X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Abraham mulls holdout

John Abraham's contract situation is starting to get messy.
    Talks between the Jets and their "franchise" player hit a brick wall Monday, when the club rejected a proposed long-term contract, Abraham's agents, Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, said yesterday.

Agnone and Rosa, miffed by what they perceive as a lack of urgency from the Jets, hinted that the star pass rusher might not report to training camp unless he gets a long-term deal. It also appears Abraham won't participate in the offseason program, which begins April 4.

"Obviously, he's looking for a commitment and stability," Agnone said. "At first, he was okay with the franchise tag, but he was kind of hoping it would lead to a long-term deal."

There's virtually no chance of that happening before July15. The window to sign a franchise player to a long-term contract closes today at 4 p.m. After that, there's a four-month blackout period. If the Jets were to sign Abraham during that period, they wouldn't be able to use the franchise tag on another player for the duration of that contract.

Chances are, Abraham will play the season for the amount of his franchise tender, $6.7 million, the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive ends. Agnone emphasized that Abraham has no plans to sign the tender anytime soon. Without a contract, he wouldn't be allowed in the offseason program.

Abraham's agents said they aren't demanding a trade, but they plan to shop him around the league, looking for potential suitors. Abraham is a non-exclusive franchise player, meaning he has the right to negotiate with other teams. But, if he signs an offer sheet, the Jets have the right of first refusal.

Because of the steep draft-pick compensation (the Jets would get two No.1 picks) Abraham isn't likely to generate much interest unless his agents can facilitate a trade. Jets GM Terry Bradway has said he has no plans to deal Abraham.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Anybody else get the impression that the Jets' entire chemistry emanating from the FO is just chaotic? No wonder no one is signing with them. It just feels like there is constant turmoil over there...

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
      NJ In The House
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Anybody else get the impression that the Jets' entire chemistry emanating from the FO is just chaotic? No wonder no one is signing with them. It just feels like there is constant turmoil over there...
      They need Wanny to come coach them!!!

Time To Ski!

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
        I am starting to think the same thing. it's a mess over there. Hopefully that will help in the NYC stadium situation, so that the whole thing falls thru. it is such a HUGE waste of money.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
          NJ In The House
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
          I am starting to think the same thing. it's a mess over there. Hopefully that will help in the NYC stadium situation, so that the whole thing falls thru. it is such a HUGE waste of money.
          I agree, the city needs schools, better busing to schools, more supplies for schools, and they want to spend money on a stadium and the olympics. I just don't get it.

Time To Ski!

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NJFINSFAN1
            I agree, the city needs schools, better busing to schools, more supplies for schools, and they want to spend money on a stadium and the olympics. I just don't get it.
            Gotta love New York. Their priorities are always ****ed up.

Comment

• kevinj22
              • Feb 2005

I hope that Abraham doesn't sign with the Jets, and I would love it if we were able to swing a deal to get him. They would have to do something, rather than letting him walk awy. He's worth a number 1 pick (late) or early #2.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

I just think that Herman Edwards doesn't have a good relationship with the FO. If they did, they wouldn't have half the problems they have.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                  Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                  • Jul 2002

They need Wanny to come coach them!!!
                  I would really enjoy if Wanny became their GM

God give me style and give me grace
                  God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• gobuffalo2007
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Now that lamont is gone they need a back up/ future back so why not trade henry for him?

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gobuffalo2007
                      Now that lamont is gone they need a back up/ future back so why not trade henry for him?
                      They already signed Derrick Blaylock to fill that role.

I don't understand why people think their is turmoil in the Jets front office? Abraham wants a gigantic deal which their front office is correct in thinking long and hard about. The guy is very talented as a pass rusher but he has a lot of baggage as well.

Comment

• GreenMachine
                        • Sep 2004

The Jets are offering to put a 600 million for that stadium. It would generate a ton of revenue, create thousands of jobs (constuction, event staff, maintenance, etc.) and bring in more tourist dollars (Super bowl, conventions, Olympics, etc.) Only the Short-sighted are against it.

Comment

• colin
                          Drew's my hero!
                          • Jul 2002

olympics in cities bring short term gains and long term pain, the "created jobs" come at an expense to the tax payers (all individuals) for the beneifit of only a few special interests. terrible idea

anyhow, abraham on this team would friggin huge. schoble, abraham, and whatever LB we send (or one of our safties) and you have a pretty kick ass pass rush.

i think a guy like that would be worth spending a draft pick and some future cap money, since there ain't much else available and we think we can replace the guys we let go for too high contracts.

personally i wanted that speed guy from philly, he wasn't expensive and is way fast, but abraham would be a force for us.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
                            NJ In The House
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by GreenMachine
                            The Jets are offering to put a 600 million for that stadium. It would generate a ton of revenue, create thousands of jobs (constuction, event staff, maintenance, etc.) and bring in more tourist dollars (Super bowl, conventions, Olympics, etc.) Only the Short-sighted are against it.
                            The problem is the people that live in that area don't want it and will fight it tooth and nail.

Do you know what the cost would be for security for the Suberbowl and Olympics??? Look at the hole Greece is in, billions of dollars spent on security. It makes no sense.

Time To Ski!

Comment

Working...
                            X