PDA

View Full Version : Who/what is TD clearing cap space for?

Jeff1220
03-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Who do you think is the reason for the releases over the past few days?

clumping platelets
03-15-2005, 08:18 AM
He will need to do some more in order to sign any of the players mentioned.

generalmills
03-15-2005, 08:29 AM
I think that this money will go directly towards the "keep Nate in Buffalo" fund.

bigbub2352
03-15-2005, 08:34 AM
i agree i see them using this money to sign nate clements and our draft picks, If the Buffalo news is correct mike williams is about to restructure and bye bye to Coy Wire, then maybe Demulling and Mcdougale otherwise that is about it

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-15-2005, 08:36 AM
How about Marcus Price? I bet we go cheap on Olinemen as usual...

clumping platelets
03-15-2005, 08:37 AM
I prefer signing DeMulling, extending Nate, and drafting a OT

BuffaloRanger
03-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Nate will not sign with Buffalo. No way. He's the "Playmaker". He's looking for a big payday.

TD is clearing room because people on this message board want more cap space. He's doing it for the fans. J/K

clumping platelets
03-15-2005, 08:49 AM
TD has shown a willingness to re-sign young UFAs IF they are considered worthy of the money.

Eric Moulds rec'd market value to re-sign in 2001
(Passed on Marcellus Wiley :phew: )

Signed Takeo Spikes to market value deal as transition FA in 2003

He passed on Jennings because he wanted near market value but is only a slightly above average LT

He made a fair offer to Pat Williams that was turned down

I really believe that Nate will be re-signing. The CB market is well defined and he is worthy of a near market value deal. ($11-$13 million signing bonus)

Drive 4 Five
03-15-2005, 09:00 AM
TD has shown a willingness to re-sign young UFAs IF they are considered worthy of the money.

He passed on Jennings because he wanted near market value but is only a slightly above average LT

I really believe that Nate will be re-signing. The CB market is well defined and he is worthy of a near market value deal. ($11-$13 million signing bonus)

I agree and...if we can sign him to an extension now, we will avoid having to compete with teams who will offer ridiculous amounts of money. Smart move T.

EDS
03-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Aaron Schobel is another good example. TD definitely will pay top dollar for good players - just not average players.

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 09:11 AM
mike williams is another good example!

:couch:

Dozerdog
03-15-2005, 09:16 AM

The big difference is that MW got fair market value for being a #4 pick, If he were up fora contract now I'll bet it would be a much different scenario.

EDS
03-15-2005, 09:17 AM

The contract Mike Williams received is the same contract that any number 4 pick would receive, so not sure what your point is.

Billsouth
03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I think he is clearing cap room so that we can draft. we have to be able to pay our picks. i still dont understand where the 14 million dollars went. someone please explain. certainly it did not all go to excalators for nate and big mike.

clumping platelets
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I think he is clearing cap room so that we can draft. we have to be able to pay our picks. i still dont understand where the 14 million dollars went. someone please explain. certainly it did not all go to excalators for nate and big mike.

I have many times :ill:

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
The big difference is that MW got fair market value for being a #4 pick, If he were up fora contract now I'll bet it would be a much different scenario.

The contract Mike Williams received is the same contract that any number 4 pick would receive, so not sure what your point is.

i was just being an ass, really..

i had no point.. :D

Ickybaluky
03-15-2005, 09:28 AM

That is 2nd-tier CB money, especially for a guy in his mid-twenties.

The top-end of the CB market has been set by Champ Bailey (7-year/$63M/$18M SB) and Chris McAlister (7-year/$55M/$17.5M SB).

I don't know whether Clements considers himself in the Bailey/McAlister group or the Smoot/Henry/Baxter group, but I'm willing to bet his agent is pushing for the higher-level.

mysticsoto
03-15-2005, 09:29 AM
I have many times :ill:
Maybe if you used sock puppets...

Dicknoze69
03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
That is 2nd-tier CB money, especially for a guy in his mid-twenties.

The top-end of the CB market has been set by Champ Bailey (7-year/$63M/$18M SB) and Chris McAlister (7-year/$55M/$17.5M SB).

I don't know whether Clements considers himself in the Bailey/McAlister group or the Smoot/Henry/Baxter group, but I'm willing to bet his agent is pushing for the higher-level.

Ugh, I was hoping no one would mention that and his agent would conveniently forget that.

I'm betting he wants $15-18 SB to re-sign.

Michael82
03-15-2005, 10:26 AM
No matter what, after reading TD's Q&A from yesterday where he said that he can free up money when it is needed...I believe that he is definitely up to something. My guess is that he's working on a contract with Rick DeMulling and is going to do everything possible to fix the OL with him and maybe even the trade for LJ Shelton. This could also be one of his surprises...he might be working on a deal to solidify our secondary with a fair contract with Ty Law. With TD, you never know. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! :D

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2005, 10:32 AM
When I throw out garbage, it doesn't always mean I'm going to buy something new.

jamze132
03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Some of you people read into things too much. Why do we call it "clearing cap space" when we release a player who isn't playing as well as he should for that kind of money. It's not like Pierson was going to start and no way in hell should we pay a back up over $1 mil!!! Just because we cut somone who made over a million, doesn't always mean that Donahoe "has something up his sleeve". He just made a smart move for the roster and the cap. Thats all. Now I am sure I have offended someone, so sorry.

Michael82
03-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Some of you people read into things too much. Why do we call it "clearing cap space" when we release a player who isn't playing as well as he should for that kind of money. It's not like Pierson was going to start and no way in hell should we pay a back up over $1 mil!!! Just because we cut somone who made over a million, doesn't always mean that Donahoe "has something up his sleeve". He just made a smart move for the roster and the cap. Thats all. Now I am sure I have offended someone, so sorry.
what about the fact that he's working on restructuring/extending Mike Williams deal? He's freeing up money for something. I have no doubt about that. it may not be right away but it will be within the next week or so.

ryjam282
03-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I think he id definitely freeing up the space for something. I mean, if he was looking to sign someone then he could just let it all count this year and not stretch it out to count in future years. Get it off the books this season.

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 10:42 AM
maybe he is clearing more cap space for hookers.

Mudflap1
03-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I predict a multi-year signing of Kendall Gammons and Marcellus Rivers, or to hire some more assistants for himself so he can do even less work. With Gammons, Rivers, Neufeld, Trafford, Campbell, Euhus, and Peters at TE we'd certainly have the 'Magnificent Seven' that we'd need at tight end in order to be a Super Bowl contender...... j/k.

Seriously though, he probably IS clearing up room for something. My guess is it's too early for the draft, if he was clearing up room for that, it would likely be in May or June, so it's probably some sort of free agent signing. We shouldn't get our hopes up for Ty Law or Rick DeMulling though. It's possible, but a few utility/depth guys are a lot more likely.

How many sacks has Jonas Jennings given up in his career and last season?

Jon

chevyjayce
03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I know that this has been explained many times, but say TD sticks with paying all of the bonuses this year, how much cap space will that clear up for the future????????????

bigbub2352
03-15-2005, 11:49 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens especially with both yng cbs as free agents, those guys need to be signed otherwise u are starting all over again

bigbub2352
03-15-2005, 11:49 AM
more rebuilding

ShadowHawk7
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd give Clements a bit more than what Smoot got. Don't forget our tags, I'd definitley use our transition tag on him next year if we haven't resigned him already. I think we'll get DeMulling, restructure MW, resign Clements, and then draft. I'm still hoping somehow we sign Corey Bradford to deem our top 3 WRs as one of the best trios in the league. Maybe add a low key utility signing too.

dannyek71
03-15-2005, 12:10 PM
With TD, you never know. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! :D
Yes, it was expected for us to make the playoffs last year, so he surpirsed us once again. And nobody could have expected a franchise to be rebuilding for half a decade +, so once again the great TD surprises us all

Ickybaluky
03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Don't forget our tags, I'd definitley use our transition tag on him next year if we haven't resigned him already.

Personally, I think use of the transition tag is stupid if the guy is going to be an attractive FA. All it does is give the right to match, which means you are letting someone else do your negotiating for you.

If your going to use the tag, it will probably be the franchise tag. Keep in mind, the franchise tender for a CB is $6.801M, and could go up next year (the transition tender is $5.698M, so it doesn't save much). Clements is probably worth that, rather than letting him go, but then the number rises by at least 20% each year.

It is definitely in the Bills interest to get Clements done long-term this year, and I'm sure it is a high priority. It is also likely that such a deal could be structured to be very cap-friendly for several years. However, it is also a likely that doing so will require a very large up front signing bonus, or combination of signing bonus with a guaranteed option bonus. Those will likely total at least $15M to get him done, or it really isn't in his interest to forego free agency.

Sportsuser101
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
From day 1 I have said that signing Clements long term should be the most important thing to do in the offseason. I still stand by that.

Michael82
03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
From day 1 I have said that signing Clements long term should be the most important thing to do in the offseason. I still stand by that.
I agree.

jamze132
03-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I agree that signing Clements long term is an important thing. However, if we can't and he wants the big $$$, than I say we franchise him next year. It will cost around
$7 mil for that but it's ok. Someone will want to trade with us for him. Any idea what we could possibly get in return? We would do fairly well. And who's to say we don't draft another CB or even sign Ty Law. He'd be cheaper than Clements anyways with the same level of play. Of course we could get a #1 for him too. I don't look at this as something that we have to bend over backwards to get done. Donahoe should offer him slightly more than the fair market value and if he wants a penny more than negotiations should be cut off. No player should have the upperhand in contract negotiations. Franchise and trade his ass. But hopefully it won't come to that and Clements will be fair. But something tells me that ain't happening. Come on, the guy has a plackard that says "playmaker". I hope I'm wrong.

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
i still think its hookers.

sdbillsfan1
03-15-2005, 03:20 PM
If I can trhow my 2 cents in ........could it be ,maybe Td has a plan to get us back into the first round ? Just my opinion. Call it a hunch!!! But the extra bucks would come in handy!

Mudflap1
03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Maybe. But why would he do it right now as opposed to next month or May or June?

Jon

Tatonka
03-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Maybe. But why would he do it right now as opposed to next month or May or June?

Jon

um.. the draft is april 24th.. why would he wait till may or june to make room for that?

Mudflap1
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Because he doesn't need to move the salaries around until he's ready to sign the draft picks. The picks usually get signed in late spring, with the higher rounders getting signed in July before camp/beginning of camp.

Jon

kgun12
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
It's not McDougle he just signed with the Fins! (yahoo)