X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Squeeze Big Mike! $$$

The more that I think about it the more it bugs me...why are we paying MW so much freekin $$$$$$$$? I know he's being paid like a 4th pick and I was very happy with this improvement over the second half of the year, this dude needs to restructure the ole contract! When is that gonna happen?
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Bruce is Loose
    • Jul 2002

not till we need the cash - no reason to do it till we are gonna sign someone

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tanked
      not till we need the cash - no reason to do it till we are gonna sign someone
      Maybe it should have been done two days ago in order to offer DeMulling a bit more. It appears that it was a close offer from each team. It will be very interesting to see how much DeMulling received.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

yeah.. a cap figure that takes up over 10% of the entire teams salary cap is crazy.. it is crazy if that person is our best player.. but the fact that he is not even necessarily the best player on our pathetic line is what really makes it hard to stomach.. i understand that his contract is based on his draft spot.. and we obviously didnt know that the tub of goo was not going to be able to play LT when we drafted him at #4.. but it still doesnt stop the sting that it takes on the cap.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HurryUpTom
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
          yeah.. a cap figure that takes up over 10% of the entire teams salary cap is crazy.. it is crazy if that person is our best player.. but the fact that he is not even necessarily the best player on our pathetic line is what really makes it hard to stomach.. i understand that his contract is based on his draft spot.. and we obviously didnt know that the tub of goo was not going to be able to play LT when we drafted him at #4.. but it still doesnt stop the sting that it takes on the cap.
          What are Mike Williams future cap costs? Instead of restructuring, I'd rather see us renegotiate with him. If his cap costs are rising, which I'd expect, there is no way that he is going to be worth the money in the future. I'd rather take the hit early and get the books straight then string him along for longer.

Comment

• jpdex12
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by HurryUpTom
            What are Mike Williams future cap costs? Instead of restructuring, I'd rather see us renegotiate with him. If his cap costs are rising, which I'd expect, there is no way that he is going to be worth the money in the future. I'd rather take the hit early and get the books straight then string him along for longer.
            I'd do just the opposite. Give him a nice bonus now and push off the large salaries until later down the road that way we can dump him if need be and not get hurt. The bonus wouldn't be too much but enough to entice him to restructure.
            Check Clump's salary cap page or Billsdaily.com.

Comment

• HurryUpTom
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
              I'd do just the opposite. Give him a nice bonus now and push off the large salaries until later down the road that way we can dump him if need be and not get hurt. The bonus wouldn't be too much but enough to entice him to restructure.
              Check Clump's salary cap page or Billsdaily.com.
              If we give him a big bonus now, that will make it harder for us to cut him in the future ... when you cut someone, the unammortized portion of the bonus is counted against the cap. If we don't decrease the future salary earnings (which is what I meant by renegotiate as opposed to restructure), we'll end up in a situation like we were with Bledsoe where we bought some space last year at the price of space this year. yes, last year's space is marginally worth more than this year's, but for a team that should be developing, I'd rather we take the hit now with things instead of putting the cost into the future when we get all the pieces together.

Comment

• jpdex12
                • Jan 2005

If we give him a big bonus now, that will make it harder for us to cut him in the future ... when you cut someone, the unammortized portion of the bonus is counted against the cap. If we don't decrease the future salary earnings (which is what I meant by renegotiate as opposed to restructure), we'll end up in a situation like we were with Bledsoe where we bought some space last year at the price of space this year. yes, last year's space is marginally worth more than this year's, but for a team that should be developing, I'd rather we take the hit now with things instead of putting the cost into the future when we get all the pieces together.
                What are your thoughts Clumpy?

Comment

• jpdex12
                  • Jan 2005

If we give him a bonus now with the intention of lowering his per year salary in the future, but loading the majority of the salary into the last few years of his contract, wouldn't that lighten the burden of the cap hit we take in the next few years? I thought that was what we just did with Mould's restructuring. So he would be expendable in the near future if his production goes down. These guys want their guarenteed money now.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                    • Aug 2002

As it was stated, there's no point in doing this until the CAP space is required. Demulling signed with the Lions for one of two reasons. Either he liked them better or TD wasn't offering to pay him enough money. But don't get confused here. It's not that TD couldn't pay him enough, it's that TD doesn't overpay for players when he can avoid it. Drafting MW at #4 left TD in an unavoidable position. That's the kind of contracts #4's get.
                    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• HurryUpTom
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                      As it was stated, there's no point in doing this until the CAP space is required. Demulling signed with the Lions for one of two reasons. Either he liked them better or TD wasn't offering to pay him enough money. But don't get confused here. It's not that TD couldn't pay him enough, it's that TD doesn't overpay for players when he can avoid it. Drafting MW at #4 left TD in an unavoidable position. That's the kind of contracts #4's get.
                      I can understand that there is no urgency to get this done this week. However, I think there is urgency to Mike Williams future cap costs under control. I don't know what he's on the hook for next season, but normally contracts escalate throughout their length and if Williams is on the hook for more than $9 mil next season, then I think we should address his contract this season instead of waiting around.

Comment

• Slim
                        • Apr 2004

i still have some hope left in MW

Comment

• jpdex12
                          • Jan 2005

I can understand that there is no urgency to get this done this week. However, I think there is urgency to Mike Williams future cap costs under control. I don't know what he's on the hook for next season, but normally contracts escalate throughout their length and if Williams is on the hook for more than $9 mil next season, then I think we should address his contract this season instead of waiting around.
                          Why wait around until your window of opportunity arives and then closes because you weren't prepared? If a FA comes up all of a sudden and we don't immediately have the money to spend, oh well. That's not quite Tom's game, but you never know. If so many people think that he doesn't operate like that then what will be the point of heavily negotiating with Clements when the time comes and he wants big $$$? What's gonna happen if Willis is the stud that he appears to be and Rosenhaus wants TD's first grandchild? I don't even want to think about it!

Comment

• HurryUpTom
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
                            Why wait around until your window of opportunity arives and then closes because you weren't prepared? If a FA comes up all of a sudden and we don't immediately have the money to spend, oh well. That's not quite Tom's game, but you never know. If so many people think that he doesn't operate like that then what will be the point of heavily negotiating with Clements when the time comes and he wants big $$$? What's gonna happen if Willis is the stud that he appears to be and Rosenhaus wants TD's first grandchild? I don't even want to think about it!
                            I'm sorry, I don't know how your question relates to what I am saying?

I think we should be prepared for the future and part of that involves getting MW's contract in order. He is signed through to '07, and if it's built like a normal contract, his cost is going to escalate throughout. I'd rather we get that in line earlier, so that we can be prepared, instead of waiting around in the future and having him continually count this much. Basically, I think we should try and avoid Williams costing us $18 mil over the next 2 seasons. I'd rather we do something this season to avoid the upcoming hits instead of waiting around and just paying him the money because we don't have anything else to spend it on. The big escalator this season was known and the cap hit was known ... nothing was done about it. The more of these that we pile on, the more we're paying for a middle-of-the-road RT.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by slimschmittie
                              i still have some hope left in MW

it doesnt have anything to do with hope for him..

he could actually be the best RT in the entire league.. and is still not worth half of the 9 million he counts against the cap..
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X