• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

For all you guys that want to draft Nugent

you have until Monday 9:00 am
    http://www.buffalobills.com/fans/AskHimYourself.jsp
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Q - Mr. Donahoe, we are really excited about the possibility of you drafting a kicker in the second round... do you think it is a possibility of taking a kicker on day one of the draft?

A - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... just a second.. hold on.. you said a kicker on day one of the draft when we only have 2 picks.. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.. thats a good one.. i gotta tell ralph and tommy mo about that one.. your a hell of a comedian.. your probably the guy that is *****ing on message boards about our OLine.. but you want us to take a kicker.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

TD pull the trigger... Draft Nugent day 1 and automarically win 2 to 3 additional games next season.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by draz54
        TD pull the trigger... Draft Nugent day 1 and automarically win 2 to 3 additional games next season.

How?

Did we miss 2 or 3 last second field goals?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          How?

Did we miss 2 or 3 last second field goals?
          We missed 1 I think and it was a short one. Consider also that we either missed or failed to attempt several very makeable FG's in our 1st 4 losses.

No attempts less than 20 yards.

We were 13 of 14 between 20 and 29 yards.

We were 10 of 11 between 30 and 39 yards.

We were 1 of 3 between 40 and 49 yards.

No attempts greater than 49 yards.

What really hurt us is the 3 or 4 times when we either punted or failed on 4th down because a FG attempt would have been over 40 yards.

That's not to mention the good field position for our opponents due to short or misdirected kicks.

Honestly... can't you see 2 or 3 more wins last year if we had a competent kicker?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

No I can't-

We missed 4 field goals all year.

Jacksonville- If we don't get nailed for holding with 2 minutes remaining- or if we knock down any of the 3 4th down passes- or if Moulds doesn't fumble inside the red zone on a drive...or if the stupid screen pass to moulds wasn't a botched backward pass thet Jax recovered......

Oakland- If the refs give us Henry's TD at the goal line

Baltimore- Our defense dominated in that game, yet we lost because of 4 interceptions.

Patriots - Game 1 our defense could not stop the Pat's big plays- and we lost when Bledsoe fumbled down by 7. How did a kicker affect that one?

Patriots II- the whole team didn't show up.

Jets- Again we fail to stop a late drive with a lead

Steelers- Second and third stringers walk all over our team. The missed FG didn't factor in the final score. We still would have lost.

Where do you get 2-3 more games?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

It sounds like you want a magical kicker that will rectify all the other team mistakes.

Do we have a great kicker?

No

Would I like one?

Absolutely

Am I going to use a day 1 pick on one?

Not if I doan't have very many picks in the draft, and if I have more holes to fill with the 2nd and 3rd round selections

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

No I can't-

We missed 4 field goals all year.

Jacksonville- If we don't get nailed for holding with 2 minutes remaining- or if we knock down any of the 3 4th down passes- or if Moulds doesn't fumble inside the red zone on a drive...or if the stupid screen pass to moulds wasn't a botched backward pass thet Jax recovered......

Oakland- If the refs give us Henry's TD at the goal line

Baltimore- Our defense dominated in that game, yet we lost because of 4 interceptions.

Patriots - Game 1 our defense could not stop the Pat's big plays- and we lost when Bledsoe fumbled down by 7. How did a kicker affect that one?

Patriots II- the whole team didn't show up.

Jets- Again we fail to stop a late drive with a lead

Steelers- Second and third stringers walk all over our team. The missed FG didn't factor in the final score. We still would have lost.

Where do you get 2-3 more games?
                Due to the fact that I clearly explained it to you, it looks to me like you simply want to ignore the fact that we didn't even attempt many FG's over 40 yards because (with RL) the percentages were better to go for it on 4th or punt. 33% from 40 to 49 yards was 34th in the NFL.

You mentioned that we only missed 4 FG's... It would have been much more if he attempted those others from beyond 40... 3 attempts from 40 to 49 yards was 30th in the NFL.

Gee... Do you think 3 points would have made a difference against JAX, OAK, NYJ or maybe even PITTS?

BTW... those stats I gave for 2004 are not just a fluke... Here's 2003...
                3 of 7, 42.9% from 40 to 49 yards was 33rd in the NFL.
                7 attempts from 40 to 49 yards was 26th in the NFL.
                0 of 2 beyond 49 yards was 31st in the NFL.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

I sent him a letter to tell him that I think it would be nuts drafting a Kicker on the first day.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

OK- then how many times did we go for it on 4th and whatever, or just punt- when we had the ball between the 23 and 33 yard lines? (40 -49 yd fg attempt)

What was the NFL average in those situations?

What were the game situations? Help me out here- I don't recall very many games where we deliberately chose to go for it or punt when we would have kicked a FG if anyone other than Lindell were our kicker.

Jacksonville with under 2 minutes left? Any coach would punt in that situation and put it in the hands of their defense to defend 90 yards rather than risk giving Jax the ball at midfield.

Why were the attempts not made? Wind? Clock & scoreboard? Gimmie examples- not stats that frame your argument in a better light.

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

This is really kind of funny. As soon as BB.com posted the link to ask Donahoe a question, I asked him about the kicker situation in Buffalo.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

OK- then how many times did we go for it on 4th and whatever, or just punt- when we had the ball between the 23 and 33 yard lines? (40 -49 yd fg attempt)

What was the NFL average in those situations?

What were the game situations? Help me out here- I don't recall very many games where we deliberately chose to go for it or punt when we would have kicked a FG if anyone other than Lindell were our kicker.

Jacksonville with under 2 minutes left? Any coach would punt in that situation and put it in the hands of their defense to defend 90 yards rather than risk giving Jax the ball at midfield.

Why were the attempts not made? Wind? Clock & scoreboard? Gimmie examples- not stats that frame your argument in a better light.
                        Just use a little common sense. Do you really expect me to spend hours digging up that info? It's pretty clear to anybody who has any memory at all concerning last season. You obviously have some memory yourself based on the game info you've provided in this thread.

I will tell you this much... The Bills were 10 of 21 on 4th down attempts which is 31st most attempts in the NFL. That certainly does lean toward my conclusion.

Believe the info or don't... it's no skin off my @ss.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                          • Feb 2005

All but 2 of the kickers in the league were not drafted on day 1. We will find our kicker without looking like idiots by using our 1st pick on a kicker.
                          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                            All but 2 of the kickers in the league were not drafted on day 1. We will find our kicker without looking like idiots by using our 1st pick on a kicker.
                            Finally, some freaking common sense!

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

guys.. no worries.. there is zero possibility that we draft a kicker.. just keep laughing at the guys that have realy convinced themselves that there is no reason that only 2 nfl kickers are day one picks..

and nugent isnt even as good as jano was in college.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X