PDA

View Full Version : Hamister needs Government Aid to Close Deal

Sabre Ally
12-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Hamister wants aid package to buy Sabres (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021207/1013144.asp)

From the Buffalo News 12/7/02

ALBANY - Businessman Mark E. Hamister wants a major financial aid package from the state and local governments in order for his partnership to buy the Buffalo Sabres, government officials confirmed Friday.

(some sections skipped, please see entire article in link above)

Mayor Anthony M. Masiello said Friday that key advisers of his administration who were at the meeting with Hamister were told "that it appears government assistance is going to have to happen to make this thing work."

By contrast, sources have described B. Thomas Golisano's offer to buy the Sabres as lower than Hamister's but not contingent on government assistance.

Hamister's request for government assistance comes as the state faces a $10 billion budget shortfall over the next 16 months and the budgets of the county and city are stretched thin.

MissBuffalo
12-07-2002, 04:36 PM
How are they going to make this work with such a big deficit??

Sabre Ally
12-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Beats me. Kinda makes you wonder what was in Golisano's deal, eh?

RedEyE
12-07-2002, 05:10 PM
I guess there will be a lot of knob slobbering going on then over the next few months.

Sabre Ally
12-07-2002, 05:13 PM
knob slobbering. do I really want to know what that is?

RedEyE
12-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Knob Slobbering ~ A political term for fellatio.

SABURZFAN
12-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
knob slobbering. do I really want to know what that is?

well.....:biggrin: you tell us.

Ð
12-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Yep, your hard earned tax dollars can go to some millionaire's new Jag :rolleyes:

BillC
12-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Man... good thing I got mine from an intern and not some guy begging for a hockey team.....

RedEyE
12-07-2002, 06:52 PM
:lol:

Buffarama
12-07-2002, 07:15 PM
So the political connection surfaces..........

Golisano is a cheap bastard. He had enough money to blow 60 million on a useless GOV attempt, but he couldn't match Hammister's deal?
You lost my vote forever TOM.

RedEyE
12-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama

Golisano is a cheap bastard. He had enough money to blow 60 million on a useless GOV attempt, but he couldn't match Hammister's deal?

Good point. Iwasn't looking at it that way.

clumping platelets
12-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Hamister is Giambra's buddy. Both are Republicans. Pataki is Republican....Golisano was running AGAINST Pataki for the Gubna's mansion.

My problem: Why are we only now finding out about how many million$$$ Hamister wants.....wasn't it a part of the proposal?

Something smells fishy and it ain't because of :squish:

Judge
12-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama

Bad point, actually- maybe Hamister's bid was inflated by the public handout money he anticipates receiving, whereas Golisano's bid was a fair market value that didn't need any public handouts. Considering how Golisano campaigned on less government, I'd doubt he would ask for public bailouts to buy the Sabres.

Who knows? Unless you know the answer to this, I have to respectfully disagree with your point.

Sabre Ally
12-07-2002, 10:50 PM
Well, the article does say

By contrast, sources have described B. Thomas Golisano's offer to buy the Sabres as lower than Hamister's but not contingent on government assistance.

so judging by that I'd say that Golisano's offer was purely based on what he had, not on what he thought he could get.

Judge
12-08-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
Well, the article does say

so judging by that I'd say that Golisano's offer was purely based on what he had, not on what he thought he could get.

See?

Golisano deserves credit for that, not blame.

LouGrant
12-08-2002, 09:35 AM
This sounds great!

Next up-
Food stamps redeemable at the concession stands....

Nachos dipped in free government cheese....:baghead:

clumping platelets
12-08-2002, 09:41 AM
:hungry:

Sabre Ally
12-08-2002, 03:26 PM
I agree Clump.....:hungry: nachos.......anyone wanna go see Theo on Friday? :teeth:

Buffarama
12-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Bad point, actually- maybe Hamister's bid was inflated by the public handout money he anticipates receiving, whereas Golisano's bid was a fair market value that didn't need any public handouts. Considering how Golisano campaigned on less government, I'd doubt he would ask for public bailouts to buy the Sabres.

Who knows? Unless you know the answer to this, I have to respectfully disagree with your point.

Well certainly Golisano knew he was going to lose his bid for Governor. Certainly he knew that Pataki would never help him. Certainly he knew that Hamister was in with Pataki. Certainly he could buy the team for 90 million in cash if he wanted to, let alone 45 -50. Certainly he knew it was not a money maker before he got involved. So in my conclusion to his actions, he certainly did it for political exposure, and was disengenuine from the very beginning, because if he really wanted it, he could have afforded it. He afforded throwing 60 million away running for Governor.

Feel free to disagree, it's your right :)