to spite him.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
nothing at all, but he should be reasonable with his demands so we can get this trade along...
If Lamont Jordan just got the same contract and henry is a better player I think he is being reasonable.

Italian Stallion
03-11-2005, 06:32 PM

Whats wrong with it is you need to know what you are...and what you arn't..

He is in no position to choose where he wants to go, he's under contract, and isn't of the calabier of Edge, Alexander to have a say in where he lands....The smartest thing for him would be to leave B-Lo and, even if it's for a 1 year contract, play his heart out to earn that big contract....

Why did Lamont Jordan get that kinda money? While I agree that Henry is pretty comparable to him (although jordan is slightly better in my opinion.), he played and was effective in the role he was in last year....Henry---> lost his job to a "rookie" and got "hurt" yet again...Jordan was getting the ball in the playoffs and being effective with it

Italian Stallion
03-11-2005, 06:35 PM
What I'm basically saying is that Henry will only hurt himself by asking for comparable numbers to other backs...why? Because I fully believe that outsiders views on him arn't as high as us Buffalo, or even AFC East people...He will end up back here, and that hurts him more, $$$$ and reputation wise than he may realize right now

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Whats wrong with it is you need to know what you are...and what you arn't..

He is in no position to choose where he wants to go, he's under contract, and isn't of the calabier of Edge, Alexander to have a say in where he lands....The smartest thing for him would be to leave B-Lo and, even if it's for a 1 year contract, play his heart out to earn that big contract....

Why did Lamont Jordan get that kinda money? While I agree that Henry is pretty comparable to him (although jordan is slightly better in my opinion.), he played and was effective in the role he was in last year....Henry---> lost his job to a "rookie" and got "hurt" yet again...Jordan was getting the ball in the playoffs and being effective with it

If Henry is comparable to Jordan and Jordan just got that money what is Henry supposed to think?? Henry is a 2 time 1300 yard rusher. What has Jordan ever done?

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:36 PM
What I'm basically saying is that Henry will only hurt himself by asking for comparable numbers to other backs...why? Because I fully believe that outsiders views on him arn't as high as us Buffalo, or even AFC East people...He will end up back here, and that hurts him more, $$$$ and reputation wise than he may realize right now
I dont disagree with this logic but I can also see why he would ask for what he is asking for.

Bill Brasky
03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Schefter just said on NFLTA that Henry is asking for a 7 Mil SB which is what Lamont Jordan got, and that no one is willing to pay it. I agree that he should be getting what Lamont got and probably more, but if he doesnt lower his demands he'll be a bill unfortunately.

I don't get the fascination with Jordan...

Jersey1031
henry should take what he can get and stop being greedy. his contract should be based on incentives, so he is payed based on his performance...win win for him and team if he plays good, and if he doesnt his own fault.

Italian Stallion
If Henry is comparable to Jordan and Jordan just got that money what is Henry supposed to think?? Henry is a 2 time 1300 yard rusher. What has Jordan ever done?

Jordan has more potential (untapped resource behind Martin) and hasn't had the injuries or fumbles that Henry has had....

He also hasn't lost he job to the guy he claimed he'd "never be a back up to"

Throne Logic
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
At this point it's too late. With both Alexander and James on the trading block for cheap, why would a team go for Henry?

And why do all these RB's have first names for last names?

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
So Jordan has the potential to be a 1500/1600 yard back?? I know the jets have Martin but in the few years previous he was subpar and Jordan never stepped up. He has been in the league just as long as Henry and has never proved anything. He could be decent but I see him as very similar to Travis, a tough runner but never will be a top tier back.

G. Host
03-11-2005, 06:42 PM
They ought to play Henry on special teams making him work for getting qualified for year of service. He asked for and signed fpr the contract when he needed it and now he needs to honor the contract. If agent had lent him the money so he did not need to go back to Bills for an extension he would be a free agent by now.

Jersey1031
03-11-2005, 06:42 PM
And why do all these RB's have first names for last names?

good point...the blame falls on their mothers, but thats besides the point. didnt james' agent say he could be had for a second rounder? what team wont jump on that before henry...thats rite, none.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Thats why we may have Henry back here as the backup. It worked in Pittsburgh with Bettis and Staley.

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 06:45 PM
good point...the blame falls on their mothers,:huh:

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Phil we are trying to talk football here man.

Mahdi
03-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Travis Henry would not be a very intelligent individual if he keeps himself in B-lo. It will not be a good situation for him on the team ,,,,and will waste a year of his NFL career which would make it 2. Im sure Henry and his agent are just trying to get as much as possible.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:53 PM
No you are right he should even talk about an extension and play his ass off next year and get paid but that doesn't look like how it is going down man.

Throne Logic
03-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Bill Polian is the same GM who traded away Marshall for "cheap". Obviously, he knew what he was doing at the time despite the criticism he took for the move. I wonder if Arizona and Buffalo shouldn't get together for a three-way. Edge to AZ, Shelton to Buffalo, and Henry to Indy. Balance things out a bit with some draft picks

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Phil we are trying to talk football here man.

tell that to the guy that made that ridiculous statement :laughter:

Personally, I think Travis is on drugs if he thinks he's worth that after starting off the 2004 season like he did. Had he made that demand before the season, there might've been some takers on them. Besides the fact that he played poorly when he did play in 2004, he's forgotten one major thing...it's a buyer's market when it comes to RBs this offseason...law of supply and demand...supply is higher than demand right now so prices are driven down.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Yes Edge is awesome but lets not forget that Faulk was the best player in the game for a good 3 years and won a superbowl.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Uh oh I see Juice is lurking. :ill:

helmetguy
03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Big difference between the Bettis/Staley and McGahee/Henry situations. Bettis never voiced any resentment about Staley's potential role in Pittsburgh. Henry wasn't at all pleased that McGahee was drafted by the Bills. If Henry were really smart, he'd suck it up a bit, and negotiate from the position that he'd at least have a chance to WIN the starting job, and EARN the big money through performance incentives. If he took that attitude, rather than the "I'm as good or better than Jordan so pay me like it," one, it is probable that he'd attract more interest. As it is now, the view is he's a bitter, sullen, dime-a-dozen RB.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
tell that to the guy that made that ridiculous statement :laughter:

Personally, I think Travis is on drugs if he thinks he's worth that after starting off the 2004 season like he did. Had he made that demand before the season, there might've been some takers on them. Besides the fact that he played poorly when he did play in 2004, he's forgotten one major thing...it's a buyer's market when it comes to RBs this offseason...law of supply and demand...supply is higher than demand right now so prices are driven down.

He is on something but as I have stated before, he is comparable to Jordan so it isn't ridiculous to ask for the same kind of money. It isn't the brightest thing to do obviously.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Big difference between the Bettis/Staley and McGahee/Henry situations. Bettis never voiced any resentment about Staley's potential role in Pittsburgh. Henry wasn't at all pleased that McGahee was drafted by the Bills. If Henry were really smart, he'd suck it up a bit, and negotiate from the position that he'd at least have a chance to WIN the starting job, and EARN the big money through performance incentives. If he took that attitude, rather than the "I'm as good or better than Jordan so pay me like it," one, it is probable that he'd attract more interest. As it is now, the view is he's a bitter, sullen, dime-a-dozen RB.

I didn't say it was the same situation but having a solid backup certaintly worked out well in Pittsburgh last season.

The_Philster
He is on something but as I have stated before, he is comparable to Jordan so it isn't ridiculous to ask for the same kind of money. It isn't the brightest thing to do obviously.

right now it's ridiculous...last offseason it wouldn't be

THATHURMANATOR
No it isn't

The_Philster
03-11-2005, 07:00 PM
No it isn't

Yes it is!! :fury:

paladin warrior
03-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Why the hate? Can you fault Travis for wanting to move on? He bit the bullet last year, now he wants a chance to start again. What is wrong with that? he always hurt cry like baby:cry:

helmetguy
03-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I agree, having a solid backup is a great thing. However, how solid could Henry be if he's sulking? Physically, he nay just be Jordan's equal, or better. His head, though, is like a melon going bad compared to jordan's. Bettis and Jordan, when called upon, answered the bell. In Henry's case, once he was officially the backup, merely went through the motions when it was his turn on the field; and it showed. Jordan's attitude made him desireable, just as Henry's is turning him into a pariah.

Throne Logic
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes Edge is awesome but lets not forget that Faulk was the best player in the game for a good 3 years and won a superbowl.

Faulk didn't have a Superbowl ring when Polian made that trade. He took his play to a whole new level after that trade to St Louis.

Iehoshua
03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree, having a solid backup is a great thing. However, how solid could Henry be if he's sulking? Physically, he nay just be Jordan's equal, or better. His head, though, is like a melon going bad compared to jordan's. Bettis and Jordan, when called upon, answered the bell. In Henry's case, once he was officially the backup, merely went through the motions when it was his turn on the field; and it showed. Jordan's attitude made him desireable, just as Henry's is turning him into a pariah.
:up:

Excellent post. Agreed...

capitolneal
03-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Last night I was playbook and they were saying that a league source said the Bills were asking for a first round pick for henry, and that was really cooling the other teams off. As far as I see it we don't have to trade him we get a yrs use out of him and if willis goes down we have a proven back so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him. Just don't give him away this is a soft draft and we got enough of the players with the dreaded (P) next to thier names Henry is proven and we might need him

Dozerdog
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Not necisarially- If the Bills don't go out and acquire some free agents next offseason- IE- use their cap space to retain who they already have- then if they lose Henry they might get a compensatory piick for him- and depending what he signs for it could be as high as a 3rd round pick.

mybills
03-11-2005, 08:55 PM
1400+ :D

Throne Logic
03-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Last night I was playbook and they were saying that a league source said the Bills were asking for a first round pick for henry, and that was really cooling the other teams off. As far as I see it we don't have to trade him we get a yrs use out of him and if willis goes down we have a proven back so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him. Just don't give him away this is a soft draft and we got enough of the players with the dreaded (P) next to thier names Henry is proven and we might need him

TD may have overplayed his hand here. I have a feeling he was aiming high in case someone bit with plans to lower his asking price as time passed. However, with Alexander and James now available via trade, I think TD outsmarted himself this time.

You also made a good point about this being a weaker draft. If we have the opportunity to obtain a needed player via a trade for draft picks, I think TD should make the move (i.e. Dennis Green has made it known he wants picks - perhaps for Shelton?)

Billsouth
03-12-2005, 02:10 PM
i think we should keep henry and franchise his ass next year so he can sit the bench again. :pissed:

mysticsoto
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
I've read alot here about everyone complaining that if WM goes down, Shaud isn't a good, capable backup that will last a whole season. So if TH stays, that solves the problem - and yet people are still complaining about it. If TH stays, TD doesn't have to spend a pick to get a "studlier" backup - for which he can then use the pick to fill in needed depth at other positions. And yes, we do lose TH next year, but keeping him allows us to draft at perhaps another needed position (maybe CB) and then next year we can worry about getting a better backup for WM - although personally, Shaud impressed me last year and I think he's very capable...

Is this one of those, people complain no matter what type of scenario???

Dozerdog
03-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I've read alot here about everyone complaining that if WM goes down, Shaud isn't a good, capable backup that will last a whole season. So if TH stays, that solves the problem - and yet people are still complaining about it. If TH stays, TD doesn't have to spend a pick to get a "studlier" backup - for which he can then use the pick to fill in needed depth at other positions. And yes, we do lose TH next year, but keeping him allows us to draft at perhaps another needed position (maybe CB) and then next year we can worry about getting a better backup for WM - although personally, Shaud impressed me last year and I think he's very capable...

Pretty much.

Throne Logic
03-12-2005, 10:39 PM

Damned if you do . . .

Even if TD puts together a Superbowl Champion team, someone's going to ***** about something.

What some folks are forgetting is that if TH is "stuck" in Buffalo, that makes him something of a lame duck who's going to be seeking a new contract somewhere next year as an FA. Doesn't that imply that he's going to bust his rump to do as much as possible with the limited time he's going to have to showcase his abilities? AZ balked at giving Henry a big contract in part, I'm sure, due to the limited productivity he had starting off the season in 2004. TH has something to prove.

Mahdi
03-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Damned if you do . . .

Even if TD puts together a Superbowl Champion team, someone's going to ***** about something.

What some folks are forgetting is that if TH is "stuck" in Buffalo, that makes him something of a lame duck who's going to be seeking a new contract somewhere next year as an FA. Doesn't that imply that he's going to bust his rump to do as much as possible with the limited time he's going to have to showcase his abilities? AZ balked at giving Henry a big contract in part, I'm sure, due to the limited productivity he had starting off the season in 2004. TH has something to prove.
TH clearly does not want to be in B-lo and im sure the bills are trying to get him traded. I would not want a player in the locker room who doesnt want to be there, its not good for the team morale. I would rather have a guy who is comes in and plays hard for the Buffalo Bills and not for a big fat payday at the end of the year. JMO

Throne Logic
03-13-2005, 01:33 AM
TH clearly does not want to be in B-lo and im sure the bills are trying to get him traded. I would not want a player in the locker room who doesnt want to be there, its not good for the team morale. I would rather have a guy who is comes in and plays hard for the Buffalo Bills and not for a big fat payday at the end of the year. JMO

That's a valid concern. However, don't let the media filtered facts tell the whole story. Henry wants to start. You certainly cannot blame him for that desire. He knows he has little to no chance to start ahead of Willis for a number of reasons. Therefore, TH has requested a trade. Perfectly normal progression. Now, TH has, time and again, proven that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So, I cut him some slack in regards to his communication skills. The AZ trade-blocking maneauver wasn't his brightest moment either (you have to wonder what the heck his agent was doing).

Ultimately, I don't see TH as being a cancer in the locker room. He'll have way too much riding on next season to not be focusing on what he needs to do. But hey, maybe there are a few rocks up in that noggin that I haven't yet counted.

Obviously, if a trade option presents itself, then TD should jump on it. It would likely be a win-win for all parties involved.