PDA

View Full Version : NFL considering expanding instant replay

The Spaz
03-16-2005, 09:39 PM
The NFL is considering expanding instant replay to cover ``down by contact'' plays that previously were not included in reviews.

Atlanta general manager Rich McKay, chairman of the league's competition committee, said Wednesday the change will be considered next week in Maui at the annual league meetings.

In the past, replay has not applied to plays ruled dead because an official has blown a whistle calling the runner down.

``Those plays have been misunderstood,'' he said. ``What we're considering would allow for a recovery if replay shows the ball came out before the play was down -- even if the whistle has blown.''

This will be one of the few years that instant replay itself will not be discussed. It was extended last year for five years, although a proposal to put it in permanently was not approved.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings-replay&prov=ap&type=lgns

lordofgun
03-16-2005, 09:41 PM
This would be great, but players would have to keep fighting AFTER the whistle. I wonder if it'll cause any injuries or unjust penalties when players continnue to play post-whistle.

HurryUpTom
03-16-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't like the idea of having actions after the whistle count during a reviewed play (i.e. allowing a team to recover a fumble after a whistle has blown). I know that we've gotten ripped because this type of play isn't reviewable ... but think about that - the play isn't over after the whistle if this change goes into effect. So when is the play over? This just makes no sense at all.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2005, 01:42 AM
This would be great, but players would have to keep fighting AFTER the whistle. I wonder if it'll cause any injuries or unjust penalties when players continnue to play post-whistle.
Referees shouldn't be allowed to blow that stupid whistle for a questionable play anyway, especially if a fumble may seem to have occured.

Typ0
03-17-2005, 02:41 AM
no matter what you do they are still going to have to decide when to blow the whistle and when not to...they are just men.

I know since replay came in refs have waited longer to blow the whistle which makes sense. i'm not so sure about this still playing after the whistle is blown that's a whole planet full of worms.

OpIv37
03-17-2005, 07:25 AM
I'm completely in favor of this- those plays are some of the most controversial in football, and instant replay is meaningless without the ability to review this type of call.

Pride
03-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I have noticed that over the last year the refs waited on their whistles for an extra 2 seconds after a questionable play.

I think they did a great job this past season. There were many plays that were questionable, that the refs purposely did NOT blow their whistles.

I think this should be the standard. Teach the refs to wait on their whistles until the play is clearly finished... Enough of this down by contact crap.

This would fix alot of problems.

DarbyTheDinosaur
03-17-2005, 10:03 AM
There is no need for players to continue fighting after a whistle.

If the refs blow the whistle on a play that is found not to be "down-by-contact" then they could consult the replay, set every player up in their exact pose/location at the time of the whistle, back up and yell, "Go!" and watch the chaos ensue.

It would be like watching a bunch of kindergarteners play "Traffic Light"
(Not sure if anybody remembers this game...)

Ah, what the hell am I saying? I am rambling...too many pints this morning!

Happy Paddy's Day!