PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Game in Mexico

Demon
03-15-2005, 10:47 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-nfl-mexico&prov=ap&type=lgns

I know it's a bit off topic, but we all worried it might be the Bills who'd play in Toronto or something. Looks like we're safe this season for playing all games at home. I don't really like the idea of playing out of the country, keep the sport in the cities that have teams.

But i guess if they can get a crowd, like 100,000 to see 2 of the worst teams, then it's a good idea. I just know if i was a fan and my home game was in like Toronto, i'd be pretty ticked off.

Pride
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I think it is stupid!

Why in the hell should we send a game to a country that does jack **** for us? Mexico is like the uncle noone wants around at Christmas time. Why should we get them a present?

The NFL needs to stop looking to expand. It already has 32 teams, any more and it will get so watered down. And I'd be damned if I am going to Mexico to watch an away game!

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Fanball.com's take:

The league is rumored to be tinkering with the idea of placing an expansion team in Mexico City one of these years, so we're not surprised to see them experiment by scheduling a regular season game in the market. However, those plans could change quickly if league officials spend any time inside the Cardinals' locker room after Dennis Green gorges on Mexican food for an entire weekend.

:lolpoint::fat:

generalmills
03-15-2005, 11:06 AM
49ers and Cards eh?? Thats like when you allow your dog to lick the cheese sauce mix from the side of a Kraft Dinner pot! Enjoy the "best we have to offer" Mexico! :loser:

OpIv37
03-15-2005, 12:17 PM
It will be a disaster. Remember a decade or so ago when Dallas played a preseason game there? (I think it was against the Oilers but don't recall at the moment). The field was poorly maintained and it rained- it was a complete mudbath. Fun as hell to watch but horribly dangerous for the players.

NJFINSFAN1
03-15-2005, 12:49 PM
If I'm a seaon ticket holder, I'm pissed!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-15-2005, 01:41 PM
What the hell is wrong with them having a game there? What the hell is wrong with an NFL team in Mexico? I think it is inevitable that at some point the NFL will expand to beyond these borders.....so why fight it? I would rather see a team in Mexico City than in LA or Columbus or some other boring place.

Carlton Bailey
03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
What the hell is wrong with them having a game there? What the hell is wrong with an NFL team in Mexico? I think it is inevitable that at some point the NFL will expand to beyond these borders.....so why fight it? I would rather see a team in Mexico City than in LA or Columbus or some other boring place.
No, it's an American sport. They're taking away an opportunity for SF or Arizona fans to go to a game at their stadium. I would want a refund on my season tickets if I was them. This is total garbage. Paul Tagliabue is a horrendous commissioner. He needs to go.

jamze132
03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't really care. It's not the Bills going to Mexico to play. However, if we did have to, I would try to go. Mexico has cheap beer. A bucket of cornona's on the beach is onyl 35 pesos!!!!!!!!

thebuffalobills4
03-15-2005, 03:58 PM
why are they going to have a game in mexico?? :question:

Mudflap1
03-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Same reason baseball plays games in Japan...

I don't have a problem with it because it was probably a game scheduled to be a Cardinals home game, and they don't spend money for their team, their fans don't go to see them play, so it's the most logical team to play there. I don't think the league would ever do that to a team that had a huge home fan base. After all, it's all about the money. 100,000 at this game is about 45,000 or 50,000 more than the Cards would draw at a normal home game against the 49ers anyway...

Jon

Typ0
03-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Same reason baseball plays games in Japan...

I don't have a problem with it because it was probably a game scheduled to be a Cardinals home game, and they don't spend money for their team, their fans don't go to see them play, so it's the most logical team to play there. I don't think the league would ever do that to a team that had a huge home fan base. After all, it's all about the money. 100,000 at this game is about 45,000 or 50,000 more than the Cards would draw at a normal home game against the 49ers anyway...

Jon

more like 90000 more :snicker:

I think it's a great idea to expand into other countries they have great markets for football. With the technology we have the world is getting smaller...I firmly believe NFL Europe was put in place to develop the market and eventually place teams accross the continent. Why fight it if it's bringing more $$$ into the league and making it better?

capitolneal
03-15-2005, 04:29 PM
guys look at the money the nfl will save in grounds fee hell are cap adjustment might be 100k, and where else can u get a beer for a dollar at a footbal game... tailgating with fried goat and whatever the grandma ran over on the way to the bullfi... errr the footbal game

sdbillsfan1
03-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Just a question...........do ya need a green card to play in Mexico ? Seems to be alot of talent down there ..they all seem to know how to run (and deek out the I.N.S.) Great fence jumpers (most lineman are much shorter) and would we really have to worry about a salary cap anymore ?.hmmmmmmmmm .I say say move the phins to Mexico......

Yes this was a joke !!!!

RetroRaiders81
03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Football in Mexico? I just don't see it happening. In madden you can move your team to Mexico city.

G. Host
03-15-2005, 07:46 PM
If I'm a seaon ticket holder, I'm pissed!

No, it's an American sport. They're taking away an opportunity for SF or Arizona fans to go to a game at their stadium. I would want a refund on my season tickets if I was them. This is total garbage. Paul Tagliabue is a horrendous commissioner. He needs to go.

Carlton seems to think a lot of people should go ....

Arizona already has said that it volunteered for the game and that season ticket holders will be compensated for the lost game; I am assuming that they still force season ticket holders to pay full price for preseason games and I am not sure if they have any premium seats but so far they have been consistant with NFL's general policy on pricing. Since the Cardinals are already one of the lowest attended games they will not lose as much as some other teams would losing a home game and I am more concerned about other teams going to Canada/Mexico for games particularily the Bills. While I love visiting Toronto I do not want to go to a Bills game there other than preseason.

Who loses most IMO are SF fans in Arizona.

SabreEleven
03-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Why in the hell should we send a game to a country that does jack **** for us?

They provide cheap labor.

ShadowHawk7
03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't mind having a new few football franchises in Mexico and Canada. It would open american football internationally more, and I think that would be good for it.

Captain gameboy
03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Believe it or not, I was in Mexico City last night. Left this morning

It isn't about gate receipts, in my opinion.
It's about TV revenue.
Mexico is a very big market for US football. Cowboy's crap everywhere.
That tells me they know about it.
But....if you check out their cable TV sports programming, its three soccer games.

NFL owners aren't stupid. Mexico City is about 25 million pop, and they'd have no TV competition except soccer.

If I was an owner, I'd be all over it.

Historian
03-16-2005, 05:43 AM
Arizona vs, SF...an ad exec's nightmare!

Bill Brasky
03-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Why in the hell should we send a game to a country that does jack **** for us?

What are you talking about? These illegal immigrants practially keep the Hanes (wife beaters), Huffy (bicycles), and Honda (civic) corporations in business. Plus they make great burritos.

Michael82
03-16-2005, 10:08 AM
IMO, this sets a very bad precedence. Why is the NFL into changing all this stuff and expanding more all the time when it already is the best out there. If you change it, you **** with something that is already good. Bad idea! This will result in Buffalo playing one game in Toronto, Dallas and others playing games in Mexico and it takes away home games from home fans. Yeah, they are compensated, but it's the fact that there are ONLY 8 home games. In the MLB, there are tons. In the NBA there are tons. That's why it works there. Why would you want to take 1 home game away from the fans that pay the price to go to all other 7 games? That's a slap in the face and really really sucks IMO.

Captain gameboy
03-16-2005, 11:29 AM
IMO, this sets a very bad precedence. Why is the NFL into changing all this stuff and expanding more all the time when it already is the best out there. If you change it, you **** with something that is already good. Bad idea!

Mike, this an owner's question, not a fan's.
An NFL franchise is an asset. It is desireable to add value to an asset.
I doubt it will happen soon, but TV and merchandise money is a top line addition.
The owners would want that.
The players would be the strongest advocates, because an increase in top line $ would cause a re-do of the cap.

The bottom line would be better if the NFL expanded and tapped into the over two billion or so that they are not, currently, marketing to.

Ebenezer
03-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Believe it or not, I was in Mexico City last night. Left this morning

It isn't about gate receipts, in my opinion.
It's about TV revenue.
Mexico is a very big market for US football. Cowboy's crap everywhere.
That tells me they know about it.
But....if you check out their cable TV sports programming, its three soccer games.

NFL owners aren't stupid. Mexico City is about 25 million pop, and they'd have no TV competition except soccer.

If I was an owner, I'd be all over it.

Mexico City also wants a little pay back with a real game after hosting Preseason games...but the money factor is the factor...

Mike, this an owner's question, not a fan's.
An NFL franchise is an asset. It is desireable to add value to an asset.
I doubt it will happen soon, but TV and merchandise money is a top line addition.
The owners would want that.
The players would be the strongest advocates, because an increase in top line $ would cause a re-do of the cap.

The bottom line would be better if the NFL expanded and tapped into the over two billion or so that they are not, currently, marketing to.

Ironic that the 1975 movie Rollerball was on last night...check it out...it's a little errie that a lot of the things that happened in that movie are coming true in modern sports...luxury boxes...corporate ownership...free agency...