PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoe Speaks...

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
some very interesting notes here..

on the salary cap:

Patrick Freeman (Buffalo, NY): What about the Bills salary cap. Is this preventing you from signing other free agents, and will you have to release any more players, or renegotiate any more contracts to free up additional space. ESPN reporter the Bills are just $652,000 under the cap.

TD: There has been much information and misinformation about the salary cap. The salary cap is somewhat like the stock market in that an individual team's salary cap can change almost daily depending on the moves that you make. Our current cap situation would not prevent us from signing any player that we are interested in. We have the flexibility and the ability to create room when it is necessary. The most important thing that you try to do with the cap is to be flexible and manage the cap on a daily basis. May I also remind you that ESPN said last week that we were on the verge of signing Floyd Womack. The best advice we can give you is don't always believe what you read.

thought it was funny to see him mention espn reporting on womack..

Joe Cumbo (Rochester, NY): Why didn't you even make a lowball offer to Jonas Jennings? You said he was asking for too much but he said you guys never even offered him anything. Who are you going to find to replace him at the most crucial position on the offensive line?

TD: Last summer during training camp we did make a significant offer to Jonas' agent. His agent told us at the time they were looking for a double-digit signing bonus which we were not going to do in training camp, during the season or after the season. We will continue to look at ways to add and upgrade our offensive line. There are many prospects in the upcoming draft that our scouts and coaches are very excited about.

now you know were our new LT will be coming from.. damn it :sad:

Brett Bobak (Webster, NY): What is your snapshot evaluation of the offensive line right now? Where do we need to improve, if at all?

TD: Our snapshot evaluation of the offensive line is that of a unit that continues to improve while undergoing changes in personnel. We would like to be able to settle on our five starters this spring and develop consistency within the line. We should also point out that our line played very well last year and made tremendous strides under the direction of coach Jim McNally and coach Frank Verducci. As an offense, we rushed for 1,874 yards, which was a 3.9 average with 15 touchdowns. Offensively our sack totals were cut from 51 in 2003 to 37 in 2004. Our offensive line seems to get a lot of media attention, but we feel good about the players we have, some young players who are developing, and the potential to add to our line whether it's through free agents like Mike Gandy or offensive line prospects in the upcoming draft.

this is what i was hoping NOT to see.. but it looks like TD is happy with status quo and a few draft picks. i hope to god he spends the first 2 picks on OLineman and Mcnally helps him pick out some winners.. Jonas was the only good one he has picked so far.

i really dont feel much better after reading all of that.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3131

Iehoshua
03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
After reading this, I am expecting to see a "Lions sign Demulling" headline very soon...
:sadwalk:

Dicknoze69
03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
TD is the master at answering a question without really saying anything.

helmetguy
03-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Could it be that TD mentioned ESPN because the questioner mentioned ESPN? Nah, that would be too obvious.

As for the O-line. How DOES one go about making "upgrades?" Does one overpay for FAs that other teams can no longer afford (see SF's deal with Jennings) or does one elevate a backup to the starting role? If I recall, there were many tears shed and many ulcers fomented during last offseason's Bober Beauty Contest. Different names, same gnashing of teeth.

EDS
03-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I hate trying to read into these things, but it sounds like TD wants to develop a young line that will be together for a number of years, so 30 year old lineman need not apply.

Italian Stallion
03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
TD also drafted Willis McGahee when we had a pro bowl running back, and said that both Adams and Spikes were out of our price range...I think he carefully selects what he says and sometimes hides intrest in certian players

Mudflap1
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Not good.

Jon

Typ0
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
at least 50% smoke and mirrors at this point in the off-season.

ryjam282
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM
TD also drafted Willis McGahee when we had a pro bowl running back, and said that both Adams and Spikes were out of our price range...I think he carefully selects what he says and sometimes hides intrest in certian players

Very good points....Let's hope Demulling makes his decision very soon. The suspense is killing me....Maybe we could make a run at Norman Hand, if he is cheap.

Mudflap1
03-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah, for sure there's a lot of smoke and mirrors. However, the truth is this team has a considerable amount of work to do in order to be a real contender.

I'm glad he said that the team has enough wiggle room in the cap to sign whomever they wanted, that was good.

And maybe he's bluffing (God I hope he is!), but to say that the O-line as is is pretty solid is a mega-overstatement in my opinion. There have been a lot of squabblings between us all on here about the line, but I think we're all in agreement that as it stands right now, the line isn't what you would call 'vaunted' by any means.

I hope he's bluffing and we get DeMulling and/or a solid LT, and/or draft some good prospects.

This of course in addition to needs at TE, 3rd WR, DT, K, backup RB (assuming Henry goes).

Jon

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I hate trying to read into these things, but it sounds like TD wants to develop a young line that will be together for a number of years, so 30 year old lineman need not apply.

you mean like teague and villareal?

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
You are all panicing because he didn't come out and say he was going to sign any offensive linemen. In the same set of questions, he also said: "Don't always believe what you read." Within the next few days, we will see "Bills sign Demulling." I guarantee it.

Mudflap1
03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe Tom Donahoe hasn't realized yet that MIKE Gandy and WAYNE Gandy are different players...

LOL

Jon

EDS
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of new acquisitions. Seems to me the Bills have as much offensive line talent as the Giant team that went to the SuperBowl a few years ago.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
You are all panicing because he didn't come out and say he was going to sign any offensive linemen. In the same set of questions, he also said: "Don't always believe what you read." Within the next few days, we will see "Bills sign Demulling." I guarantee it.

i would be extatic about demulling if he was a tackle.. but he is not.

:sad:

we are gonna have a rookie protecting a first year qbs blind side.

jamze132
03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I hope we draft a kicker! I don't care what he said about Lindel. Maybe it's a smokescreen!!!!!! :pray:

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
or teague.. which is worse.

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
i would be extatic about demulling if he was a tackle.. but he is not.

:sad:

we are gonna have a rookie protecting a first year qbs blind side.
No we're not. Here's the o-line next year. There are 2 possibilities:

LT- Teague
LG-Demulling
C-Tucker or 2nd rounder
RG- Villarial
RT- Williams

Other possibility:

LT- Shelton/McDougle
LG- Tucker
C- Teague
RG- Villarial
RT- Williams

****Neither are bad lines at all. The first one is probably better but both are improvements over last year IMO.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of new acquisitions. Seems to me the Bills have as much offensive line talent as the Giant team that went to the SuperBowl a few years ago.
great.. so we are expecting mcnally to work miracles again.. it was mcnally himself who said not to expect miracles..

you cant turn chicken **** into chicken salad.

Mr. Cynical
03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
If TT is our LT next year, I will bet 100zbs he gives up at least 8 sacks.

He is NOT an option. We need to get a FA or draft one.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
No we're not. Here's the o-line next year. There are 2 possibilities:

LT- Teague
LG-Demulling
C-Tucker or 2nd rounder
RG- Villarial
RT- Williams

Other possibility:

LT- Shelton/McDougle
LG- Tucker
C- Teague
RG- Villarial
RT- Williams

****Neither are bad lines at all. The first one is probably better but both are improvements over last year IMO.

if you are happy with teague at LT, and Tucker at center.. i guess we have a totaly different idea as to what "good" or "better" really is.

is that line better than pucillo at guard and jason peters at tackle? yeah.. it is better.. is it better than the majority of the nfl? not by a long shot.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
If TT is our LT next year, I will bet 100zbs he gives up at least 8 sacks.

He is NOT an option. We need to get a FA or draft one.

agreed..

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2005, 05:50 PM
if you are happy with teague at LT, and Tucker at center.. i guess we have a totaly different idea as to what "good" or "better" really is.

is that line better than pucillo at guard and jason peters at tackle? yeah.. it is better.. is it better than the majority of the nfl? not by a long shot.
Two words: Jim McNally.

ScottLawrence
03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
now you know were our new LT will be coming from.. damn it

I'd be much happier with a 2nd round pick starting at LT then Teague.

Teague would not be an option at the position two years down the road, I would like to see us develop a young offensive line, and drafting a Tackle would be a good move, if we don't end up trading for Shelton.(Im still holding out hope)

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I'd be much happier with a 2nd round pick starting at LT then Teague.

Teague would not be an option at the position two years down the road, I would like to see us develop a young offensive line, and drafting a Tackle would be a good move, if we don't end up trading for Shelton.(Im still holding out hope)
I wouldn't. Rookie tackles are a disaster. At least Teague has experience over there.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Two words: Jim McNally.

i know who your talking about.. he is the guy who said dont expect miracles.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't. Rookie tackles are a disaster. At least Teague has experience over there.

experience giving up sacks.. 11.25 to be exact.. in his only season as a starting LT.. and they didnt bring him back.. big surprise.

by the way.. he had a great oline coach there at the time too..

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM
i know who your talking about.. he is the guy who said dont expect miracles.
He's being modest. We got miracles last year. That's for damn sure. 14 sacks in the final 9 games with Drew Bledsoe at QB? Anoint the man a Saint now. I expect the same great things from him this year.

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
while i agree.. it is relivant to look at the level of competition in those games..

we played weaker teams .. alot of them we got leads on and pounded the ball.. drew threw less.. less sacks.

ScottLawrence
03-14-2005, 06:15 PM

I thought Jennings was a very good tackle in his rookie year.

Mr. Cynical
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
while i agree.. it is relivant to look at the level of competition in those games..

we played weaker teams .. alot of them we got leads on and pounded the ball.. drew threw less.. less sacks.
Yep.

TigerJ
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
TD is the master at answering a question without really saying anything.

He could be a presidential press secretary!

Tatonka
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I thought Jennings was a very good tackle in his rookie year.

your right.. he was excellent.. he started 12 games and gave up no sacks.. but he was a RT.. pretty big difference than LT against the other teams best pass rusher.

kgun12
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
WOW!!! At the being of FA TD was a goat, made a couple of move was a hero AGAIN, it's been quite for awhile and were back to goat. Everyone chill out, atleast wait til the end of the FA and the draft, see what happens! :shocked:

Remember this is the man most of us say we wouldn't want to play poker with, well lets see who is holding the most chip when all is said and done! My money is on TD! :bow:

mysticsoto
03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
WOW!!! At the being of FA TD was a goat, made a couple of move was a hero AGAIN, it's been quite for awhile and were back to goat. Everyone chill out, atleast wait til the end of the FA and the draft, see what happens! :shocked:

Remember this is the man most of us say we wouldn't want to play poker with, well lets see who is holding the most chip when all is said and done! My money is on TD! :bow:
Unfortunately, alot of people here are the overreacting or panicing type. I'd expect that behavior during camp - or maybe even after camp. But a month and a half after the superbowl of the previous year???

I sort of tune it out right now. There's a certain select group of posters that are pessimistic and always see things in a negative sense. :wail: They cry that the sky is falling every week. And I guess they post to vent. Hey, if it stops them from going postal on their families and work companions...just let them and ignore their posts. :knock:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I have an idea! Let's bring back John Fina! Or maybe Howard Ballard? Surely they are better than anyone else we might find through the draft or free agency.

Come on guys....can we at least have a little patience here? Don't forget that young players make leaps all the time. You can pretty much bank on at least one of our young o-linemen impressing the hell out of everybody at training camp. The young guys work their asses off...and all the great ones were young once too.

Don't equate experience, draft level, and prestige with productivity.....those factors all too often have no impact.

Let the guys prove themselves on the field...and then panick in August if you want...but give em a shot.
We can always pick up a tackle late in the preseason. Left tackles are easier to plug in than interior linemen and right tackles as they do much less pulling/downblocking etc.

Don't worry...we will be fine.

Drive 4 Five
03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
great.. so we are expecting mcnally to work miracles again.. it was mcnally himself who said not to expect miracles..

you cant turn chicken **** into chicken salad.

You got a point T, but in the past, offensive lineman were generally picked in later rounds and developed over the years. The high premium placed on offensive lineman now is due to the pressure in this league to win "now". You can't underestimate the power of good coaching. Maybe it will work out. No one can argue that the Bill's line did not make significant improvements last year. So why should this year be any different? There is no need to go and overpay for a player like Jennings or any other lineman for that matter. I think we'll be good bro and at least Losman can escape.

colin
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
i think if we don't sign a decent LT, MW will be our LT.

i could see us getting a rook RT or signing one, and just dropping MW on the left side.

i thought that signing would be womack, but it could be someone else

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 09:25 AM
You got a point T, but in the past, offensive lineman were generally picked in later rounds and developed over the years. The high premium placed on offensive lineman now is due to the pressure in this league to win "now". You can't underestimate the power of good coaching. Maybe it will work out. No one can argue that the Bill's line did not make significant improvements last year. So why should this year be any different? There is no need to go and overpay for a player like Jennings or any other lineman for that matter. I think we'll be good bro and at least Losman can escape.

while i am not disputing the fact that mcnally is a great coach.. the sack numbers decreased for alot of reasons besides great coaching.. we played weak opponents, got leads and didnt pass nearly as much, ect..

i just dont want us to get into next season and realize we are screwed because our oline is terrible.. willis rushes for 3.1 yards a gain, and jp gets killed every game and looks like feely by seasons end.

Drive 4 Five
03-15-2005, 09:31 AM
while i am not disputing the fact that mcnally is a great coach.. the sack numbers decreased for alot of reasons besides great coaching.. we played weak opponents, got leads and didnt pass nearly as much, ect..

i just dont want us to get into next season and realize we are screwed because our oline is terrible.. willis rushes for 3.1 yards a gain, and jp gets killed every game and looks like feely by seasons end.

It is a scary thought for damn sure. Just trying to stay positive bro. :peace:

Looking on the bright side of things, at least we won't have to put up with Bledsoe's sorry ass anymore.

:gobills:

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 09:34 AM
which will make the season more enjoyable by default.

juice
03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, alot of people here are the overreacting or panicing type. I'd expect that behavior during camp - or maybe even after camp. But a month and a half after the superbowl of the previous year???

I sort of tune it out right now. There's a certain select group of posters that are pessimistic and always see things in a negative sense. :wail: They cry that the sky is falling every week. And I guess they post to vent. Hey, if it stops them from going postal on their families and work companions...just let them and ignore their posts. :knock:That overreation might have something to do with not having seen the Post-Season since TD started calling the shots. He said the O-Line would be fixed last year but he failed to make any substantial upgrades in the off-season.